5A D1 Area: Longview vs Lancaster

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (8-2) vs Lancaster Tigers (10-0)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Lancaster in a close one
    • Lancaster in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/19/2020 at 01:30 AM

longview.pnglancaster.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (8-2) VS LANCASTER TIGERS (10-0)

DATE: Friday, December 18th
TIME: 7:30 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
LANCASTER BROADCAST: TexasSportsProductions.com
VIDEO STREAM: TexanLive.com

longview.pngLOBOS LEAD SERIES 1-0-0 longview.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a district contest.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Lobos have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Lancaster.
Longview has won the last meeting with the Tigers.
The two schools have never played at Mesquite Memorial Stadium.
The two schools have never played on December 18th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
11.21.2008 - Longview 49, Lancaster 22 - John E. Kincaide Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
Kaden Meredith, Markevion Haynes and Jalen Hale. The three headed monster has led the way for the Lobos all season long, and Friday night's match up with arch rival Lufkin was no different. Behind an impressive defense, the three Lobos rolled all over the Lufkin Panthers to the tune of 41-5. The 36 point victory was the largest margin of victory for Longview since 1976. The win gave Longview their first 5-game winning streak over Lufkin since 1989-1993. Lufkin continues to be winless in Lobo Stadium, dating back to the 2003 season. With three touchdowns on Friday night, Kaden Meredith set the new school record for touchdowns in a career, currently standing at 58. Meredith's three rushing scores also passed Fred Talley's school record for rushing scores in a career. Meredith now has 55 rushing tallies since 2018. Now the real gauntlet begins for the Lobos. Longview heads to Mesquite to take on the Lancaster Tigers, the third ranked team in the state at the end of the regular season. The Tigers have been rolling all season long. Lancaster, 10-0 for the first time in school history, has scored 587 points in 9 actual games played. Lancaster had one win by forfeit. More impressively, the Tigers have given up just 50 points all season long. Lancaster has topped 80 points in four games and recorded a shut out in three. For Longview, coming into this year's Area round game, the Lobos are looking to avenge last season's upset loss to Dallas Jesuit in the same round. The Rangers ended Longview's 27-game winning streak in that loss, 27-25. On Lancaster's side of things, the Tigers are looking to justify their status among the elite teams in Class 5A Division I. Last year, the Tigers were able to make it to the state quarterfinals before falling to Frisco Lone Star, 38-20. Longview and Lancaster have met once previously, also in the Area round. Back in 2008, the Lobos rushed for 372 yards which led the way to a 49-22 victory at Kincaide Stadium. One of the biggest things to note from that meeting was Longview setting a school record with a 99-yard interception return for a score in the fourth quarter of the game. Alonte Darden had that pick six. Of course, for Longview, that game was apart of a run that ended with the Lobos returning to the State Championship game for the first time in 11 years. Longview will be returning to Mesquite Memorial Stadium for the first time since 2016, when the Lobos knocked off North Mesquite, 49-35. The Lobos are 8-3 all-time at Mesquite Memorial Stadium, but the Lobos hold a 1-2 record in post season games at the stadium. The last time Longview visited Mesquite Memorial Stadium in the post season it turned out to be one of the darkest days in Lobo playoff history. Longview, in 2005, was ranked 3rd in the Class 5A AP poll to end the regular season and headed to Mesquite to take on 6-4 South Garland in the bi-district round. The game turned out to be a huge defensive battle until South Garland took a 14-13 lead with half a quarter to play. Longview would drive down deep inside Colonel territory, only to miss a 21-yard field goal with under 30 seconds to play and South Garland would hold on for their massive upset. Longview has lost in the Bi-District round just once since that day, going 14-1 in bi-district games with the only loss being on another missed field goal at Beaumont West Brook in 2016. It will be a slobber knocker of a game with both teams looking to advance to the Regional Semi-Finals.

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION II BI-DISTRICT RESULTS:
Denton Ryan 69, Dallas Bryan Adams 6
College Station 38 Sherman 26
Lancaster 29, Frisco Wakeland 6
Longview 41, Lufkin 5
Frisco Independence 58, Dallas Woodrow Wilson 19
Highland Park 56, New Caney 21
Frisco Lone Star 61, Dallas W.T. White 15
Magnolia 48, McKinney North 9

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION II AREA GAMES:
12/18 - W5 Denton Ryan (10-0) vs R8 College Station (10-1) - Waco ISD Stadium (Waco)
12/18 - W6 Lancaster (9-0) vs R7 Longview (8-2) - Mesquite Memorial Stadium (Mesquite)
12/17 - T5 Frisco Independence (5-4) vs W7 Highland Park (9-0) - Globe Life Field (Arlington)
12/18 - R5 Frisco Lone Star (6-3) vs W8 Magnolia (10-1) - Tiger Stadium (Corsicana)

WHAT’S AT STAKE:
The winner of today’s game game will take on the winner of Denton Ryan vs College Station in the Class 5A Division I Region II Semi Finals match up.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 8-2 (4-1)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (187-38 in 17 seasons) (Playoffs: 42-15)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 746-350-52 (Playoffs: 71-42-1)
Playoff Appearances: 46
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, Class 6A Division II Area Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
09.25 - v. Temple (in Arlington) - Loss 40-13
10.02 - at Marshall - Win 53-21
10.09 - vs Tyler Legacy - Win 37-14
10.15 - v. Beaumont West Brook (in Lufkin) - Win 51-28
10.23 - vs West Mesquite - Win 49-24
10.30 - at Wylie East - Win 52-17
11.06 - vs Highland Park - Loss 18-13
11.13 - at Sherman - Canceled
11.27 - vs McKinney North - Win 55-10
12.04 - at Tyler - Win 58-14
12.11 - Bi-District: Lufkin - Win 41-5
12.18 - Area: Lancaster

