5A Division I Region II Semi-Finals: Longview vs Denton Ryan

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-2) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (11-0)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/26/2020 at 08:00 PM

7 hours ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

So you feel more confident about this game than the Lancaster game?? Cause Lancaster  is no where near the level of Ryan. You feel Lancaster is better than Ryan? I’m just trying to make sure I’m reading this right.  

Who said that?

I felt like we were going to beat Lancaster from the second we were officially matched up against them. I just thought it would be much closer than it ended up being. 10 point win or so.

Never said Lancaster is a good as Ryan.

Now, I don't think Ryan is as athletic as Lancaster was. But we all know how talented they are, and that they're the #1 team in the state for a reason. That said, as I have already said, they're not unbeatable like some people are trying to make them out to be.

7 hours ago, LOBOFAN84 said:

They are more than welcome to have rules.  We have rules, also. Those rules do not need to inflict unnecessary trauma to the teams playing in said stadium, though. Every single person that walked up to the gate had to turn around and empty bags with blankets and slickers and carry them in by hand. It was too inconvenient. That was the purpose of the clear bag policy. So you could see inside of it. I do not know who they thought they were protecting. Everyone of us could have had a knife or gun in our pockets, that were NOT checked. No metal detector to walk through. But that danged ol clear bag with a blanket was a federal offense. 

For example: Not everyone has pockets for keys, wallet or even an extra mask in case you bust the 1st one. 

So yes, everyone is allowed rules, but I can also complain about said rules when it inconveniences me and the masses.

Go Lobos!

Lol...inflict unnecessary trauma? in my best but still not good Randy Moss voice  "C'mon man!".  It's a ball game, at least folks know ahead of time.

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, dfwfootballfan said:

Lol...inflict unnecessary trauma? in my best but still not good Randy Moss voice  "C'mon man!".  It's a ball game, at least folks know ahead of time.

But folks didn't know ahead of time.......hence the trips back to cars to unload a bag. 

7 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Longview ISD didn’t get the memo to pass along to fans?

I do not know to whom or when the memo was received. Obviously no one I saw got the message. We weren't the only ones that were turned around. They even argued with a lady that had diapers and wipes in a clear bag, for a baby. It was handled poorly. But, now we know and will be more prepared on Saturday. 

5 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Who said that?

I felt like we were going to beat Lancaster from the second we were officially matched up against them. I just thought it would be much closer than it ended up being. 10 point win or so.

Never said Lancaster is a good as Ryan.

Now, I don't think Ryan is as athletic as Lancaster was. But we all know how talented they are, and that they're the #1 team in the state for a reason. That said, as I have already said, they're not unbeatable like some people are trying to make them out to be.

Dont get me wrong now....they can certainly be had.

Ryan hasnt seen a defense, running attack or overall physical style of play this year that they're about to see Saturday. 

Reason why I said I'm not gonna automatically sell these tough a%% Longview boys short. They're capable of knocking anyone off any given day.

I do think it's a bit of an insult the amount of people, not necessarily on this forum but in the media in general, that just are assuming this game will be a complete blow out.

Hopefully the players feel the same way.

• Like 2

Watched DR last year live at Jerry World play Shadow Creek. I remember how they looked “gettin’ off the bus”. Those boys looked like world beater in warmups and on the sideline before the game. Seemed like nobody was really giving SC a chance. But SC came out playing tough defense and were definitely not intimidated. Held DR to 22 points that night. After watching Longview this year I would say their defense compares to SC from last year. Same type of athletes for sure. Shadow Creek may have had a bigger DL, but I think there are some similarities when I watch them play. Longview gonna have to control/limit DR’s offense. We saw them last year get out of their comfort zone and make mistakes. I could see the same thing happening this week. If Longview D can limit them, then the offense will just have to figure out a way to score on that great Denton Ryan D, haha. But I do think if Longview is going to win this game it will be their defense who has to do most of the heavy lifting. Hit some big plays, catch a couple breaks. Out physical them. Agree with 07, they are not unbeatable. I think Longview has a good shot in this one. Good luck Lobos!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Ryan hasnt seen a defense, running attack or overall physical style of play this year that they're about to see Saturday.

