Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

Coach Art Briles has resigned at Mt. Vernon


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Eagleborn said:

He was at MV four years total. Two full seasons as a HC, took over for Meeks after a few games in 2016. 

I was mistaken by a year or two but the larger point is he is a really good coach no matter if he has any rings or ever wins any rings. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Per UIL rules, kids are not allowed to transfer schools for athletic purposes. Briles didn't get any transfers. That just doesn't happen in Texas.

Finney helped bring the MV program from the ashes and back to relevance in his time there. Briles walked in to a great situation and continued what had already started under Finney. Anyone who only wa

Word on the street is Briles is close to accepting the AD/Head boys b-ball job at Sulphur Springs North Hopkins 

Just now, PantherNation2015 said:

Is he the one with stops in Mineola, Hallsville and now Grand Saline?

Thats right, not that he would be super high profile but theres no doubt he would have much better talent at MV than GS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, chevyman said:

Any news on this front? Been pretty quite in regards to both parties

I've heard that a couple on staff guys have turned it down but my source is a cousin teaching in the elementary school there so she might not know what she's saying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, supermaroon said:

I've heard that a couple on staff guys have turned it down but my source is a cousin teaching in the elementary school there so she might not know what she's saying.

"turned it down" maybe indicating they are not staying due to talent drop ? or the briles name on the resume helped them earn a better gig. Either way not good if true. I know i would want my shot. Even going 2-8 , 3-7 still get thay rebuilding grace. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Slickarick said:

"turned it down" maybe indicating they are not staying due to talent drop ? or the briles name on the resume helped them earn a better gig. Either way not good if true. I know i would want my shot. Even going 2-8 , 3-7 still get thay rebuilding grace. 

They have several talented guys returning so im not sure they will have a "talent drop" necessarily but the bigger issue will be replacing the qb if they want to continue running a spread/passing offense. I think that is the intriguing part of the potential hire is which direction offensively they want to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chevyman said:

They have several talented guys returning so im not sure they will have a "talent drop" necessarily but the bigger issue will be replacing the qb if they want to continue running a spread/passing offense. I think that is the intriguing part of the potential hire is which direction offensively they want to go.

Did they not bring in any transfers to run the JV last year?!?! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PatsFan said:

Did they not bring in any transfers to run the JV last year?!?! 

No transfers for the jv. They had a couple of talented kids on that jv but nobody that just stood out. Some of their best players next year will be from the junior class. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Living life

Just read on another post that interesting things could be happening around Pittsburg and Briles name was in that conversation. Possibility?

  • Grumpy Old Men 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mount Vernon has hired from within- Brad Willard former OC will be the new AD/ HD football coach - Willard has had coaching stops at Baylor, Colleyville Heritage , and Red Oak

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mvtigerbacker said:

Mount Vernon has hired from within- Brad Willard former OC will be the new AD/ HD football coach - Willard has had coaching stops at Baylor, Colleyville Heritage , and Red Oak

I think that was the right move. A young guy too. Good for him and family. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportsfan4life said:

Nothing against Coach Willard, but I really thought they would go with Coach Cooper, who was previously the head coach and AD at Gatesville for several years.  I hope Coach Cooper doesn't leave now.

 

Pitt isn’t too far away.....

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...