Argyle Eagles vs Canyon Eagles: State Semifinal D-1

regaleagle

In fact, the most exciting part of this matchup may be in the scheduling and venue selected for this game.  All attendees will be treated to a double-header if they  come early enough to see the Gunter/Canadian battle kick at 4 pm.  The venue at ACU is a super-nice new facility on campus......and there should be all kinds of different fans showing up to see both games in one Friday night playoff atmosphere........Texas High School Semifinals in the lower classifications.  Should be a treat for the Texas high school football junkie, for sure.  This stadium seats about 12,000 at capacity........so there should be plenty of tickets available for half-capacity at 6000 seats.  

The word is that Canyon has a pretty salty defense  and a very balanced offense like Argyle.......but I seriously doubt it's anything close to what Argyle has.  I figure Coach Rodgers and his staff will open up the gates and let the dogs loose on Friday night.......just to let everybody get a good strong dose of action.  He will want to give CJ  more attempts in the passing game and the receivers more chances and opportunities.  The O-line will need to tighten up their pass-blocking and become more proficient at their assignments whatever play is called. The RB's should have an easier time finding gaps since the defense won't be able to load up on the run if Argyle throws it more.  I think that's what we will see on Friday night......just my guess.

Last week against Paris CJ was 7 of 14 for 171 yds and 2 TD's passing......with two dropped balls right on target.  I think you can probably expect around 20 attempts(or more) this week.......just to give everybody a more well-rounded taste of the offense when the attack is more balanced and not so run-heavy.  Last week Argyle rushed for 306 yds from 6 different backs on 50 carries.......6.1 yds/carry.  Not really necessary with CJ and his receiving corps ready for action.

6 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Last week against Paris CJ was 7 of 14 for 171 yds and 2 TD's passing......with two dropped balls right on target.  I think you can probably expect around 20 attempts(or more) this week.......just to give everybody a more well-rounded taste of the offense when the attack is more balanced and not so run-heavy.  Last week Argyle rushed for 306 yds from 6 different backs on 50 carries.......6.1 yds/carry.  Not really necessary with CJ and his receiving corps ready for action.

Argyle by 14 to 21

This is their year. 

17 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Since most of us think Argyle wins it, let’s play the what if game.

What if Argyle played Carthage - who do you like?

I’ll take Carthage - admittedly all I know about Argyle is, they’re good.

The closest comparison I can think of might be a game like Aledo vs Denton Ryan in 5A........I'm sure there would be plenty of fans that would love to see that one too. 

6 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

The closest comparison I can think of might be a game like Aledo vs Denton Ryan in 5A........I'm sure there would be plenty of fans that would love to see that one too. 

Sorry, but I changed my post.   No doubt off topic, although interesting as hades.  😄

And yes, that game would fill a big stadium.

3 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Sorry, but I changed my post.   No doubt off topic, although interesting as hades.  😄

And yes, that game would fill a big stadium.

Inevitably after the State games, someone will go there.  Lol.  This would be an awesome year to see that game, but its obviously not happening so I don't see the need to go at each other's throats over it 😂

1 hour ago, mikehoncho said:

Inevitably after the State games, someone will go there.  Lol.  This would be an awesome year to see that game, but its obviously not happening so I don't see the need to go at each other's throats over it 😂

Lmbo, but heaven knows, they would.   😂

• LOL! 1

Canyon has a (12-1) record on the season, but I reckon from the post above it wasn't against top-notch competition.  They have won their playoff games, but even those were against some questionable competition.  It won't be long now.......maybe Canyon just played whoever was on the schedule and are really a darn good team.  You can't always look at who a team has played.......most of the time they just play whoever was on the schedule and however the playoff teams fell.  Canyon's only loss of the season was a bigtime district game against Dumas.

I totally expect Canyon to come out full bore.........just don't know exactly what full bore for Canyon consists of.  I know they have a really good QB that is also very accurate, and they supposedly have one excellent receiver and a couple of other dependable guys to go to.  I'm sure their team is worthy and will battle in the trenches.  But like I said, I don't think they have seen a team the caliber of an Argyle yet.......or even the caliber of a Paris, La Vega, Melissa, or Pleasant Grove. They did defeat HIrschi, Decatur, and Springtown........so they have shown that they deserve to be here in this game and will not be an easy out.  Argyle will still have to play with few mistakes and solid defense.  I think the Argyle offense will find ways to score.

Here's some stats on the season for Canyon in 13 games played so far:

225 yds/game passing and 195 yds/game rushing on the season.  Their QB is #16 Jay Defoor(6-2/210/Sr)......right at 2600 yds passing on the season and 2904 for the team this season.  I think he has been their starter at QB for 2 yrs now.  Their primary receiver is #18 Jack McKay(6-3/180/WR/Sr)......he has over 1200 yds receiving this season.  They have 2 more receivers catching 650+ and 700+ yds each also......and then a couple of others with a little less.  Canyon's best RB is #2 Brody Cook(5-10/170/Sr/RB/CB). He's rushed for 1248 yds in 12 games this season and is their main RB by far.  As a team, Canyon has rushed for 2609 yds in 13 games. This guy has 9 100-yard plus games rushing so far this season.

Canyon is averaging 37.8 pts/gm scoring in 13 games this season while allowing just 8 pts/gm.  Argyle averages 48.8 pts/gm in 14 games this season while allowing 14.8 pts/gm. against their schedule.  I have to believe that Argyle's numbers also included taking their foot off the gas in many, many games also with the starters on the sidelines in most games by the 4th qtr........not sure about Canyon's numbers.  Also, at least half of the total points scored against Argyle was done late in the game against the backups.......not sure about Canyon's defensive numbers in this regard, either.......but my guess would be they gave up some trash points during the season to lesser competition.