5A Division I Region II Semi-Finals: Longview vs Denton Ryan

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-2) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (11-0)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/26/2020 at 08:00 PM

58 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

You should, kings eventual replacement could come from those classifications 

No it wouldn't.

Even then....like who? 

According to you, Surratt is the only one who can coach out there and he wouldnt leave Carthage nor should he.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

Wrong.

2007: 2nd round loss to state champ liberty hill.

2008-2010:  State champs

2011: 3rd round loss to Argyle.

2012: semifinal loss to el campo.

2013: State champs.

2014:  2nd round loss to el campo.  (Worst season of Surratt era.)

2015: semifinal loss to state champ la vega.

2016-2017:  State champs.

2018: semifinal loss to liberty hill.

2019-2020: State champs.

8 titles in 14 years. 'Nuff said.

Still rooting for the Lobos to get another ship though.  No ill-will from this old Dawg.

I've noticed that most Carthage fans are awesome. We really have no beef with Carthage- we don't play. It's other fans that sow ill feelings between the two programs. 

Congrats on another state title!

On 12/27/2020 at 7:38 PM, kingwolf said:

I know this may sound really stupid but if they don't let Tutt start in the summer 7 on 7, then I hope LV runs two teams so he can get some reps...bad feeling we won't see him get a shot

It gonna be real interesting come next season! Like when Haynes was a Soph...but Carter and Lawson were already at the position. King has a dilemma brewing...

6 hours ago, ANTI said:

No it wouldn't.

Even then....like who? 

According to you, Surratt is the only one who can coach out there and he wouldnt leave Carthage nor should he.

I’ve never said he was the only one.  There are many out there that can coach, modify and adjust to different levels of talent.  I bet you think they can’t coach because they come from lower levels.  I also bet you think King could drop to lower levels and dominate too don’t you.  

11 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I also bet you think King could drop to lower levels and dominate too don’t you.  

This is beyond obvious.

Look at what King assistants did at Gladewater. Baugh/Berry turned that place completely around. Now Baugh is winning at Ruston in LA. And guess whose philosophy they were/are using.

Also, King won a SC as a player at a small school. But yeah, I'm sure he knows nothing about winning at the small school level.

The moment he stepped foot on Longview's campus back in 2000, things trended up for Longview. And even higher when he became HC.

Carry on, hater.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

There are many out there that can coach, modify and adjust to different levels of talent.  

From the ETX area, list them.

Can't wait to see all these amazing coaches that would have Longview going 16-0 every single year.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ANTI said:

This is beyond obvious.

Look at what King assistants did at Gladewater. Ball/Berry turned that place completely around. Now Ball is winning at Ruston in LA. And guess whose philosophy they were/are using.

Also, King won a SC as a player at a small school. But yeah, I'm sure he knows nothing about winning at the small school level.

The moment he stepped foot on Longview's campus back in 2000, things trended up for Longview. And even higher when he became HC.

Carry on, hater.

Berry had 6 years at glade water...according to the historical section.    Won 10/11 games for 3years and a couple 2-3 win  seasons mixed in.  That’s respectable.  But dropping from 6a to 3a I felt like he’d had them title contenders the way you guys talk about how easy the lower classifications are.  From your talk a 6a coach should dominate moving down in classifications and lower classification coaches just aren’t good enough for the larger ones.  Hmmf 

ruston has been a 6-8 win team for years. They’re not really known for producing a lot of football talent. I’ve watched them dating back to the early 2000’s.  I got to see Rueben Randle and his Bastrop Rams team humiliate Ruston.  I had a friend on staff at Ruston then and he told me to expect that.  So going there and winning 7/8 games a year with one 11 win season mixed in isn’t what I’d call “winning”.  I’d call it what the last couple of coaches got fired for.  You should really investigate what you’re arguing over before you state something as fact.  Those guys didn’t tear the patch up like you tell it.  

I know all about king.  Where he playe high school, college.  Didn’t he coach at vidor too?  How’s that episode go.  He reminds me of Tom Herman.  Good coach but seems to turtle up in high pressure situations.  

56 minutes ago, ANTI said:

From the ETX area, list them.

Can't wait to see all these amazing coaches that would have Longview going 16-0 every single year.

Nobody would have them going 16-0 every year.  That’s ridiculous.  Just hire somebody that’s confident in his team and staff and doesn’t turtle up when you shouldn’t.  I’m not going to list any names justbso you can try to discredit them.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Same for you.  You just don’t like somebody saying something you disagree with.

I just dont like ignorant people actually.

There's a difference between a difference in opinion and pure ignorance.

Guess which one you fall under. 

