Uil hands down punishment for Edinburg high school

Guest Tiger03lb

Guest Tiger03lb

Uil handed down punishment for Edinburg high school to player, head football coach, and high school athletes program. What do you guys think? 

Imo, the head coach/ad and player needs the punishment more than the whole athletics dept. Sounds like UIL is trying to make an example of this. 

https://www.wjtv.com/news/national/uil-hands-down-punishment-following-edinburg-referee-attack/

I think the punishment is ok. You have to hand out something to the coach for playing him after the alleged first incident. And then you have to make the school responsible so they do more to ensure coaches don’t put their program in this spot in the future. I know none of them probably thought this would happen, but it will make them give pause bringing a kid back after an altercation in the future.

52 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Good.....he was allowed to remain on the program after a similar incident in soccer......the whole program should suffer......

I have no problem with the football program suffering from it.

I do think it's a little unfair that if something happens again in football that it sounds like every athletic program will suffer. Volleyball, softball, baseball etc don't have anything to do with what's happening because of this one guy, but they're getting the brunt of it as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I do think it's a little unfair that if something happens again in football that it sounds like every athletic program will suffer. Volleyball, softball, baseball etc don't have anything to do with what's happening because of this one guy, but they're getting the brunt of it as well.

All of those fall under athletics. Head football coach is the Athletic Director, I believe, so you apply it to all sports. First issue was in soccer. Not like all the other soccer and football players deserve to be punished, but it starts at the top.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I’m thinking that the punishment is more a message to administrators and ADs that these incidents need to be handled properly the first time. The next time a kid assaults an official in ANY sport, in ANY part of the state of Texas, if the school has any sense whatsoever, they will make sure that that particular kid never puts on an athletic uniform of any kind in their colors. EISD had the chance to do that the first time, and they failed. The UIL cannot afford to look soft on this. Officials are hard enough to find as it is. 

• Like 2

Guest Tiger03lb
6 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I’m thinking that the punishment is more a message to administrators and ADs that these incidents need to be handled properly the first time. The next time a kid assaults an official in ANY sport, in ANY part of the state of Texas, if the school has any sense whatsoever, they will make sure that that particular kid never puts on an athletic uniform of any kind in their colors. EISD had the chance to do that the first time, and they failed. The UIL cannot afford to look soft on this. Officials are hard enough to find as it is. 

Why didn't this get handled right in the first place is the question. I know soccer doesn't get the attention as football does. But you would think that if an official is harmed tgat uil would know about it.

I'm surprised that the whole athletic program should be affected by this but get why they did it.  

Just now, Tiger03lb said:

Why didn't this get handled right in the first place is the question. I know soccer doesn't get the attention as football does. But you would think that if an official is harmed tgat uil would know about it.

I'm surprised that the whole athletic program should be affected by this but get why they did it.  

Just my thoughts, but I feel that the UIL dropped the hammer over EISD allowing this kid back in any kind of athletic competition after the soccer incident. They want to send a message to the schools to “handle it right the first time, and there won’t be a second time where WE have to step in.” I think they also want TASO to get the message that the UIL isn’t going to tolerate violence against officials. The shortage is bad enough, and if officials start quitting because they feel like sitting ducks, it could really affect competition in a lot of sports. 

Guest Tiger03lb
3 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Just my thoughts, but I feel that the UIL dropped the hammer over EISD allowing this kid back in any kind of athletic competition after the soccer incident. They want to send a message to the schools to “handle it right the first time, and there won’t be a second time where WE have to step in.” I think they also want TASO to get the message that the UIL isn’t going to tolerate violence against officials. The shortage is bad enough, and if officials start quitting because they feel like sitting ducks, it could really affect competition in a lot of sports. 

I agree 100% on what you said. My question is, does uil know when an official gets harmed/attack when it happens? 

Crazy. I watched Edinburg Vela high school in the state basketball tourney a few years back. Hands down the most polite, best mannered, best sportsmanship kids I've ever seen. Chasing loose balls to give to the officials, helped their opponent off of the floor every single time they went down, cheering teammates on from the bench. Great attitudes even while taking a beating in the semifinal. 

Never will forget that team. Parents and coaches need a well done with that bunch of boys! 

2 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Good.....he was allowed to remain on the program after a similar incident in soccer......the whole program should suffer......

