5A Division I Region II Semi-Finals: Longview vs Denton Ryan

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-2) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (11-0)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/26/2020 at 08:00 PM

Well, DR is a really good team, especially defensively. Their front seven is awesome and I think their best players are Sanders and #96, Bear Alexander.

People like to talk about Bowman Jr and he is good as a WR and DB, but the Bear was super disruptive on for that Ryan DL.

I feel like Longview just wastes a lot of their talent like Halle. I think Halle is probably a better athlete and player than Bowman, but folks may never know it, because he is not used like he should be. 

Shame. The Lobo offense is a double edged sword as it can dominate lesser teams. When you get deeper into the playoffs you usually run into a team that can shut down this very run heavy, super vanilla and conservative offense. One of the Longview guys said today King is scared to throw the ball going into the wind and another said the team has been scared to do anything outside the tackle box.

When you play that kind of offense against a great defense you’re playing right into their hands and just making it easier for them. 
My opinion on Ryan is they will lose to Highland Park next week. Ryan is awesome, but HP will throw it on them and honestly, when Longview threw the ball today they did have a little success. HP will find plenty of success through the air.

Another solid season for Longview, but today was really just sad, because DR is not so much better than Longview. Longview could’ve won this game, no doubt. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

He's big and bad now that he can hide behind a great team to beat us.

Too funny.

But anyway, we knew back in February when we saw this stacked region that we could lose any given week. It happened today.

Definitely got outcoached today. Way too conservative after that first quarter....I mean they had no answer for Jalen Hale but we went away from him for some reason. No outside runs with Meredith....just nothing outside of the tackles all game. I also expected JH to be matched up with Sanders on defense but...I guess not. But whatever. 

We loss to a good team today. Like @LoboFan07said about the only thing that really #### is it was back to back years of a SC caliber defense that was wasted. But oh well, take it on the chin, learn from it and move on. That's what we do. We got a lot of great youth on the way up so the future is bright, Jalen Hale is only a piece of the puzzle. 

At least the people get what they always wanted, Ryan vs Highland Park.

2 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Longview in 2021 might be the Ryan of this year. 

No...

We're losing a lot of defensive firepower....could see nearly 20 sophomores on varsity next year so there will be plenty of youth... BUT we'll be in the hunt as usual.

2022 is a completely different story though. 

I was very disappointed that they got away from Hale...I really think we could have kept it closer with better play calling but it is what it is....I am not going to give Jordan Allen a bunch of ####...kid played within his skill set and showed a lot of heart this year...you can wish for better but can’t be mad at a 16 year old who can’t do what you want him to do....

this team outperformed what I thought they would do this year...the defense was stellar and we have some coming back on both sides...

my hope is the best players will play at all positions including QB...we will see...going to be a short offseason for all

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, kingwolf said:

I was very disappointed that they got away from Hale...I really think we could have kept it closer with better play calling but it is what it is....I am not going to give Jordan Allen a bunch of ####...kid played within his skill set and showed a lot of heart this year...you can wish for better but can’t be mad at a 16 year old who can’t do what you want him to do....

this team outperformed what I thought they would do this year...the defense was stellar and we have a lot coming back on both sides...

my hope is the best players will play at all positions including QB...we will see...going to be a short offseason for all

Great post

• Like 1

I want to give a shout out to out Defensive Coordinator, John Berry today and this season overall. Brother, you done a phenomenal job and I seen the difference in your playcalling from the last time you were here. Keep up the good work.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean we humiliated Lufkin yet again, so I don't know why you're here to gloat.

How far has your program fallen that you're having to hide behind the #1 team in the state?

How far have we fallen?  Off the cliff and off the radar.  There is little hope of Lufkin being where Longview was today in the near future.  Good year Lobos.

14 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Ryan's front seven is very good. 

Very good gap integrity. We knew this before the game and it was one of my main concerns if you go back and read my posts before the game. 

But that's why I couldn't understand the play calling. 

Why go away from Hale? And even if you wanted to run....why not utilize Meredith's strenghts...stretch plays to the outside instead of having him attack the 1 and 2 hole so much. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

How far have we fallen?  Off the cliff and off the radar.  There is little hope of Lufkin being where Longview was today in the near future.  Good year Lobos.

Same to Lufkin...really hope Lufkin ISD has courage to make needed changes...way too much talent down there to let it go to waste...if they don’t get a solid coaching staff down there you guys may pass the point of no return...

On 12/21/2020 at 3:21 PM, ANTI said:

HP and Ryan have similar offenses. Not the same to the tee (HP utilizes a lot more crossing routes than DR) but...makeup of their offenses are very similar.

Talents at the QB position, playmakers out wide...you dont worry about the run too much although both are capable of running the ball.

But check this out. I consider HP to have the best OL in all of 5AD1 this year. The Lobo defensive front more than held their own vs HP and everyone that they've faced this year. Lancaster also has a pretty good OL and again, the Lobo DL showed up. I've seen people say that Lancaster's starting OL didn't play the other night but thats completely false. I was there....all of their starters played including the D1 guys. They just couldnt block Longview.

So, when Ryan has the ball....I have to give Longview the edge in the trenches.

Victory for Longview will come down to the answer of these questions which all involve the offense....

Can Longview avoid shooting themselves in the foot offensively? Literally the only reason Longview loss to HP was offensive miscues. Namely, a bunch of false start penalties on promising drives. Even with all of that...Longview had a chance to win it but a late game fumble in HP territory was the nail in the coffin.

Can Longview control the LOS offensively? This is a tremendous Ryan DL. Nasty LBs right behind it. HP I believe may be just as good in the front 7 and both Markevion Haynes and Kaden Meredith had over 100 yards in that matchup. Haynes had 155. If LV can control the LOS, they can control the game.

And finally, can Allen get the ball to Hale? I mentioned it earlier in the year but I havent seen a secondary in 5AD1 that can control Jalen Hale for 48 mins. Not even HP could, he had almost 100 yards in that game and plenty of other oppurtunities. Many of us left that game saying if Longview doesn't have youth at the QB position....its a decisive win in Longview's favor. He may be a sophomore but he certainly doesnt play like one. 

Although that last point wasn't necessarily on Allen, it was on play calling....the answer to all 3 of those questions were NO which is why we ultimately took a L. 

5 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

3rd different high school he has been to. Ruled ineligible last year and had to play in the jv. 

See, he could have went to Guyer or Argyle. It's something we all have to deal with until the UIL gets off their behinds and goes to work for a change.

Case in point Duncanville and North Shore.

23 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

How many players are home grown and actually born in denton I know that #96 transferred in 

#9 and #2 are coaches kids, no telling where they were born.....but they've been at Ryan since their freshman year and probably in Denton ISD longer....

The big DT is the only real big transfer I'm aware of 

• Like 1