5A Division I Region II Semi-Finals: Longview vs Denton Ryan

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-2) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (11-0)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/26/2020 at 08:00 PM

35 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I believe the Shiner coach could do as good as King.  The Refugio coach too. The Waskom guy wouldn’t do any worse.  That’s just 3 from the lower ranks.  I could continue, but that should give you enough to sit around and try to find ways to discredit them. A good coach isn’t limited by the classification or talent.  A good coach finds ways to use the talent they have to beat the opponent at hand.  Too many times have we seen king turtle up.  But carry on

Shiner's veer would've smoked Ryan? Against that front 7? 😂 okay, whatever you say guru.

Waskom's Flexbone would've been effective?

How does a veer or flexbone offense benefit the likes of Jalen Hale better than a King offense which features many different modern formations?

9 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Precisely.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Ok, go watch Longview every year and be content with getting outperformed and out coached while having the talent advantage.   It’s the norm and evidently you are comfortable with the norm.  According to you Longview posters.....and it’s been said before, lower classifications can’t beat 6a teams.....,Longview shouldn’t have any trouble winning it all in 5a.  That’s coming from y’all.  So evidently you should think you underachieved too.  If you just have a man crush on king just say it.  It beats what you’re doing now.

2 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Shiner's veer would've smoked Ryan? Against that front 7? 😂 okay, whatever you say guru.

Waskom's Flexbone would've been effective?

How does a veer or flexbone offense benefit the likes of Jalen Hale better than a King offense which features many different modern formations?

And there’s the stupidity.  Just because he runs the veer at shiner doesn’t mean he would at Longview.  You are a moron 

• LOL! 1

Just now, DB2point0 said:

Ok, go watch Longview every year and be content with getting outperformed and out coached while having the talent advantage.   It’s the norm and evidently you are comfortable with the norm.  According to you Longview posters.....and it’s been said before, lower classifications can’t beat 6a teams.....,Longview shouldn’t have any trouble winning it all in 5a.  That’s coming from y’all.  So evidently you should think you underachieved too.  If you just have a man crush on king just say it.  It beats what you’re doing now.

Ok, go cry.

Why must this conversation take place every year? Longview / King and Carthage / Surratt have one thing in common, they are both in East Texas. That’s it. The comparisons stop there. They don’t run the same offense or have the same offensive philosophy. They don’t have the same football philosophy in general. These 2 teams are coached completely different. And both deal with different issues that come with running their specific program.

Anybody that doesn’t think JK is a excellent coach is crazy. I can only imagine the things he has to deal with on a day to day basis that goes far beyond football. Things that Surratt doesn’t have to deal with being in Carthage. I won’t get into all those things, that’s a whole different topic all together. King is a great fit for Longview and obviously handles all the things that come with being the leader of that program at a very high level. He is one of the best and most well respected coaches in the state of Texas. His peers obviously feel the same way as shown by him being named the President of the THSFBCA. His resume speaks for itself. End of story.

Does it seems like Longview’s offense gets a little vanilla at times for people that don’t follow the program closely? Sure it does. I think even the most die hard Longview fans would say the same. But for people who watch 1 or 2 games Longview plays in a season to comment and condemn King as a average coach is not fair. We don’t know the full dynamic or have a full understanding of the big picture. The guy basically doesn’t do anything but win. Would everybody like to see Longview win 5 or 6 state titles? Yea, obviously. But is that a realistic expectation? No, not for any coach. King would have success anywhere he went. That’s obvious. 

Now for those who think Surratt just wins because he coaches at Carthage in 4a. Yes, he coaches in 4a. And yes he usually has better players than the other team. But the amount of winning he is doing is staggering. The guy could coach at any level of football. If you think otherwise you are either A: Being a hater or B: Just trying to respond to the haters. It’s asinine to think Surratt wouldn’t win at any level. The guy is running an NFL offense. The things he is doing from an offense perspective are unbelievable. His development of quarterbacks is second to none. That dates back to his days at TH and Ryan Mallet (and a lot of other QB at his time in that program). What did TH do after Surratt and his offense left? Big time football guys that come and visit the Carthage program always leave impressed, I promise you that. Surratt is an offensive savant. I don’t know another way to put it. People may laugh at that, but that’s fine. I don’t know how else to explain what we see every year. Sometimes you go a whole game and never see the same play twice. Maybe not the same formation. His feel for the game and abilities to call plays would translate anywhere. If you say otherwise you are not paying attention, or you just don’t want to admit it because he is doing it at a smaller school. The guy would have an offense humming anywhere he went. 

I think both coaches represent East Texas in the best way possible. And if you ask either they wouldn’t trade places. Why can’t we just appreciate both? Why must this conversation take place every year. Both are happy where they are and both have the programs at or near the top of their respective classes. I tried not to comment, but I see it every year. We just need to appreciate what we have in these 2 legendary HOF coaches. Enjoy it while it last, because it won’t last forever that’s the only thing guaranteed.

