Friday, December 18, 2020 AT&T Stadium Dallas Texas.. Carthage Bulldogs vs Gilmer Buckeyes

CarthDawg77

State Championship  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who Ya Got?

• Gilmer Buckeyes
    • Carthage Bulldogs

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/18/2020 at 06:00 PM

23 minutes ago, chevyman said:

Could next years Carthage D be better than this year with the amount returning?

Barring injuries to the main players, yes it should be improved.  8 guys returning with multiple starts.......2 very athletic sophomores(jrs next year) with 8 months of strength training should also be very good - depending on how much those 2 grow, could play DE, LB, or safety. 
NG was listed at 265 - he could be weighing 280-285 by next year and still look like he weighs 230.  

Pot calling the kettle black on running score up. Gilmer hung 73 on Atlanta early in the year for a 47 pt margin and beat North Lamar 54 to 0. Our margin was 56 so not much difference.

I also don't see how going for it on 4th down and giving defense a chance for a stop at the end of the game vs kicking a field goal which was almost automatic is showing disrespect. 

If gilmer could have scored 70 on carthage it would be a different story don't you think

gilmer has scored 70 on seveal teams in the past and was proud of it and im sure they will 

do it again.but this happened in the (SS) game.It not the same,as everybody is saying this could 

have easily been a 90 point game no doubt.

• Like 1

I don’t see any reason for anyone to be mad about anything that happened yesterday. 
Gilmer started the game great. Hats off to their staff for the creativity and the offensive game plan. It had the Dawgs on their heels from the start.

Carthage’s coaching staff made some great adjustments to their defensive scheme and Gilmer just couldn’t find a way to move the ball afterward.

Gilmer should have been excited going up two scores. I got no problem with them celebrating. Nobody outside of Upshur county gave them a chance. Those kids played hard and didn’t quit, in a game where they knew pretty early they couldn’t win. 
I don’t believe in running up the score. If the team that is losing sends word across they are gonna stop trying to come back, then maybe I’ll stop running my offense. Until then, you do exactly what the Dawgs did. Slow down, run the ball, put in the 2’s. Can’t ask for much more than that.

33 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Some Carthage posters here on SDC have stated the defense will be better next year.

If it is it makes me think we could be in for a little different style football out of the Bulldogs next season. 

You think the offense will be carried more by the defense next year?

36 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Some Carthage posters here on SDC have stated the defense will be better next year.

If it is it makes me think we could be in for a little different style football out of the Bulldogs next season. 

I do think the defense will be even better. Returning 9 starters, odds are right? 

And as long as key new starters on offense perform up to the typical Carthage standard alongside the returning skill players there is a good chance we make this another 3peat. 

1 minute ago, chevyman said:

I think breaking in new starters at QB and RB, it will help immensely to have such a good defense. I don’t know if I’d say Carry them though. I think the next kids up for each position will be good enough 

2 minutes ago, chevyman said:

I do. I think the offense will be a quality unit and the QB will have different capabilities than many Bulldog quarterbacks of the Surratt Era. I just feel like the offense without Horton and Courtney is liable to take a step back next year, and that may be ok, because the defense will be there to help tote the load and win games.

2 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I think breaking in new starters at QB and RB, it will help immensely to have such a good defense. I don’t know if I’d say Carry them though. I think the next kids up for each position will be good enough 

I agree. The offense may have a little different look with J-Roq back there. I doubt they have a lot of designed qb runs, but probably will have a few. He showed it in the game yesterday that he can run!

8 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

Man I think the offense will be better next yr it’s something about having a duel threat QB and I’ve seen the kid throw it will not be a drop off at all. Now the only thing that will be different is the oline but they will get it down fast 

I hope you’re right, and just hope we don’t have to rely too much on Roq’s legs because his passing isn’t up to snuff. Not saying his passing won’t be adequate just being cautious.

21 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I do think the defense will be even better. Returning 9 starters, odds are right? 

And as long as key new starters on offense perform up to the typical Carthage standard alongside the returning skill players there is a good chance we make this another 3peat. 

#56, 16, and 7 were full time starters all year

3 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

So 8 returning starters, correct?

Had 4 senior starters most of the year........but #13 had multiple starts........so either 7 or 8, depending on perspective.........I will say 8 because #13 started the championship game.  

So do y’all think our offense will just be a carbon copy of what we’ve seen the last two years or will we throw in a few designed QB runs per game and we should expect to see J-Roq in some rollouts and RPO’s or where he drops back and takes off much much more often than Horton did?

I think we’ll see all of those things and like one of our Gilmer friends stated a page ago it adds another dimension for defenses to have to plan for and defend during the game. 

11 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

When wondering about how the offense will be next year my answer is that it will be just fine.  How many td's did our backups score in the playoffs? 3-4, I think. All is well in Dawgville. Woof woof!

Coaching staff has normally developed a good offensive line......but had 4 senior starters on the offensive line plus the tight end.........and when the backups came in, unfortunately for next year, most of those guys were seniors as well........I am not saying the offensive line will not be good or even great, but it will take work. 

7 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Coaching staff has normally developed a good offensive line......but had 4 senior starters on the offensive line plus the tight end.........and when the backups came in, unfortunately for next year, most of those guys were seniors as well........I am not saying the offensive line will not be good or even great, but it will take work. 

Got most of D coming back,  O just needs to score a couple td's per game until they can find their mojo.

• Like 1