5A Division I Region II Semi-Finals: Longview vs Denton Ryan

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-2) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (11-0)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/26/2020 at 08:00 PM

2 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Pretty much sums it up.

Longview's run defense was once again fantastic. Another sub 75 yard day for the opposing team. That's a streak of 6 games in a row to end the season, with the top 3 ranked teams in the state in that run.

The interception drop, then Ryan scoring on 4th and 9 really changed the course of the entire game. Day after I still believe that.

Longview was going against the wind the entire third quarter and Denton Ryan took advantage of it.

Ryan is as good as they were advertised. Ryan loses an extremely excellent class, so will be interesting to see how it goes for them next year. Doubt it is much of a drop off. Highland Park will be just as good as usual next year. Lobos will be fine, but I really think we need to start the Tutt era at QB.

Hopefully he's able to win out and let the three year reign begin. Getting Hale more involved will be extremely important. You saw with Ryan what their best player did. LITERALLY EVERYTHING. We never once attempted to line Hale up in the wildcat this year. We never once attempted to run a sweep with Hale. Just offensively, it has to be better.

Ryan will lose a lot of good players and they'll have good players again next year. They are one of those schools who always seem to have a formidable team who can make noise. 

Agreed regarding Hale. We did that with Aaron Johnson- moved him from receiver as a sophomore to a glorified wildcat-style QB in 2008 and 2009. I'm not expecting him to become the starting QB, but I do want to see us run Jet Sweeps and those kinds of plays with him in motion.

33 minutes ago, Quick said:

As a Lobo Alumn, I definitely respect your opinion and I can tell that it comes from a place of support and not malice. We have certain sectors of our fanbase that don't want you critiquing John King no matter if they wholeheartedly believe in everything you're saying. They just don't want you saying jack s*** about him because they have a personal relationship with him or he probably was cordial enough to shake their hands at a weenie dog function.

And, don't get me wrong, John King is a hilarious person to shoot the breeze with and he will have you cracking up and hurting your side laughing. He's a Man of exceptional character, morals and standards and if you've heard him in person you would know that goes without saying. BUT!!!! John King as a head coach underachieved yesterday in his offensive play calling. It was NOT his best work by no stretch of the imagination.

And, what infuriates me about John King is that I know his potential because I have seen him do exceptional play calling before. But, his PRIDE and bullheadedness cost the TEAM a shot to advance. If, we were getting blown out with no answer, I could live with the results yesterday. And, after being at Longview High since 2000 (YES, 20 YEARS) I expect him to coach like he's been here for 20 and not 2. He's still making the same mistakes that he made early on in his career and I don't care how any of the sympathizers for John King feel out there, THAT arrogant, bullheaded, honory and conservative type of playcalling against ELITE athletes equals a seat at the house every, single time.

Elite coaches don't have to have a 5 star quarterback at the helm every year to win. Scott Surrat has EIGHT(8) state titles in a span of 10-15 years. If, I am not mistaken that equals the State Record for ALL classifications. Ask him how many 5-Star quarterbacks he's had in that time frame. The man just gets the job done and he AIN'T recruiting either. If he was, he'd already be sanctioned by the U.I.L. That's not too shabby for someone out of Linden, Texas.

(Sorry for the short novels, Y'all know how I am.)

You know that Haynes wasn't a 5 star QB, right? 

I do agree regarding games in the wind. The 05 SG game was lost in the wind, as was the 2011 Delaney game. Against Leander in 07 and 18 against Westfield were really the only windy games we've won, and even the Westfield game was much closer than if it had been played indoors. Coach King has got to find short passes or something to rely on when games are windy like yesterday. Otherwise he gets one dimensional which won't fly against a strong, athletic team like Ryan.

Also, winning at 3a/4a is not the same as winning at the higher classifications. Surratt is what he is- probably the best coach ever at that level. That doesn't necessarily mean he'd step into Longview and win big. Same as a College coach doesn't necessarily step into the NFL and win... Different ballgames. 

28 minutes ago, Quick said:

As a Lobo Alumn, I definitely respect your opinion and I can tell that it comes from a place of support and not malice. We have certain sectors of our fanbase that don't want you critiquing John King no matter if they wholeheartedly believe in everything you're saying. They just don't want you saying jack s*** about him because they have a personal relationship with him or he probably was cordial enough to shake their hands at a weenie dog function.

And, don't get me wrong, John King is a hilarious person to shoot the breeze with and he will have you cracking up and hurting your side laughing. He's a Man of exceptional character, morals and standards and if you've heard him in person you would know that goes without saying. BUT!!!! John King as a head coach underachieved yesterday in his offensive play calling. It was NOT his best work by no stretch of the imagination.

And, what infuriates me about John King is that I know his potential because I have seen him do exceptional play calling before. But, his PRIDE and bullheadedness cost the TEAM a shot to advance. If, we were getting blown out with no answer, I could live with the results yesterday. And, after being at Longview High since 2000 (YES, 20 YEARS) I expect him to coach like he's been here for 20 and not 2. He's still making the same mistakes that he made early on in his career and I don't care how any of the sympathizers for John King feel out there, THAT arrogant, bullheaded, honory and conservative type of playcalling against ELITE athletes equals a seat at the house every, single time.

Elite coaches don't have to have a 5 star quarterback at the helm every year to win. Scott Surrat has EIGHT(8) state titles in a span of 10-15 years. If, I am not mistaken that equals the State Record for ALL classifications. Ask him how many 5-Star quarterbacks he's had in that time frame. The man just gets the job done and he AIN'T recruiting either. If he was, he'd already be sanctioned by the U.I.L. That's not too shabby for someone out of Linden, Texas.

(Sorry for the short novels, Y'all know how I am.)

