Texas High v Crosby

bordertown

The teams will clash on Friday 12-18 at SFA. I believe the game will be live-streamed on Texarkana Gameday.  I have no knowledge on Crosby. They come into the game with a 66-0 win over Willowridge. If you have read my posts in the past, I am reserved in forecasting the outcome of games. However, this week I will deviate from my past practice. I believe the Tigers will win by at least 21 points. I have read some that believe it will be a struggle. I hope the players adopt that point of view. While I believe the defense came to play, it felt as though the offense thought it would be easy against Lake Creek.

The rationale for my prediction is based on a computer ranking system - Calpreps.com.  I put little stock in the program for the first 7 weeks of a season. But deeper into the season, their algorithms seem to reveal truths. They currently rank Texas High #5 in 5A Div 2 and Crosby #20 out of approximately 130 schools. Crosby shellacked a #79 ranked school in Willowridge. As a point of reference, Hallsville is ranked #83. Yes, I understand the computers do not play the games except on EA Sports.

If the Tigers do not look beyond Crosby to a potential matchup with Huntsville, I believe they will prevail by three touchdowns.

Edited by bordertown

Definitely going to be a good game. I see thigh pulling away in the 2nd half as well. Offense looked out of rhythm all night. Passing game was definitely off. Defense played good again, gave up one big run in the first half then stalled the drive and one in the second after a nice punt return for LC. defense prob finished with 8 sacks 

Good estimate RonLigma, according to the Texarkana Gazette article, the Tiger defense had 9 sacks and 15 tackles for loss.   Other than the one long run that appeared to me to be as a result of a really good trap block by the LC offensive line, the LC offense was never a threat to move the ball.  Crosby's offense appears to similar in design to LC, but they have a quarterback who is a real threat with the ball in his hands.   In that respect, the offense may have more in common with the Frisco Independence offense that knocked Texas High out of the playoffs last year.   Last night, the Tigers were not threatened with the quarterback run.   Next Friday, they will be.   

On the other side of the ball, I have some concern about what I saw last night.  LC's defensive line was not physically imposing, but they held up very well against the Tigers offensive line.   When the Tigers tried to grind it out with the inside run, the offense could not put together a drive.   When it was an obvious throwing down, McHenry was pressured consistently.   Overall, the passing game was okay, but not dominating.  I was impressed with the pass defense played by the LC secondary.   

Bottom line:   I am not confident that Texas High can beat Crosby with anything less than its best game. 

I don’t give a flip about Cal Prep.  Underestimate Crosby at your own risk.  They put 44 on the Huntsville defense last year.  It’s a tough 2nd round matchup for Texas High and they will need to bring their A game.  Predicting a 21 point win is pretty lofty.  

Pulling for the Tigers!

But expecting a 21 point win over Crosby... I dunno..... 

Considering THS’ struggles with Nac and for a half with Lake Creek.....a 3 score win over a Crosby team that’s significantly better than either one of their previous opponents seems unlikely. 

But ultimately.... no matter if you win by 1 or 21.... a win is a win.  

Crosby will be a tough game for the Tigers.   I do think the Tigers win but not in blowout fashion.   2 of their losses came from 6A GR and a good Manvel team.  The other loss was for the district title to a good Nederland team.    Crosby has some playmakers on O that the Tigers will need to take care of.   Crosby O scores 44 per and the D gives up 19 per.  

Texas High 27

Crosby 21

I think Lake Creek deserves more credit for Texas High's slow start. The weather was also a factor that seemed to hurt Lake Creek more. The game was tied in the third quarter when Texas High got a big return. There was an obvious block in the back on the Tigers that wasn't called. At that point that penalty was huge. I do believe Texas high would have still won the game easily. I thought the Lake Creek pass rush and secondary coverage was the reason for the Tigers' passing problems. They still passed for 195 yards and 3 TDs, which is pretty darn good. I know nothing about Crosby, but any team that scores 66 points in a playoff game cannot be overlooked. I'm pulling for Texas High, but the Tigers must get better every week.

No doubt, Texas High is talented...  but they seem to play down to the team they’re playing. I saw that here in Jacksonville when Texas High came here.

In the playoffs that is a fatal mistake. I don’t know much about Crosby..... but I doubt they have the talent THigh has. Nevertheless, THigh can’t afford to “spot” Crosby the same first half they spotted Lake Creek. Start faster, finish... Go Tigers!! 

• Like 1

If T-High gets the ground game geared up to control the clock and open up the passing lanes it will more than likely be a long night for Cosby.

T-High needs the (# 2) first stringer Running back to return to the offensive lineup to get the run game going.

Cosby does have one or two good wide outs and a QB that can move ball down field.   We don't see Cosby moving the ball on the ground against T-High defense.

