Secession

Olduy

I had to do an assignment on this matter in Tx Govt this semester.  When Texas was admitted into the union the Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas states that it can divide itself into 4-5 smaller states, but couldn’t leave the union.  Later, in 1869 in Supreme Court case Texas vs White the SC ruled that states could not secede.  In 2006 a screenwriter posed a question of secession the the SCOTUS and justice Antonin Scalia wrote, “The answer is clear,” Scalia wrote. “If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede. 

I don’t like it, but it is what it is.

7 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I had to do an assignment on this matter in Tx Govt this semester.  When Texas was admitted into the union the Joint Resolution for Annexing Texas states that it can divide itself into 4-5 smaller states, but couldn’t leave the union.  Later, in 1869 in Supreme Court case Texas vs White the SC ruled that states could not secede.  In 2006 a screenwriter posed a question of secession the the SCOTUS and justice Antonin Scalia wrote, “The answer is clear,” Scalia wrote. “If there was any constitutional issue resolved by the Civil War, it is that there is no right to secede. 

I understand what you are saying, but I don’t think you understand what the succession movement is saying 

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

And he is correct, we don’t “have” the right. We will have to take it, or let them destroy us to keep it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

But we are a “ voluntary Union of States”. If we no longer volunteer...........

10 hours ago, Hagar said:

It brings up many strange scenarios.   Would the US send troops?   Oh wait, 1 in 9 in our military are from Texas.   You really think they’ll attack their home State?   Just one of countless conundrums.

I am prior service military. If this scenario had happened while I was enlisted, it would definitely be a CONUNDRUM. I would not be involved in "attacking" or "invading" my home state under this scenario. 

12 hours ago, TTman7 said:

If the other states aren't bound to abide by the Constitution of the United States, then why should Texas abide by it, Resolutions, or SC rulings? 🤔

ZomboDroid 11102020111529.jpg

This.  If we become a banana republic that refuses to abide by it's own constitution,  just as these states that are being sued for not following their own laws,  then they will have been the one's who seceded, not the other way around.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

This.  If we become a banana republic that refuses to abide by it's own constitution,  just as these states that are being sued for not following their own laws,  then they will have been the one's who seceded, not the other way around.

I agree. You think there'd be a war shortly after the Secession? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TTman7 said:

I am prior service military. If this scenario had happened while I was enlisted, it would definitely be a CONUNDRUM. I would not be involved in "attacking" or "invading" my home state under this scenario. 

I was too.   No way I’d be attacking Texans.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TTman7 said:

Most of Non Texan-born soldiers wants nothing to do with Texas after just one Texas Summer.  They are like you can have it !

• Thanks 1