5A Division I Region II Semi-Finals: Longview vs Denton Ryan

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-2) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (11-0)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/26/2020 at 08:00 PM

longview.pngdentonryan2020.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (9-2) VS DENTON RYAN RAIDERS (11-0)

DATE: Saturday, December 26th
TIME: 2:00 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
DENTON RYAN BROADCAST: 88.1 FM KNTU The One
VIDEO STREAM: TexanLive.com/NFHS Network

longview.pngSERIES TIED 0-0-0 dentonryan.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a district contest.
The two schools have never played a playoff contest.
The two schools have never played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Denton Ryan.
The two schools have never played at Mesquite Memorial Stadium.
The two schools have never played on December 26th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
First Meeting.
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
#3 in the state. 10-0 record. Scored 80 points in four contests. Averaging over 60 points a game. Longview came into Mesquite Memorial Stadium in the Class 5A Division I Area round knowing that the Lancaster Tigers were every bit as good as their record and stats suggested. Slight underdogs, the game looked to be an uphill climb right off the bat, as the Tigers ran for a 75 yard touchdown on the first place from scrimmage. Thankfully for the Lobos, the game didn't end there. After back and forth punches, the Lobos ran off 42 consecutive points to take full control of their game on the way to a dominating 56-20 victory. The win avenged last season's Area Round loss to Dallas Jesuit for the Lobos, while the Tigers head out of the Area round for the second time in the last three seasons. Kaden Meredith had two touchdowns in the win, to push his season total to 27 total and 26 rushing scores. Both are tied for second all-time in Longview single season history, one shy of the school record. Jalen Hale picked up two touchdowns in the win as well, pushing his season total to 10 receiving scores. Hale became the 5th Lobo receiver to tally at least 10 receiving touchdowns in a single season. His 13 receiving scores in his two years on varsity sits tied for 5th all-time in Lobo history. He is just a sophomore. With the win over the #3 team in the state, the Lobos improve to 4-0 under John King as head coach against the third ranked team. Waiting for them in the third round of the playoffs, is another ranked squad. One the Lobos have no history with. The No. 1 ranked Denton Ryan Raiders. The Raiders have steamrolled most of their opponents this season, carrying the No. 1 ranking the entire season. Denton Ryan reached the Division I Region II Semi-Finals with a dominating victory over the College Station Cougars, a game that saw the Raiders lead 52-7 before the Cougars added some fourth quarter scores late. The Lobos and Raiders meet for the first time at Mesquite Memorial Stadium. Last Friday's victory over Lancaster was Longview's first playoff victory at Memorial since a 2001 win over Dallas Kimball. Overall, Longview is 9-3 at the stadium with the last loss coming in 2010 to North Mesquite which ended a 36-game district winning streak that snapped seven seasons. While Longview and Denton Ryan have never met on the football field, the Lobos have met a Denton ISD school four times in their history. Longview is 3-1 all-time against Denton ISD, with the Lobos meeting Denton High back in 1950 in a 41-0 win and meeting Denton Guyer three consecutive seasons in the State Semi-Finals (twice in 4A and once in 5A). The last meeting came in 2010, when the Lobos jumped out to a 17-0 lead before the Wildcats came rushing back. Longview held a 27-21 lead with under a minute to go before Guyer blocked a punt and on the next play scored the winning touchdown in a 28-27 Wildcat victory. The Lobos have met the state's top ranked team five times under John King. The Lobos are 1-4 in those games, with the win coming in 2009 over Allen. Being an underdog isn't common for Longview, but it is something that..in the past...has brought out the best in Longview. It will be a huge task for the Lobos to walk out of Memorial with a win this week, but one thing you won't see is Longview back down from a challenge.