Agree. How do you think DR offense compares to HP? They are different, but do you think DR has a better offense than HP? I watched DR play Frisco Lone Star and watched HP play you guys. So the game I saw HP was by far their lowest offensive output. That might skew my opinion on HP cause you guys held them to 18 points. Just seems like the success Longview had against HP’s offense should translate to success against DR’s offense. What do you think?

On 12/19/2020 at 2:33 PM, ANTI said:

This may be a defensive chess game...because just like I'm sure they're more worried about our defense...I'm more worried about their defense. They're operating in the 4-3 which in itself...no biggie. Our offense sees it everyday in practice because that's also our base defense. But that DL of there's is worrisome. 4* DT Bear Alexanders anchors it. Should've been named planet cause he is a grown man. Entire DL is hearing from FBS schools. LBs are athletic as hell with plenty of size and that secondary is very disciplined and smart. Not to mention talented as hell. One side at corner, you have to deal with Billy Bowman. On the other side, 4* Austin Jordan. Not to mention FBS S Ty Marsh to round out the secondary.

One player that I was really impressed with last year from that state title game was DJ Arkansas. He played a hell of a game. There was a lot of hype around Bowman and the 2 Sanders kids, but I thought Arkansas was one of the best players on the field that night. He is back this year. Signed with Rice.

48 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I do think it's a bit of an insult the amount of people, not necessarily on this forum but in the media in general, that just are assuming this game will be a complete blow out.

Keep proving them wrong they never give us east Texas teams respect. 

39 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

No doubt.

Anyone not giving Longview a shot in this one probably have no idea of what they're talking about.

56 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Agree. How do you think DR offense compares to HP? They are different, but do you think DR has a better offense than HP? I watched DR play Frisco Lone Star and watched HP play you guys. So the game I saw HP was by far their lowest offensive output. That might skew my opinion on HP cause you guys held them to 18 points. Just seems like the success Longview had against HP’s offense should translate to success against DR’s offense. What do you think?

HP and Ryan have similar offenses. Not the same to the tee (HP utilizes a lot more crossing routes than DR) but...makeup of their offenses are very similar.

Talents at the QB position, playmakers out wide...you dont worry about the run too much although both are capable of running the ball.

But check this out. I consider HP to have the best OL in all of 5AD1 this year. The Lobo defensive front more than held their own vs HP and everyone that they've faced this year. Lancaster also has a pretty good OL and again, the Lobo DL showed up. I've seen people say that Lancaster's starting OL didn't play the other night but thats completely false. I was there....all of their starters played including the D1 guys. They just couldnt block Longview.

So, when Ryan has the ball....I have to give Longview the edge in the trenches.

Victory for Longview will come down to the answer of these questions which all involve the offense....

Can Longview avoid shooting themselves in the foot offensively? Literally the only reason Longview loss to HP was offensive miscues. Namely, a bunch of false start penalties on promising drives. Even with all of that...Longview had a chance to win it but a late game fumble in HP territory was the nail in the coffin.

Can Longview control the LOS offensively? This is a tremendous Ryan DL. Nasty LBs right behind it. HP I believe may be just as good in the front 7 and both Markevion Haynes and Kaden Meredith had over 100 yards in that matchup. Haynes had 155. If LV can control the LOS, they can control the game.

And finally, can Allen get the ball to Hale? I mentioned it earlier in the year but I havent seen a secondary in 5AD1 that can control Jalen Hale for 48 mins. Not even HP could, he had almost 100 yards in that game and plenty of other oppurtunities. Many of us left that game saying if Longview doesn't have youth at the QB position....its a decisive win in Longview's favor. He may be a sophomore but he certainly doesnt play like one. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Many of us left that game saying if Longview doesn't have youth at the QB position....its a decisive win in Longview's favor.

Sadly, this probably is going to be the story of this season.

All the other parts are there. It's just that one piece missing.

Obviously we're all hoping they can overcome it, or that Allen can step up to the plate.

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

No doubt.

Anyone not giving Longview a shot in this one probably have no idea of what they're talking about.

i have been watching Longview long enough to know never to count  the lobos out we have won games over teams that everyone said we wouldn't win

53 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Sadly, this probably is going to be the story of this season.

All the other parts are there. It's just that one piece missing.

Obviously we're all hoping they can overcome it, or that Allen can step up to the plate.