I think it should have just been the football and soccer program.  I don't know if he is still attending class or not, but that's going to bring a lot more animosity to him from the other programs in the athletic program.   I don't know what his criminal punishment will be.  I would bet the entire student body hates him now, especially the girls athletic programs that he shut down.  Shutting them down punishes them as well, and who knows who could have been up for scholarships. One persons actions should not have ramifications for the entire school.  Since the article said that all athletic programs would be suspended this effects students from the 7th grade to Varsity.  If it's the entire district that's 4 high schools that are located there which includes Edinburg North High School, Robert Vela High School, and Johnny Economedes High School.  That's going to be the entire city.  I think the punishment went to far.  If it was him and the Coach then I would say it was a fair punishment.  Based on the article it's a travesty.  

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

Crazy. I watched Edinburg Vela high school in the state basketball tourney a few years back. Hands down the most polite, best mannered, best sportsmanship kids I've ever seen. Chasing loose balls to give to the officials, helped their opponent off of the floor every single time they went down, cheering teammates on from the bench. Great attitudes even while taking a beating in the semifinal. 

Never will forget that team. Parents and coaches need a well done with that bunch of boys! 

Then the punishment is definitely unreasonable for this school.  I'm assuming he went to Edinburg High School, and not Robert Vela High School which is part of the consolidated ISD that Edinburg has.  If that happened last year and they had underclassmen on that team that showed sportsmanship this punishment went way too far.  

8 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I think it should have just been the football and soccer program.  I don't know if he is still attending class or not, but that's going to bring a lot more animosity to him from the other programs in the athletic program.   I don't know what his criminal punishment will be.  I would bet the entire student body hates him now, especially the girls athletic programs that he shut down.  Shutting them down punishes them as well, and who knows who could have been up for scholarships. One persons actions should not have ramifications for the entire school.  Since the article said that all athletic programs would be suspended this effects students from the 7th grade to Varsity.  If it's the entire district that's 4 high schools that are located there which includes Edinburg North High School, Robert Vela High School, and Johnny Economedes High School.  That's going to be the entire city.  I think the punishment went to far.  If it was him and the Coach then I would say it was a fair punishment.  Based on the article it's a travesty.  

It’s the same way everywhere, Dave... just a few bad eggs ruining everything everywhere for everybody. They need to be voted off the island, if you catch my drift...🤬

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

Then the punishment is definitely unreasonable for this school.  I'm assuming he went to Edinburg High School, and not Robert Vela High School which is part of the consolidated ISD that Edinburg has.  If that happened last year and they had underclassmen on that team that showed sportsmanship this punishment went way too far.  

Completely different school and unacceptable behavior by that kid, but I hate it for those kids who abide by the rules. 

14 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Completely different school and unacceptable behavior by that kid, but I hate it for those kids who abide by the rules. 

Yet they are under the belt of the Consolidated Edinburg ISD.  This ruling effects every athlete in the Edinburg area.  The U.I.L went too far in their rush to punish.  

• Thanks 1

My question is why the initial incident in soccer was not handled by the UIL last soccer season. I hope the assault of an official would be automatically elevated to the UIL. Did they fail in their duty? The kid should not have been allowed to participate in any UIL sport after the initial incident. Unless their was evidence the athletic programs routinely disrespected officials, I hate it that the kids had to pay for one. The athletic director and head coach that allowed him to play, they are the ones that should be punished. 

This was handled so severely because he was kicked off the soccer team but days after the soccer incident he wrestled in the state tournament because "he had no incidents in THAT sport" 

It was mishandled by campus and district administration from the jump. The other sports won't be impacted unless something else happens, but my guess is a lot of house cleaning is about to take place at that school after this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

Yet they are under the belt of the Consolidated Edinburg ISD.  This ruling effects every athlete in the Edinburg area.  The U.I.L went too far in their rush to punish.  

The article clearly states “Edinburg High School.” It makes no mention of Edinburg ISD or any of the other schools in the district. 

20 hours ago, JBizzle said:

All of those fall under athletics. Head football coach is the Athletic Director, I believe, so you apply it to all sports. First issue was in soccer. Not like all the other soccer and football players deserve to be punished, but it starts at the top.

Not true.  He is the boys coordinator there.  He has nothing to do with the girls athletics program.