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION II AREA RESULTS:
Denton Ryan 52, College Station 21
Longview 56, Lancaster 20
Highland Park 42, Frisco Independence 20
Frisco Lone Star 40, Magnolia 28

CLASS 5A DIVISION I REGION I & REGION II SEMI-FINAL GAMES[:
12/26 - R4 Red Oak (8-2) vs W2 Lubbock Coronado (12-0) - Memorial Stadium (Wichita Falls)
12/26 - F4 Mansfield Summit (6-4) vs W4 Colleyville Heritage (8-0) - Bearcat Stadium (Aledo)
12/26 - W5 Denton Ryan (11-0) vs R7 Longview (9-2) - Mesquite Memorial Stadium (Mesquite)
12/24 - W7 Highland Park (10-0) vs R5 Frisco Lone Star (7-3) - Globe Life Park (Arlington)

WHAT’S AT STAKE:
The winner of today’s game game will take on the winner of Highland Park vs Frisco Lone Star in the Class 5A Division I Region II Championship.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 9-2 (4-1)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (188-39 in 17 seasons) (Playoffs: 43-15)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 747-350-52 (Playoffs: 72-42-1)
Playoff Appearances: 46
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, Class 6A Division II Area Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
09.25 - v. Temple (in Arlington) - Loss 40-13
10.02 - at Marshall - Win 53-21
10.09 - vs Tyler Legacy - Win 37-14
10.15 - v. Beaumont West Brook (in Lufkin) - Win 51-28
10.23 - vs West Mesquite - Win 49-24
10.30 - at Wylie East - Win 52-17
11.06 - vs Highland Park - Loss 18-13
11.13 - at Sherman - Canceled
11.27 - vs McKinney North - Win 55-10
12.04 - at Tyler - Win 58-14
12.11 - Bi-District: Lufkin - Win 41-5
12.18 - Area: Lancaster - Win 56-20
12.26 - Regional: Denton Ryan

DENTON RYAN RAIDERS
Record: 11-0 (7-0)
District: 5-5A Division 1
Coach:  Dave Henigan (86-10 in 7 seasons) (Playoffs: 25-6)
First Year of Football: 1994
All-Time Record: 251-94-0 (Playoffs: 61-17-0)
Playoff Appearances: 20
Last Playoff Appearance: 2019, 5A Division I State Championship
State Championships (2): 2001 (4A D1), 2002 (4A D1)
State Championship Appearances (6): 2000 (4A D1), 2001 (4A D1), 2002 (4A D2), 2003 (4A D2), 2010 (4A D1), 2019 (5A D1)
SCHEDULE:
09.25 - Arlington Martin (in Arlington) - Win 47-24
10.02 - at Denton Guyer - Win 23-20
10.09 - at Frisco Reedy - Canceled
10.17 - v. Denton - Win 41-0
10.22 - at Frisco Wakeland - Win 41-3
10.29 - vs Frisco Centennial - Win 68-28
11.06 - at The Colony - Win 49-8
11.19 - vs Frisco Heritage - Win 63-20
11.27 - at Frisco Independence - Win 52-21
12.04 - vs Frisco Lone Star - Win 35-21
12.11 - Bi-District: Dallas Bryan Adams - Win 69-9
12.18 - Area: College Station - Win 52-21
12.26 - Regional: Longview

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: December 26th
This will be the first Lobo game ever played on December 26th.

lobohowl2.GIF

5A Division I scores heading into Saturday....

Region I
Red Oak 55, El Paso Del Valle 6
Colleyville Heritage 44, Amarillo 25
Lubbock Coronado faces Azle at 3 PM on Saturday, Amarillo Tascosa faces Mansfield Summit at 5 PM on Saturday.

Region II
Denton Ryan 52, College Station 21
Longview 56, Lancaster 20
Highland Park 42, Frisco Independence 20
Frisco Lone Star 40, Magnolia 28

Region III
Fort Bend Hightower 44, Pflugerville Hendrickson 14
Manvel 38, Dripping Springs 21
Cedar Park 51, Richmond Foster 15
New Braunfels Canyon 1, Katy Paetow 0 (Paetow forfeited)

Region IV
Victoria West 49, Eagle Pass Winn 13
Corpus Christi Flour Bluff 31, San Antonio Southside 21
Corpus Christi Veterans Memorial 53, San Antonio Legacy 14
San Antonio Southwest 32, Weslaco East 15

5 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I fully believe this region is more difficult than what we would’ve had in 6A tbh. Not sure 6A R2 is a slouch, but this region is just killer.