T-High needs to make Cosby throw the ball to win the game.  T-High will have the best defensive line & defensive backfield Cosby has seen this season.

IMHO think T-high take this one to the house and will play Huntsville next week. 

1 hour ago, WildTexan said:

If T-High gets the ground game geared up to control the clock and open up the passing lanes it will more than likely be a long night for Cosby.

T-High needs the (# 2) first stringer Running back to return to the offensive lineup to get the run game going.

Cosby does have one or two good wide outs and a QB that can move ball down field.   We don't see Cosby moving the ball on the ground against T-High defense.

T-High needs to make Cosby throw the ball to win the game.  T-High will have the best defensive line & defensive backfield Cosby has seen this season.

IMHO think T-high take this one to the house and will play Huntsville next week. 

I think thigh will be up for it. The dline has been a force against the run all year, hopefully that doesn’t change, the secondary has been the question... the qb and wrs Crosby have are good I can see them having some success through the air. If the pressure from the dline is anywhere near what’ it has been then I’m thinking they can get the qb out of rhythm. a lot comes down to tigers offense imo. LC deserves credit but I believe the offense is much better than they showed Friday night. the game could have easily been. 20-0 in the first half. Oline played very poorly mchenry was on the run a lot, again credit to LC they played hard and were prepared.  I believe they were tied with Huntsville going in to the 2nd half earlier this year so they have shown they can play. Like @Mattmentioned they have shown to play to the level of the competition, wish that wasn’t the case. Mchenry has gotten a lot of credit for being an accurate passer and he was far from that on Friday which of course has a lot to do with the pressure that was there in the first half. Crosby will def matchup with thigh better than anyone else has but if the oline can keep the pressure off of him I see him making a lot of the throws he missed on Friday night. 

I agree they need the starting rb playing this week. He played one series and broke a run for about 25 yards before stepping out of bounds and then never returned 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WildTexan said:

I highly doubt Thigh defensive line and backfield are better than Manvel. 

1 hour ago, LightningEagle said:

I highly doubt Thigh defensive line and backfield are better than Manvel. 

The significant word in your sentence is “and”.  Obviously, I have not seen Manvel. Their secondary may be better than Texas High’s. However, I doubt Crosby has seen a defensive line like the Tigers. I will welcome your view after the game.  The strength of the Texas High defensive line are their two ends. Clayton Smith #10, a senior, is a 4* signee with OU. He is ranked by Rivals as #33 in the nation, #7 in the state, and #2 outside linebacker. Derrick Brown #41, a junior, is a projected as a mere 3* by Rivals in 2022. Rivals has just discovered Brown. He is currently ranked #59 in the 2022 class in Texas. Both are projected as outside linebackers at the next level. Pick your poison on which one you double team. Most chose Smith and as a result, Brown leads the team in tackles. The two tackles may not be D1 material, but they get pressure up the middle and keep blockers off the linebackers. The secondary for Texas High may be untested compared to their peers. The pressure by the DL has caused opposing QBs to rush their passes and thrown off the timing. To me you neutralize the Tiger DL, you have to have a quick OL. If the tackles are not quick, the QB will feel the pressure. We will see Friday.

1 hour ago, bordertown said:

The significant word in your sentence is “and”.  Obviously, I have not seen Manvel. Their secondary may be better than Texas High’s. However, I doubt Crosby has seen a defensive line like the Tigers. I will welcome your view after the game.  The strength of the Texas High defensive line are their two ends. Clayton Smith #10, a senior, is a 4* signee with OU. He is ranked by Rivals as #33 in the nation, #7 in the state, and #2 outside linebacker. Derrick Brown #41, a junior, is a projected as a mere 3* by Rivals in 2022. Rivals has just discovered Brown. He is currently ranked #59 in the 2022 class in Texas. Both are projected as outside linebackers at the next level. Pick your poison on which one you double team. Most chose Smith and as a result, Brown leads the team in tackles. The two tackles may not be D1 material, but they get pressure up the middle and keep blockers off the linebackers. The secondary for Texas High may be untested compared to their peers. The pressure by the DL has caused opposing QBs to rush their passes and thrown off the timing. To me you neutralize the Tiger DL, you have to have a quick OL. If the tackles are not quick, the QB will feel the pressure. We will see Friday.

Can’t wait to see them play. I’m looking forward to a really good game. 
I was just responding to a poster who made the statement. Manvel is good was all I was trying to get across and it showed in the final score with Crosby.

The Crosby fans and other posters over on SETXSports seem to be very confident about Crosby's chances in the match up with Texas High, who they say is "overhyped".   They observe that the T-High offensive line is "massive, but slow" and allow pressure on the quarterback.   All predictions so far are for a Crosby victory.   I see predictions like 42-21, 42-28 and Crosby by 14.  

• Roll Eyes 1