Coach Art Briles has resigned at Mt. Vernon

sportsfan4life

1 minute ago, highschoolfootball99 said:

So he lied to a bunch of kids. I wish he would of just said fellas D1 is calling and I have to take it. 

Yea i mean anyone with any knowledge at all knew he would be trying his best to get back to the higher ranks. If anyone in MV is shocked today well they are just delusional.

Just now, chevyman said:

Yea i mean anyone with any knowledge at all knew he would be trying his best to get back to the higher ranks. If anyone in MV is shocked today well they are just delusional.

No need to lie to Hs kid man they ain’t dumb and they also understand getting out of town to D1 bc that’s what they are all trying to do.

• Roll Eyes 1

Just now, Eagleborn said:

Who’s a good choice for MV now?  Someone on staff? Completely clean house?

My idea is it will be another clean house. I only say that due to every one of the coaches on staff currently came with AB and had a tie to him and no ties to MV so i would be very surprised to see any of them stay.

20 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

I get not being able to tell them where he is going yet. But just tell them he's pursuing other opportunities, if that is in fact what he's doing. Don't lie to them. 

Aint nothing happened yet, so let's slow the roll on all this lying talk. He very well could be enjoying the next month or two enjoying being a grandpa and when or if the other opportunities arise, he does his thing. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, chevyman said:

I didn’t expect him to stay after his two year contract from the very beginning. In my opinion, it will be another clean house of coaches. Hopefully MV can make the hire early and get the new HC in there because we have a pretty good set of kids coming back. 

21 minutes ago, TheShadowKnows said:

Aint nothing happened yet, so let's slow the roll on all this lying talk. He very well could be enjoying the next month or two enjoying being a grandpa and when or if the other opportunities arise, he does his thing. 

Lol, I was responding to others saying that too. Thats why I said, IF that's what he's doing. My point was if he wants to not coach, more power to him. But if he's pursuing other opportunities just tell them that. No one in MV expected him to stay there forever. Or if they did, they were blind. 

Just now, Blazin97 said:

I didn’t expect him to stay after his two year contract from the very beginning. In my opinion, it will be another clean house of coaches. Hopefully MV can make the hire early and get the new HC in there because we have a pretty good set of kids coming back. 

I agree and i think that will be key. If i was guessing, they will have some good prospects/someone potentially hired by the time the kids get back from Christmas break.

5 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Lol, I was responding to others saying that too. Thats why I said, IF that's what he's doing. My point was if he wants to not coach, more power to him. But if he's pursuing other opportunities just tell them that. No one in MV expected him to stay there forever. Or if they did, they were blind. 

I think there was a few false hopers, but the majority of MV fans that I talked to didn’t expect to keep him long. 

Just now, Blazin97 said:

I think there was a few false hopers, but the majority of MV fans that I talked to didn’t expect to keep him long. 

True. And it's like that most places when you get a successful coach in place. Everyone would like to believe they'll never leave. But in most cases, at any level, that doesn't happen.  

Hopefully MV can get someone in place quickly and keep on trucking. 

Finney helped bring the MV program from the ashes and back to relevance in his time there. Briles walked in to a great situation and continued what had already started under Finney. Anyone who only wants to credit AB for the current state of the program might be even more delusional than those who thought he would stay one minute past his duties on the football field.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, chevyman said:

Finney helped bring the MV program from the ashes and back to relevance in his time there. Briles walked in to a great situation and continued what had already started under Finney. Anyone who only wants to credit AB for the current state of the program might be even more delusional than those who thought he would stay one minute past his duties on the football field.

This was the longest run in school history. You gonna credit Finney for that too? Finney may be a good coach but he ain’t #CAB. Talk about bringing a program from ashes see UofH , Baylor, Hamlin  and Stephenville to name a few and see what all 3 have done since he left. I don’t think you can compare those two coaches, IMO.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, randomuser said:

This was the longest run in school history. You gonna credit Finney for that too? Finney may be a good coach but he ain’t #CAB. Talk about bringing a program from ashes see UofH , Baylor, Hamlin  and Stephenville to name a few and see what all 3 have done since he left. I don’t think you can compare those two coaches, IMO.

Not comparing them one bit. Id take Finney every day of the week and twice on Sunday. My point was that AB walked into a culture of kids that learned how to win under Finney and made it a very easy transition for him. The state of the program and their success this year are two different things. Obviously AB should get the credit for this season cause he was the coach. The larger point was that AB walked into a program that was stable and had a mindset and culture of winning due to Finney.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chevyman said:

Not comparing them one bit. Id take Finney every day of the week and twice on Sunday. My point was that AB walked into a culture of kids that learned how to win under Finney and made it a very easy transition for him. The state of the program and their success this year are two different things. Obviously AB should get the credit for this season cause he was the coach. The larger point was that AB walked into a program that was stable and had a mindset and culture of winning due to Finney.

Fair enough.

AB did not lie to anyone. Served two years of football and that  is all anyone including Ray Charles, Jose Feliciano, and Stevie Wonder could see coming. Now lets talk about what MV got. They got more exposure than any program of that size could dream of, established the premise that if you can coach these  kids they will play their *** off for you, exposed what a good place to live it truly is, and so much more. Looks likes both sides won and I bet they get a good hire from all AB brought to them.

Freeze and Briles were simply sent into “Coach Purgatory” until the heat calmed down. No offense to Mt. Vernon there. Dave Bliss at SMU literally helped cover up a murder.... and even he got to coach again. It was at an NAIA school but still.... ADs only need the right boosters $$ and the school president to back their hires. Briles and Freeze can coach. They can recruit. It all depends on how heavy the baggage is and who’s willing to carry it at these schools. 

4 hours ago, chevyman said:

I hate all the posts about Art Briles “turning around the program”. Finney and that hard nosed never die group of kids before these turned around the program. My little bro was QB both years under Finney when they went two and three rounds deep. The winning culture was already established, Briles came and had a 1st round exit and a great year this year, but the ball had to bounce his way to make it as far as we did. Both great coaches 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1