Every game from here on in is like a ‘Final’...just in R2.  I’ve never seen a Region so packed as this one is. No disrespect to R1, 3, or 4, but the ‘survivor’ of R2 should win it all. This game will test LV’s D secondary to the max...LV will have to shorten this game by sustaining drives. It will be tough, but I think a W is possible.

Go Lobos!!

14 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I was wondering your take on that. This region is tough. Just an observation seems you guys aren’t as confident as years past. I assume you expected some growing pains without King and I believe lost a great Dc /oc . Not sure on that . I saw lots of upsets so you never know could be 2018 all over again.

Not so much not as confident, just realistic.

This team has been extremely inconsistent all season long. Our QB play hasn’t been the best. I mean, he’s a sophomore. Our back up is a sophomore. Our best QB in the program is a freshman. Is what it is after you lose a guy like Haynes.

Meredith, Haynes have led the way all year long. We have a stud receiver, the best that’s ever come through here. That’s a sophomore, but we just have to get him the ball.

Our defense has been outstanding all year. Even the Temple game, despite the scoreline. Still didn’t give up 250 yards of offense that day. 

We’re facing extremely tough competition. I don’t think our QB play will be enough to get us to State, he’s just...not the best at decision making. Last night, he had his best game as a Lobo. No doubt about that. We’ll just have to see how he does against Ryan.

We’re very much an easy into the game type of team. It was the case last night too. One mistake, the punt over their punter’s head, changed the entire game. So we’ll see.

Cautiously optimistic is how I view myself right now. I fully believe we are peaking at the exact right time though. That three week layoff might have been the best thing for this team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My early thoughts on this game is it will take a masterful performance from us to pull out the win.  This will have to be one of those games like the 02 Evangel, Allen,  Denton Guyer type games...It is going to be a huge game...I need to watch some more video on DR and I'll come back with more thoughts...

I think it’s pretty obvious from the get go, that no one is giving us much of a chance (outside of Longview that is).

Much prefer the underdog role for sure. 

Limiting mistakes, playing ball control offense. Do what we do. Survive the first quarter and see what happens.

I'm looking at this game going the same route the '17 Midway went...tough game kids playing their hearts out. I'm like @Lobo07 we are one player away from being a real favorite to win it all. Honestly we missed every pass we tried except the fade. Just a great athlete making plays on those balls. Our receivers were wide open when we shot our shot. But I do believe I saw ways we could make up for inconsistent passing lastnite. Good win for Longview! I haven't seen Duncanville or NS play but Lancaster has to be the most athletic and the fastest team I have ever witness. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

I'm looking at this game going the same route the '17 Midway went...tough game kids playing their hearts out. I'm like @Lobo07 we are one player away from being a real favorite to win it all. Honestly we missed every pass we tried except the fade. Just a great athlete making plays on those balls. Our receivers were wide open when we shot our shot. But I do believe I saw ways we could make up for inconsistent passing lastnite. Good win for Longview! I haven't seen Duncanville or NS play but Lancaster has to be the most athletic and the fastest team I have ever witness. 

My initial thought is simple. Welp....lol

Look, no other way to put it...Ryan has been playing like a top 4-5 team in TX all year regardless of classification. Ryan has talent all over the damn field. Longview fans actually got to see them Wk 1 because they smoked Martin the game before ours at AT&T. So many of us should know what to expect. 

Everyone already knows about the 5* Texas commit monster WR/DE Ja'Tavion Sanders but man, it goes far beyond that and he's only a piece of the puzzle. 

You look at the totality of their offense, WR/CB Billy Bowman may be the most dangerous player on the team. Sanders is a big body on the outside but listen, Bowman is the truth. How many of y'all remember Ralph Thomas from Lufkin? Keke Coutee? That's the cloth he's cut from. Slot back, quick as heck, fast as ever....crisp route runner. And he has a dart thrower of a QB in Henigan. Good OL. 

This may be a defensive chess game...because just like I'm sure they're more worried about our defense...I'm more worried about their defense. They're operating in the 4-3 which in itself...no biggie. Our offense sees it everyday in practice because that's also our base defense. But that DL of there's is worrisome. 4* DT Bear Alexanders anchors it. Should've been named planet cause he is a grown man. Entire DL is hearing from FBS schools. LBs are athletic as hell with plenty of size and that secondary is very disciplined and smart. Not to mention talented as hell. One side at corner, you have to deal with Billy Bowman. On the other side, 4* Austin Jordan. Not to mention FBS S Ty Marsh to round out the secondary.

