5A Division I Region II Semi-Finals: Longview vs Denton Ryan

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-2) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (11-0)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/26/2020 at 08:00 PM

53 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

I know some people on other boards have stated how Ryan has a much tougher district than Longview outside of HP. Meh. Their district is awful, just like our district is awful. The only team worth a dang in that district was Lone Star, and it was a 4th quarter battle just like ours was with Hp.

This isnt coming from the same people that were trying to convince themselves that 8-5A > 7-5A is it?

If so....it doesnt hold much water. Not a single 8-5A team left in the playoffs, yet 2 from 7-5A still playing.

• LOL! 1

After watching as much game film as I can, this game is going to be one of the toughest we have had in years.  I think this game is going to come down to two things that will probably not go in our direction but you never know.

Limited running game...I think DR's front 7 is going to slow us down enough like HP did (with/without penalties) that we will have to throw the ball AND be productive at it...recipe for disaster with their secondary.

DR passing game...Sanders and Bowman will be a lethal combination that we will have to limit and do it consistently...toughest test for our secondary all year IMO...

Going into this game, I am so rightly reminded of 2008/2009 versus Denton Guyer and their all star team and defensive line with Bible and Bean...all I heard was no one was really sure about how Longview would do...this is stacked against us but Coach King has burned it in my soul...don't bet against the Lobos...

Longview 32

Denton Ryan 28

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

I was reading up on that game. Guyer’s star QB threw a total of 10 times, as Webb was conservative cause he was concerned about the rest of the season with him coming off an injury (his words). Ryan won the game with over 350 yards rushing. They might win, but they’re definitely not getting that type of rushing attack against us. 

People keep underselling the Lone Star game but it was 14-14 at halftime, and 28-21 Ryan heading into the 4th. 

I wasn’t able to read much about that one, but I remember that highlight reel catch one of Ryan’s receivers had. 

I know some people on other boards have stated how Ryan has a much tougher district than Longview outside of HP. Meh. Their district is awful, just like our district is awful. The only team worth a dang in that district was Lone Star, and it was a 4th quarter battle just like ours was with Hp.

We’ll see what happens. This team has grown leaps and bounds since the Temple game, and even since the Highland Park game. I really feel we’re peaking at the right time. That HP game did at least give our boys the confidence that they can play with anyone in this division. I fully expect Saturday to be a 4th quarter battle as well.

As for a reference on Guyer, they’re 6A Div. II that defeated Coppell 52-24 in round one and Arlington HS 38-32 in round two, meaning Guyer’s a tough opponent.

6 hours ago, randomuser said:

As for a reference on Guyer, they’re 6A Div. II that defeated Coppell 52-24 in round one and Arlington HS 38-32 in round two, meaning Guyer’s a tough opponent.

No doubt Guyer is a good team. We all know that. I think their team last season was better, personally. But especially a tough opponent for Ryan seeing as it's a cross town rivalry on top of it. Was also Webb's second game at Guyer as head coach. Ryan still isn't getting a 350 yard rushing day against us.

I've been to some big-time games, high school, college, professional...  and I have never heard a sound like I heard when the clock counted down to 00:00. I swear, it was a religious experience.  A football exorcism. Gives me chills just thinking about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, LOL said:

I've been to some big-time games, high school, college, professional...  and I have never heard a sound like I heard when the clock counted down to 00:00. I swear, it was a religious experience.  A football exorcism. Gives me chills just thinking about it. 

Looking for back to back '21-'22

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Maaaan there has never been anything like it for me in sports. So happy for Coach King and every Longview player/fan over the years.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ANTI said:

This isnt coming from the same people that were trying to convince themselves that 8-5A > 7-5A is it?

If so....it doesnt hold much water. Not a single 8-5A team left in the playoffs, yet 2 from 7-5A still playing.

Yalls top 2 knocked our bottom two out. Our top 2 knocked your bottom two out. Anybody that didn’t think Longview and HP would make it to round 3 is delusional. As far as Ryans district goes, I’d take wakeland and independence, maybe even reedy over our district and yalls once you get past the top 2 teams lol.... Anyways though, Lancaster was never a threat. Idgaf how fast and athletic they are. They choke as much as Lufkin does come playoff time. And I’ve never once said Longview doesn’t have a chance of beating Ryan, heck Longview would have a shot at beating almost anybody. I just think Ryan will win. But I’m biased. I have friends and family at Ryan. I don’t expect a blowout. I know what Longview brings to the table. If Ryan don’t, they may find out the hard way. I just think it’ll be a dogfight and when the smoke settles Ryan has a 35-24 type win. Wouldn’t be shocked the other way around either. I still stand by my prediction of winner of this takes state. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Yalls top 2 knocked our bottom two out. Our top 2 knocked your bottom two out. Anybody that didn’t think Longview and HP would make it to round 3 is delusional. As far as Ryans district goes, I’d take wakeland and independence, maybe even reedy over our district and yalls once you get past the top 2 teams lol.... Anyways though, Lancaster was never a threat. Idgaf how fast and athletic they are. They choke as much as Lufkin does come playoff time. And I’ve never once said Longview doesn’t have a chance of beating Ryan, heck Longview would have a shot at beating almost anybody. I just think Ryan will win. But I’m biased. I have friends and family at Ryan. I don’t expect a blowout. I know what Longview brings to the table. If Ryan don’t, they may find out the hard way. I just think it’ll be a dogfight and when the smoke settles Ryan has a 35-24 type win. Wouldn’t be shocked the other way around either. I still stand by my prediction of winner of this takes state. 

Can't argue with much of this! Good post!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

No doubt Guyer is a good team. We all know that. I think their team last season was better, personally. But especially a tough opponent for Ryan seeing as it's a cross town rivalry on top of it. Was also Webb's second game at Guyer as head coach. Ryan still isn't getting a 350 yard rushing day against us.

Please, quit speaking in absolutes. You of all people should have watched enough high school football or football in general to know that NOTHING is absolute in this game.

11 minutes ago, Quick said:

Please, quit speaking in absolutes. You of all people should have watched enough high school football or football in general to know that NOTHING is absolute in this game.

They’re not rushing for close to half of our season total.

Passing yards, maybe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LufkinPack said:

Lancaster was never a threat. Idgaf how fast and athletic they are. They choke as much as Lufkin does come playoff time. 

lol. I've been seeing this a lot.

Reminds me of 2018 when Longview smoked Vandegrift. Before that game, everyone was talking about how good Vandy was. And they were good. Then after LV beat them the way they did...people changed up the narrative....saying they werent a good team.

I think we all know Lancaster was beating down on some bad teams all year but acting like that team was a scrub is funny. They were a good team. Maybe not HP/Ryan/LV good but still good. Easily the most talented Lancaster team that I can remember. And I definitely dont get the comparison to LP when it comes to playoff success. When's the last time Lancaster took a 1st round L? Heck they have a recent state title appearance under the current coaching staff.

• Like 2