Man shot in Ohio. 17 yr veteran cop said the guy was waving a gun

ctown81

If there was a gun found nearby then I would say the officer had the right to shoot him if he wasn't responding.  If all there was were sandwiches then no.  I realize that his Mom said that he wouldn't hurt a fly.  We've seen too many Mom's come to the defense of their children in recent years to say that was a the case.  I just wish this article was updated. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

If there was a gun found nearby then I would say the officer had the right to shoot him if he wasn't responding.  If all there was were sandwiches then no.  I realize that his Mom said that he wouldn't hurt a fly.  We've seen too many Mom's come to the defense of their children in recent years to say that was a the case.  I just wish this article was updated. 

Yep. Need more information. 

Also...being a CHL holder doesn't play a factor in if this was a good or bad shoot by the officer. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I tried to find a more updated one.  Since there is no video, even if a gun was found, I still find it fishy b/c it's not out of the realm of possibility of him having a gun b/c he legally able to have one. 

5 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I tried to find a more updated one.  Since there is no video, even if a gun was found, I still find it fishy b/c it's not out of the realm of possibility of him having a gun b/c he legally able to have one. 

The question being what did he do or not do with that legally possessed gun???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ctown81 said:

That's why I wish that there was a video or more to the news story.  I have no problem with any police officer shooting any one regardless of race or sex if they point a gun at an officer or hold it in a menacing factor the same with a knife or any other weapon.  Once you do that, you deserve to be shot just as the man was in Atlanta after stealing the officers stun gun.  I realize he was drunk at the time, but that's not an excuse the same with being high on any drug.  I've heard of people on PCP and synthetic marijuana doing some crazy things that they wouldn't normally be able to do.  I'm not saying this is the case.  I just need more information than what I've read.  

9 minutes ago, SmoakyBandit said:

The guy who was drunk deployed the officers stun gun twice if I recall, therefore it was useless..... shoot him in the leg and bring him down if your that afraid, LE these days go for the kill shot which I don't agree is right..... the guy was asleep in a drive thru, that shouldn't lead to death, Floyd paid with a counterfeit $20 if i recall correctly, shouldn't lead to death, whos to say he didn't know it was counterfeit? Ppl can look at him and say "yeah he knew" but that doesn't make it a fact...... LE does not need to be defunded but they need better training, just my 2 cents take it for what its worth 

I agree. The drunk guy should not have been killed. Lethal force was not necessary for a useless stun gun at that point. Also, the officer came very close to hitting innocent bystanders. Also, they immediately started to clean up the the scene to cover their tracks. 

• Roll Eyes 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, SmoakyBandit said:

The guy who was drunk deployed the officers stun gun twice if I recall, therefore it was useless..... shoot him in the leg and bring him down if your that afraid, LE these days go for the kill shot which I don't agree is right..... the guy was asleep in a drive thru, that shouldn't lead to death, Floyd paid with a counterfeit $20 if i recall correctly, shouldn't lead to death, whos to say he didn't know it was counterfeit? Ppl can look at him and say "yeah he knew" but that doesn't make it a fact...... LE does not need to be defunded but they need better training, just my 2 cents take it for what its worth 

resisting a lawful arrest can lead to death, and rightfully so. Resisting an unlawful one can to, and on those we will be in agreement about bad cops.  In all your examples you fail to say he was being lawfully arrested and then the perp exculated the situation. The dude in Georgia drive thru is a prime example.  Cops were cool and he snapped, it is crazy what drugs and alcohol will make one do.  Everybody says better training for cops, yet nobody says anything about training better people so the need for cops would be less. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, SmoakyBandit said:

Floyd didn't die because of a counterfeit $20, he died because a overbearing police officer placed his knee on his neck and keep him from breathing. 

And it wasn't like that was the first run in for Floyd with the police. So I am betting he should have known better, but his arrest should have happened, not his death. But hey, without his death, riots would not have gotten to occur, people wouldn't have lost their businesses, people in Minnesota wouldn't have new TV's they stole from stores, all those wonderful things that happened because a guy committed a crime, and a pathetic cop abused him. Look at all the other advantages that got to take place. SMFH. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

Floyd didn't die because of a counterfeit $20, he died because a overbearing police officer placed his knee on his neck and keep him from breathing. 

And it wasn't like that was the first run in for Floyd with the police. So I am betting he should have known better, but his arrest should have happened, not his death. But hey, without his death, riots would not have gotten to occur, people wouldn't have lost their businesses, people in Minnesota wouldn't have new TV's they stole from stores, all those wonderful things that happened because a guy committed a crime, and a pathetic cop abused him. Look at all the other advantages that got to take place. SMFH. 

Plus the Minnesota DA was an ANTIFA supporter. So never let a crisis go to waste. 
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/son-of-minnesotas-attorney-general-declares-support-for-antifa

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Agree on most. But the knee in the neck didn't kill him. Delayed what should've been his rescue, but didn't cause his cardiac arrest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Agree on most. But the knee in the neck didn't kill him. Delayed what should've been his rescue, but didn't cause his cardiac arrest.

He was a wife beating dopehead.....i Still have zero sympathy for him.....but the cop needs to be disciplined......

• Like 1

On 12/17/2020 at 9:03 AM, TheShadowKnows said:

resisting a lawful arrest can lead to death, and rightfully so. Resisting an unlawful one can to, and on those we will be in agreement about bad cops.  In all your examples you fail to say he was being lawfully arrested and then the perp exculated the situation. The dude in Georgia drive thru is a prime example.  Cops were cool and he snapped, it is crazy what drugs and alcohol will make one do.  Everybody says better training for cops, yet nobody says anything about training better people so the need for cops would be less. 

Escalation should not equal death. What about shooting and hitting vehicles with innocent people in them?

Trying to shoot the gun out of their hand, shooting in the leg or such is absolute BS. That is why you would miss and hit a bystander (innocent or not).

you shot for center mass to stop the threat. You may have to shoot more than once at center mass to stop the threat. And before you ask, yes I have law enforcement training.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

If a cop shoots and hits an innocent bystander or destroys private property. Those damages should be charged to the perp. 

Even if the cop has no reason to use deadly force? The guy was running away with a dead taser. Who was in danger of dying? 

53 minutes ago, Olduy said:

Trying to shoot the gun out of their hand, shooting in the leg or such is absolute BS. That is why you would miss and hit a bystander (innocent or not).

you shot for center mass to stop the threat. You may have to shoot more than once at center mass to stop the threat. And before you ask, yes I have law enforcement training.

was he trying to shoot a dead stun gun out of his hand? That's what we're going with?

1 minute ago, Olduy said:

You know so much why don’t you go be a policeman!

So basically you have no response to that? Pretty sure they're not trained to shoot an unarmed man in the back. I'm not by any means an expert but I'm pretty sure I'm right on that one.

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

So basically you have no response to that? Pretty sure they're not trained to shoot an unarmed man in the back. I'm not by any means an expert but I'm pretty sure I'm right on that one.

You're acting like they had minutes to react.  They had mere seconds, and they did what they were trained to do.  Don't take an officers weapon, and you won't get shot pure and simple.  Being drunk or high is no excuse.