Yeah. But its all good.

Bright future for Lobo football regardless of what happens this year.

As much as Allen has been jumped on... Really impressed with how he has handled these playoffs so far. The dude is so calm....not afraid of the lights. Obviously he makes youth mistakes at times, doesnt always make decisions quick enough and has to work on his mechanics and arm strength....youth stuff but man...he understands the game and situations. 

Crazy journey for him too. A year ago, hes the B team 9th QB. Grant is the A team QB. Now Allen is leading the Lobos to the 3rd round.

The dude was like 5'7 at Foster, now he's 6'1 and growing.

Bright future for Longview at the QB position, whoever it ends up being long term.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

But check this out. I consider HP to have the best OL in all of 5AD1 this year. The Lobo defensive front more than held their own vs HP and everyone that they've faced this year. Lancaster also has a pretty good OL and again, the Lobo DL showed up. I've seen people say that Lancaster's starting OL didn't play the other night but thats completely false. I was there....all of their starters played including the D1 guys. They just couldnt block Longview.

So, when Ryan has the ball....I have to give Longview the edge in the trenches.

And finally, can Allen get the ball to Hale? I mentioned it earlier in the year but I havent seen a secondary in 5AD1 that can control Jalen Hale for 48 mins. Not even HP could, he had almost 100 yards in that game and plenty of other oppurtunities. Many of us left that game saying if Longview doesn't have youth at the QB position....its a decisive win in Longview's favor. He may be a sophomore but he certainly doesnt play like one. 

I wasn’t overly impressed with DR’s OL. Good unit, but I agree with you. No reason to think Longview’s DL doesn’t have the advantage based on how they performed against HP. I think Longview can stop the run game of DR. One big thing they will have to stop is Sanders in the Wildcat. Like I said before I think JT Sanders basically replaced Drew Sanders in this years offense. They will surely use it in short yardage especially 4th and short and bar the goal line. I personally don’t like those plays, but DR uses it and has some success. You stop that, limit the run game, and don’t let Billy make a house call on those screen passes you can have success. Make them drive the length of the field. Henigan is a good QB, but I would make him beat me with his arm. He has struggled in big games against tough opponents. The stats back it up. The only close game they played against Guyer you can check his stats. If he has a game like that, Longview wins IMO.

On your other point I am super impressed with Hale. Sky is the limit for that young man. I remember you guys wanting him to get the ball more last year as a freshman! That’s crazy to be playing Varsity ball at Longview as a freshman. I wouldn’t think many have done that over the years (if any).

I might get killed for saying this, but I think Denton Ryan has the potential to fold if they are pushed. They won a close game earlier in the year against Guyer and that’s basically the only close game they have played. On this run they have been on since 2016 they have yet to get over the hump, and it seems like they are one of the heavy favorites every year. Obviously HP put them out of the playoffs 3 of those years and went on to win the state championship, but still. The more I look into this game, the more I like Longview. Limit mistakes and Longview can win this game. If it’s close I really think DR will make some mistakes and give Longview the chance to capitalize. Question is will Longview make the plays when the opportunity presents itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

I might get killed for saying this, but I think Denton Ryan has the potential to fold if they are pushed. They won a close game earlier in the year against Guyer and that’s basically the only close game they have played.

I was reading up on that game. Guyer’s star QB threw a total of 10 times, as Webb was conservative cause he was concerned about the rest of the season with him coming off an injury (his words). Ryan won the game with over 350 yards rushing. They might win, but they’re definitely not getting that type of rushing attack against us. 

People keep underselling the Lone Star game but it was 14-14 at halftime, and 28-21 Ryan heading into the 4th. 

I wasn’t able to read much about that one, but I remember that highlight reel catch one of Ryan’s receivers had. 

I know some people on other boards have stated how Ryan has a much tougher district than Longview outside of HP. Meh. Their district is awful, just like our district is awful. The only team worth a dang in that district was Lone Star, and it was a 4th quarter battle just like ours was with Hp.

We’ll see what happens. This team has grown leaps and bounds since the Temple game, and even since the Highland Park game. I really feel we’re peaking at the right time. That HP game did at least give our boys the confidence that they can play with anyone in this division. I fully expect Saturday to be a 4th quarter battle as well.

• Like 1