52 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Berry had 6 years at glade water...according to the historical section.    Won 10/11 games for 3years and a couple 2-3 win  seasons mixed in.  That’s respectable.  But dropping from 6a to 3a I felt like he’d had them title contenders the way you guys talk about how easy the lower classifications are.  From your talk a 6a coach should dominate moving down in classifications and lower classification coaches just aren’t good enough for the larger ones.  Hmmf 

ruston has been a 6-8 win team for years. They’re not really known for producing a lot of football talent. I’ve watched them dating back to the early 2000’s.  I got to see Rueben Randle and his Bastrop Rams team humiliate Ruston.  I had a friend on staff at Ruston then and he told me to expect that.  So going there and winning 7/8 games a year with one 11 win season mixed in isn’t what I’d call “winning”.  I’d call it what the last couple of coaches got fired for.  You should really investigate what you’re arguing over before you state something as fact.  Those guys didn’t tear the patch up like you tell it.  

I know all about king.  Where he playe high school, college.  Didn’t he coach at vidor too?  How’s that episode go.  He reminds me of Tom Herman.  Good coach but seems to turtle up in high pressure situations.  

Baugh/Berry took GW to heights they hadnt seen in decades. But DB2 says, "they didnt win state, so it doesnt count". 

Baugh is 33-16 at Ruston. Had an 11 win season in 2018. I did some digging and found out that Ruston hadn't had an 11 win season in more than 2 decades. But yeah, "thats not winning" and Baugh cant coach.

Your last paragraph pretty much sums up the person you are (ignorant) and Im not even gonna waste time addressing it.

Casual.

50 minutes ago, ANTI said:

I just dont like ignorant people actually.

There's a difference between a difference in opinion and pure ignorance.

Guess which one you fall under. 

So if somebody doesn’t agree with you they’re ignorant?  Ignorant means without knowledge.  So far what you’ve spoke of was wrong.  You were wrong about the gladwater and Ruston coaches.  But carry on.  I know which side you fall under, no guessing.

28 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Baugh/Berry took GW to heights they hadnt seen in decades. But DB2 says, "they didnt win state, so it doesnt count". 

Baugh is 33-16 at Ruston. Had an 11 win season in 2018. I did some digging and found out that Ruston hadn't had an 11 win season in more than 2 decades. But yeah, "thats not winning" and Baugh cant coach.

Your last paragraph pretty much sums up the person you are (ignorant) and Im not even gonna waste time addressing it.

Casual.

Where did I say they winning state was all that matters.  If you’re the one putting words in my mouth I guess it does help your argument, but I didn’t say that.  I showed you the facts and evidently they didn’t settle well in your stomach.  Much like people telling you about John king and Longview. 

One 11 win season doesn’t constitute winning.  What about his 7-6, 8-3 (early out) and the other 7-4ish season?  That’s par for the course at Ruston.  I’m glad you dug, at least you found that one great 11 win season to overpower their average seasons they’ve been having.  But I’d already told you about it.  Carry on

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

You're not gonna list them because you have none.

I believe the Shiner coach could do as good as King.  The Refugio coach too. The Waskom guy wouldn’t do any worse.  That’s just 3 from the lower ranks.  I could continue, but that should give you enough to sit around and try to find ways to discredit them. A good coach isn’t limited by the classification or talent.  A good coach finds ways to use the talent they have to beat the opponent at hand.  Too many times have we seen king turtle up.  But carry on

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I showed you the facts

Facts?

All I see are a bunch of ignorant opinions.

If you got something against King personally, just say that. But saying hes a bad coach makes you look like a hater.

You don't win bling being a bad coach. Especially on the 6A level.

19 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Facts?

All I see are a bunch of ignorant opinions.

If you got something against King personally, just say that. But saying hes a bad coach makes you look like a hater.

You don't win bling being a bad coach. Especially on the 6A level.

The facts that those coaches were tearing up the patch.  One had good years at glade water, but also a couple where he only won 2 or 3 games.  Facts....  one has done about like the last couple of coaches at Ruston except for one 11 win season.  Fact.  

and where have I said king was a bad coach.  Dig back through this thread and quote it.  In fact I believe I said he was a good coach, but the times he loses was because he goes too vanilla, or turtles up and plays not to lose.  Winning bling is awesome, but no more impressive at the 6a level than at 2a.  You’re still playing like competition.  When you’re coaching against a 6a team it’s with 6a talent.  You act like Longview doesn’t have the talent sometimes and that just getting 3rounds deep is some sort of accomplishment.  You’re missing my entire point.  I believe Longview is loaded with talent every year.  I just want to see them use it to their advantage.   The right coach would’ve won a few more titles through the last 16 years.  Instead of just when he has a top rated qb

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1