I hear ya, it can be frustrating knowing what could've been... lobos D is solid, offense could use a lil touch.... that being said DR front 7 was massive and got a good push on many plays... personally I don't believe DR is 18 points better than Longview.... good luck next year ill be following them lobos

• Thanks 1

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

Also, winning at 3a/4a is not the same as winning at the higher classifications. Surratt is what he is- probably the best coach ever at that level. That doesn't mean he'd step into Longview and win big. Same as a College coach doesn't step into the NFL and win... Different ballgames. 

Haynes was a 5 Star QB. He was liked ranked the #1 QB in his class. I would ask where you've been at but, knowing full well you were there the entire 2018 season, the real question now is what was it you were smoking and how much? Don't play crazy. You know full well Haynes was a 5-Star QB.

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Listen Jett, you’re not allowed to question the lobos staff on how they use personnel or play calling.  That automatically makes you a dumass or a hater that doesn’t know football.  And besides you come from lil ole Winona, you can’t know much about football.  If you want to know football, you have to watch Longview every week to increase your knowledge of the game so then you’re not questioning the great King.  Then and only then will you know anything and be accepted by the likes of lobo fans on sdc

LMAO :rofl:

3 minutes ago, Quick said:

Haynes was a 5 Star QB. He was liked ranked the #1 QB in his class. I would ask where you've been at but, knowing full well you were there the entire 2018 season, the real question now is what was it you were smoking and how much? Don't play crazy. You know full well Haynes was a 5-Star QB.

https://247sports.com/player/haynes-king-46049892/

He was 4 star. 

Where exactly was I for the entire 2018 season? Lol

Just now, JohnnyFootball said:

I will have to do some digging to find the source but, I VIVIDLY remember when Haynes King received his 5 star rating as a recruit. As a matter of fact, the 40-0 blowout game he had against John Tyler, social media asked THIS exact question, "So THIS is the #1 QB in the Nation!!!??" He had a -poor performance that night and his 5 star rating became in question on a national level. Now, whether he ended up still being a 5 star is one thing but, he definitely was a 5 star.

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I looked it up... Apparently he WAS briefly a 5 star QB at some point and dropped to a 4 star. 

Either way, I get the point you're making- he was a once in a lifetime kinda player at Longview. 

I don't even remember him dropping from the 5-Star status once he earned it, to be quite candid. Not saying that it didn't happen, just saying I don't remember. 

22 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I do agree regarding games in the wind. The 05 SG game was lost in the wind, as was the 2011 Delaney game. Against Leander in 07 and 18 against Westfield were really the only windy games we've won, and even the Westfield game was much closer than if it had been played indoors. Coach King has got to find short passes or something to rely on when games are windy like yesterday. Otherwise he gets one dimensional which won't fly against a strong, athletic team like Ryan.

Also, winning at 3a/4a is not the same as winning at the higher classifications. Surratt is what he is- probably the best coach ever at that level. That doesn't necessarily mean he'd step into Longview and win big. Same as a College coach doesn't necessarily step into the NFL and win... Different ballgames. 

We’ll see which one gets to the college ranks quicker. 

Oh well, l got my worthless @** Dallas Cowboys left, I have no idea what my Dallas Mavericks are going to do but Mark Cuban needs to seriously reconsider Rick Carlisle's future as the head coach, I am not a hockey fan by no stretch but, the Dallas Stars is my hockey team and I am rooting for them to make it back to the Stanley Cup after falling just short last year. My Texas Rangers......... I just...... I'm not about to get started on them. They definitely didn't deserve a new stadium.

And, my Oklahoma Sooners. Unlike Skip Bayless, I am not too fond of Lincoln Riley these days. It's personal and has more to do with his disrespect of East Texas talent and not wanting to recruit here. I personally think it's childish in a sense where he still looks at it as a West Texas vs East Texas deal considering he's from Muleshoe, (Middle of Nowhere) Texas. Anyway, long offseason...... 🤬Uuugggggghhhh!!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

59 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

https://247sports.com/player/haynes-king-46049892/

He was 4 star. 

Where exactly was I for the entire 2018 season? Lol

Going into King’s senior season he was the #1 QB in the entire country after having won state the previous season. King struggled his senior season and slipped in the recruiting rankings. 

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

We’ll see which one gets to the college ranks quicker. 

You know that King has been turning down college coaching jobs since 2003, don't you? Lol he was the OC when Pat Collins was the head coach. King turned down a D-1AA assistant job to instead become head coach at Longview.

I'm sure Surratt has turned several jobs down too.

For whatever reason, both are content with where they're at and the legacies they've built.

30 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

You know that King has been turning down college coaching jobs since 2003, don't you? Lol he was the OC when Pat Collins was the head coach. King turned down a D-1AA assistant job to instead become head coach at Longview.

I'm sure Surratt has turned several jobs down too.

For whatever reason, both are content with where they're at and the legacies they've built.

Has king turned down HC jobs?  That’s what I meant

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Then why didn't you say that? 

Even if Surratt decides to leave Carthage, it probably won't be for a HC job. It'd be for an assistant position and he'd work his way to an HC job. 

Traylor made HC in about 4 years.  I could see the same fit surratt.  King might should’ve left already if he’s got those aspirations, before the interest dries up.

10 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Traylor made HC in about 4 years.  I could see the same fit surratt.  King might should’ve left already if he’s got those aspirations, before the interest dries up.

King ain't going anywhere, imho. I think he stays until he's ready to retire...  sometime in his late 80s.  :D 

4 hours ago, Quick said:

As a Lobo Alumn, I definitely respect your opinion and I can tell that it comes from a place of support and not malice.

Jett is cool people.

Not a hater like a lot of these other cats that love jumping in a Lobo thread after we lose.

• Like 1