Coach Art Briles has resigned at Mt. Vernon

sportsfan4life

I think it will be interesting to see what the new coach and staff will have in mind from an offensive standpoint. AB was very fortunate to have the exact type of quarterback he needed "fall" into his lap and be able to be the general of the offense. With Nellors graduation comes the question of, do they want to hire someone with a similar offensive thought process? or someone with a more traditional run first attack? All valid questions i believe that will be more important than just wanting to make another splash hire. Just my opinion

3 minutes ago, chevyman said:

I think it will be interesting to see what the new coach and staff will have in mind from an offensive standpoint. AB was very fortunate to have the exact type of quarterback he needed "fall" into his lap and be able to be the general of the offense. With Nellors graduation comes the question of, do they want to hire someone with a similar offensive thought process? or someone with a more traditional run first attack? All valid questions i believe that will be more important than just wanting to make another splash hire. Just my opinion

SPLIT BACK VEER! I know just the guy.

5 minutes ago, chevyman said:

A couple of the coaches that came with Briles bought houses in Mt Vernon, and have kids that go to school and seem happy. Could possibly hire within but who knows 

2 minutes ago, Blazin97 said:

A couple of the coaches that came with Briles bought houses in Mt Vernon, and have kids that go to school and seem happy. Could possibly hire within but who knows 

Might not be a bad thing either to at least give one of those guys a chance. I would assume those coaches would have a good realm of contacts to be able to reach out to as well to potentially bring on board. All depends on what Supt JM wants to do. I would like to think they would want to find someone who might want to stay longer than just a year or 2

I'm curious at the applicants here. I'm sure they'll be good but would you want to be the guy to follow Briles? And you probably aren't getting the benefit of any transfers. Back to playing with MV kids only. Not bad but some major pieces were just following the Briles train the past couple years. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

I'm curious at the applicants here. I'm sure they'll be good but would you want to be the guy to follow Briles? And you probably aren't getting the benefit of any transfers. Back to playing with MV kids only. Not bad but some major pieces were just following the Briles train the past couple years. 

Per UIL rules, kids are not allowed to transfer schools for athletic purposes. Briles didn't get any transfers. That just doesn't happen in Texas.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 4

22 hours ago, randomuser said:

This was the longest run in school history. You gonna credit Finney for that too? Finney may be a good coach but he ain’t #CAB. Talk about bringing a program from ashes see UofH , Baylor, Hamlin  and Stephenville to name a few and see what all 3 have done since he left. I don’t think you can compare those two coaches, IMO.

No, but head to head, Finney 1- Briles 1, and Briles had a few ineligible players the first year? just sayin.

10 minutes ago, Olduy said:

Until they could find another one

Lol. Wouldn't have been surprised to see Briles go there. But once Tech put a statement out they were keeping him, it looked more unlikely. Wouldn't be as surprised to see him go there as OC, with the understanding that he will be the next head coach.  

1 minute ago, dillonpanthers said:

Lol. Wouldn't have been surprised to see Briles go there. But once Tech put a statement out they were keeping him, it looked more unlikely. Wouldn't be as surprised to see him go there as OC, with the understanding that he will be the next head coach.  

I would honestly rather coach at Mt Vernon that Texas Tech. Have any of you ever been to Lubbock?

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

On 12/15/2020 at 2:35 PM, TigerNahum17 said:

No, but head to head, Finney 1- Briles 1, and Briles had a few ineligible players the first year? just sayin.

Just curious, seems to be a lot of love for Finney on this board. How many rings does he have? What school did he have the most success with.  Not that familiar with his resume. 

9 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Just curious, seems to be a lot of love for Finney on this board. How many rings does he have? What school did he have the most success with.  Not that familiar with his resume. 

Sometimes people can like a coach for the impact he has on the kids. Teaching young men how to be good husbands/fathers—- I would take Finley over Briles on that pretty much any day. That’s what coaching is about. You don’t have a full comprehension of what TXHSFootball means to this state and these small towns.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DeKlabBeers said:

Sometimes people can like a coach for the impact he has on the kids. Teaching young men how to be good husbands/fathers—- I would take Finley over Briles on that pretty much any day. That’s what coaching is about. You don’t have a full comprehension of what TXHSFootball means to this state and these small towns.

I have a very good comprehension of what TXHS football is about. Not sure what kind of impact you can have on kids when you move from job to job every few years. Isn't that Finney's MO. I understand being a homer and backing your Coach, but give me a break. 

26 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

I have a very good comprehension of what TXHS football is about. Not sure what kind of impact you can have on kids when you move from job to job every few years. Isn't that Finney's MO. I understand being a homer and backing your Coach, but give me a break. 

How long was Briles at MV? Because I thought it was only 2 years. But it’s been stated on here that I’m not very smart.

12 hours ago, eagle34 said:

If you dont like Finney you can just come out and say it. Not a big deal to put it out there. As far as how many rings he has, its zero but last time i checked there are lots of coaches out there that have zero but are still considered good coaches. As far as time frames at places, i cant speak to any of that but i know he was at MV 5-6 years and hes been here for 2 and will be many more to come so thats that. Hes won everywhere he has been and most of those were dumpster fires before he got there so clearly hes done something right.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chevyman said:

If you dont like Finney you can just come out and say it. Not a big deal to put it out there. As far as how many rings he has, its zero but last time i checked there are lots of coaches out there that have zero but are still considered good coaches. As far as time frames at places, i cant speak to any of that but i know he was at MV 5-6 years and hes been here for 2 and will be many more to come so thats that. Hes won everywhere he has been and most of those were dumpster fires before he got there so clearly hes done something right.

He was at MV four years total. Two full seasons as a HC, took over for Meeks after a few games in 2016.