LANCASTER TIGERS
Record: 10-0 (7-0)
District: 6-5A Division 1
Coach: Chris Gilbert (89-35 in 10 seasons) (Playoffs: 16-7)
First Year of Football: 1919
All-Time Record: 507-434-30 (Playoffs: 24-23-0)
Playoff Appearances: 27
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, 5A Division I State Quarterfinal
State Championships (0): n/a
State Championship Appearances (1): 2012 (5A D2)
SCHEDULE:
10.08 - at Dallas Samuell - Win 81-0
10.16 - vs Carrollton Newman Smith - Win 82-6
10.22 - at Dallas Bryan Adams - Win 47-7
11.05 - vs Dallas Molina - Win 83-0
11.12 - at Carrollton R.L. Turner - Win 89-0
11.20 - vs Dallas Woodrow Wilson - Win 60-7
11.27 - at Dallas Sunset - Win 1-0 (Forfeit)
11.28 - at Grapevine - Win 61-21
12.03 - vs Dallas W.T. White - Win 55-3
12.11 - Bi-District: Frisco Wakeland - Win 29-6
12.18 - Area: Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: December 18th
In 1937, the Conroe Tigers hosted the Longview Lobos in the Class 1A State Semi-Final at Tiger Stadium. Dick Miller rushed for two scores, Ray Cantrell hauled in a 52 yard score and Don Fambrough tallied two second half scores as Longview ran all over the Tigers, 34-0. The Lobos rushed for 314 yards on the day, holding the Tigers to 156 total yards.

lobohowl2.GIF

Small note...

The safety Lufkin got was the 2nd the Lobos have given up this season (also gave up one in the 4th quarter against Temple). First time since 1999 the Lobos have surrendered two safeties in one season.

Also only the second time ever in school history to surrender two in one season.

18th safety given up in school history (that I've been able to record so far at least).

Between giving up two, and recording two themselves, Longview fans have seen four safeties in 10 games this season.

Lancaster is going to be a beast this week...they will be the most athletically talented team we have faced across the board and can literally score from anywhere on the field...we have got to keep mistakes down and just grind it out...going to be a great game...

37 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

Lancaster is going to be a beast this week...they will be the most athletically talented team we have faced across the board and can literally score from anywhere on the field...we have got to keep mistakes down and just grind it out...going to be a great game...

The long snapping position needs to get figured out STAT!!

Well, nothing but truly quality opponents the rest of the way. Looking forward to seeing how this team handles it.

I've already spoke my peace on Lancaster many times so wont go into depth on the matchup...I'll just say that this is probably the most talented Lancaster team ever.

I've always had a clear belief about Southern Dallas County schools though that I'll share. I don't care if its Cedar Hill, DV...whoever. Longview's style of football naturally is matchup problem for them because they play more of a finesse, not always disciplined style of football rather than physical style. You saw this both times Longview played those good Desoto teams back to back years and in 2010....we had a pretty healthy lead on Desoto before they started coming back. Lancaster didnt quite have the talent they have now but you also saw it when we played em in the playoffs in 08.

Play Lobo ball, and we advance. Hope my Bos can pull it off.

• Like 1

Sherman vs College Station is the last game in Region II to be played this weekend. 2 PM kickoff for anyone wanting to watch.

https://www.texanlive.com/2020/12/sherman-vs-college-station-12-12-2020-200pm-football-cougar-field-bi-district-playoffs/

Winner takes on Denton Ryan next week (on our side of the bracket).

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

Sherman vs College Station is the last game in Region II to be played this weekend. 2 PM kickoff for anyone wanting to watch.

https://www.texanlive.com/2020/12/sherman-vs-college-station-12-12-2020-200pm-football-cougar-field-bi-district-playoffs/

Winner takes on Denton Ryan next week (on our side of the bracket).

College Station-Denton Ryan.....you could add that to the long list of good 5AD1 second round matchups this week if College Station can advance.

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

The long snapping position needs to get figured out STAT!!

I can't believe that we are this far and having a problem like this...I hope it doesn't come back to haunt us in a close game...but it is a young team and anything can happen...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

Well, nothing but truly quality opponents the rest of the way. Looking forward to seeing how this team handles it.

I've already spoke my peace on Lancaster many times so wont go into depth on the matchup...I'll just say that this is probably the most talented Lancaster team ever.

As far as this season goes...we are about as far as I thought we would get with a good defense and KM.  I thought our ranking and preseason predictions were based on the type of program we had more than what was taking the field...for me, everything beyond this past Friday is a bonus.  We are now into playing teams that SHOULD beat us on paper, so it is on them...I think we have nothing really to prove...but will say without hesitation, if this team can control penalties, turnovers, and have a consistent and complimentary passing game, this team can play with anyone in 5AD1...I hope these guys achieve what they deserve... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingwolf said:

As far as this season goes...we are about as far as I thought we would get with a good defense and KM.  I thought our ranking and preseason predictions were based on the type of program we had more than what was taking the field...for me, everything beyond this past Friday is a bonus.  We are now into playing teams that SHOULD beat us on paper, so it is on them...I think we have nothing really to prove...but will say without hesitation, if this team can control penalties, turnovers, and have a consistent and complimentary passing game, this team can play with anyone in 5AD1...I hope these guys achieve what they deserve... 

Great post. And no doubt the truth.

• Thanks 1