Ennis, Lake Travis, Lancaster, TX High....lot of top teams falling like flies this year. Bridgeland, Allen and Desoto barely avoided it last night. Longview 1-1 this year so far against the top 3 in 5AD1. Pretty close to 2-0. We got talent too...I ain't gonna automatically sale these tough a%% Longview boys short. Let's see what happens. 

• Like 5

@ANTI we very well could see Lancaster again next year. But I think we'll beat HP next year and somewhat have easier run in playoffs. Them freshmen we got this year...will all be on varsity. I'm calling it now. We again will be young but oh so talented. I looking for 2 ships b4 Hale graduates.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

@ANTI we very well could see Lancaster again next year. But I think we'll beat HP next year and somewhat have easier run in playoffs. Them freshmen we got this year...will all be on varsity. I'm calling it now. We again will be young but oh so talented. I looking for 2 ships b4 Hale graduates.

from what i gather we have other wrs coming up that are pretty good too will make it hard to double hale 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

I'll be conservative and say Longview wins at least 1 while Hale is in HS.

That 2022 team (when Hale is a SR) is looking special. Literally wont be a weakness anywhere.

Taylor Tatum, Willie Nelson, Alijah Johnson, Budhha Garrett, Amarian Hamilton, JT Wright, Jalen Hale, JJ Rougley, Jay Darensbourg, DK Reese, Chase Smith, Andrew Pierce, whoever ends up being the QB that year between Tutt/Allen/Grant...list goes on.

Whole lot of talent in that soph, fresh and even 8th groups.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, ANTI said:

My initial thought is simple. Welp....lol

Look, no other way to put it...Ryan has been playing like a top 4-5 team in TX all year regardless of classification. Ryan has talent all over the damn field. Longview fans actually got to see them Wk 1 because they smoked Martin the game before ours at AT&T. So many of us should know what to expect. 

Everyone already knows about the 5* Texas commit monster WR/DE Ja'Tavion Sanders but man, it goes far beyond that and he's only a piece of the puzzle. 

You look at the totality of their offense, WR/CB Billy Bowman may be the most dangerous player on the team. Sanders is a big body on the outside but listen, Bowman is the truth. How many of y'all remember Ralph Thomas from Lufkin? Keke Coutee? That's the cloth he's cut from. Slot back, quick as heck, fast as ever....crisp route runner. And he has a dart thrower of a QB in Henigan. Good OL. 

This may be a defensive chess game...because just like I'm sure they're more worried about our defense...I'm more worried about their defense. They're operating in the 4-3 which in itself...no biggie. Our offense sees it everyday in practice because that's also our base defense. But that DL of there's is worrisome. 4* DT Bear Alexanders anchors it. Should've been named planet cause he is a grown man. Entire DL is hearing from FBS schools. LBs are athletic as hell with plenty of size and that secondary is very disciplined and smart. Not to mention talented as hell. One side at corner, you have to deal with Billy Bowman. On the other side, 4* Austin Jordan. Not to mention FBS S Ty Marsh to round out the secondary.

Ennis, Lake Travis, Lancaster, TX High....lot of top teams falling like flies this year. Bridgeland, Allen and Desoto barely avoided it last night. Longview 1-1 this year so far against the top 3 in 5AD1. Pretty close to 2-0. We got talent too...I ain't gonna automatically sale these tough a%% Longview boys short. Let's see what happens. 

One of the coolest posts I've read on Smoaky.com since joining many, many years ago. Not the typical East Texas chest thumping, but real, objective insight...I love it. Good luck Lobos! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dfwfootballfan said:

One of the coolest posts I've read on Smoaky.com since joining many, many years ago. Not the typical East Texas chest thumping, but real, objective insight...I love it. Good luck Lobos! 

Dude. I can promise you. Some of the same ones are here from back in the day but, they've been humbled since then, so MOST of us try to comment from a space of reality and not emotion. 

• Like 1