Sorry for the long post, I won’t comment on this topic again. Just hate seeing this every year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

And there’s the stupidity.  Just because he runs the veer at shiner doesn’t mean he would at Longview.  You are a moron 

Yeah...move that goal post.

His system wouldnt work at Longview. He wouldnt fit at Longview.

You just assumed he would because of W/L record. But there is way more to football than that.

Learn the game. 🤡

Just now, BulldogBacker12 said:

Why must this conversation take place every year? Longview / King and Carthage / Surratt have one thing in common, they are both in East Texas. That’s it. The comparisons stop there. They don’t run the same offense or have the same offensive philosophy. They don’t have the same football philosophy in general. These 2 teams are coached completely different. And both deal with different issues that come with running their specific program.

Anybody that doesn’t think JK is a excellent coach is crazy. I can only imagine the things he has to deal with on a day to day basis that goes far beyond football. Things that Surratt doesn’t have to deal with being in Carthage. I won’t get into all those things, that’s a whole different topic all together. King is a great fit for Longview and obviously handles all the things that come with being the leader of that program at a very high level. He is one of the best and most well respected coaches in the state of Texas. His peers obviously feel the same way as shown by him being named the President of the THSFBCA. His resume speaks for itself. End of story.

Does it seems like Longview’s offense gets a little vanilla at times for people that don’t follow the program closely? Sure it does. I think even the most die hard Longview fans would say the same. But for people who watch 1 or 2 games Longview plays in a season to comment and condemn King as a average coach is not fair. We don’t know the full dynamic or have a full understanding of the big picture. The guy basically doesn’t do anything but win. Would everybody like to see Longview win 5 or 6 state titles? Yea, obviously. But is that a realistic expectation? No, not for any coach. King would have success anywhere he went. That’s obvious. 

Now for those who think Surratt just wins because he coaches at Carthage in 4a. Yes, he coaches in 4a. And yes he usually has better players than the other team. But the amount of winning he is doing is staggering. The guy could coach at any level of football. If you think otherwise you are either A: Being a hater or B: Just trying to respond to the haters. It’s asinine to think Surratt wouldn’t win at any level. The guy is running an NFL offense. The things he is doing from an offense perspective are unbelievable. His development of quarterbacks is second to none. That dates back to his days at TH and Ryan Mallet (and a lot of other QB at his time in that program). What did TH do after Surratt and his offense left? Big time football guys that come and visit the Carthage program always leave impressed, I promise you that. Surratt is an offensive savant. I don’t know another way to put it. People may laugh at that, but that’s fine. I don’t know how else to explain what we see every year. Sometimes you go a whole game and never see the same play twice. Maybe not the same formation. His feel for the game and abilities to call plays would translate anywhere. If you say otherwise you are not paying attention, or you just don’t want to admit it because he is doing it at a smaller school. The guy would have an offense humming anywhere he went. 

I think both coaches represent East Texas in the best way possible. And if you ask either they wouldn’t trade places. Why can’t we just appreciate both? Why must this conversation take place every year. Both are happy where they are and both have the programs at or near the top of their respective classes. I tried not to comment, but I see it every year. We just need to appreciate what we have in these 2 legendary HOF coaches. Enjoy it while it last, because it won’t last forever that’s the only thing guaranteed.

Sorry for the long post, I won’t comment on this topic again. Just hate seeing this every year. 

Why?  Because Longview thinks every compares them.  I never once said surratt’s name.  They are the ones talking about him.  Not me.  They must be insecure about it 

Just now, BulldogBacker12 said:

DB2 sparks this BS up every year. 

King lives rent free in his head.

1 minute ago, ANTI said:

His system wouldnt work at Longview. He woukdnt fit at Longview.

You just assumed he would because of W/L record. But there is way more to football than that.

Learn the game. 🤡

So you’re saying it’s all he knows?  That’s your ignorance and stupidity showing.  I never said his veer would work at Longview.  I said he would prolly be a good coach.  I’m sure he could adapt to the talent level.  Like I said.  Keep talking.  You’re showing more

5 minutes ago, ANTI said:

His system wouldnt work at Longview. He wouldnt fit at Longview.

Learn the game. 🤡

Goal post.  That’s a JohnnyFootball term.  Why don’t you just use that handle all the time instead of logging in as two separate posters

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Keep talking.  

Actually I have no interest to.

I only talk to those who know the game. 

I know more about Longview than you ever could and you're way too ignorant for the convo so I'm good.

Keep on hatin'. Longview isn't falling off anytime soon.

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

Actually I have no interest to.

I only talk to those who know the game. 

I know more about Longview than you ever could and you're way too ignorant for the convo so I'm good.

Keep on hatin'. Longview isn't falling off anytime soon.

Yet you’re still doing it. Goodbye JF
🏼

6 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I know all about king.  Where he playe high school, college.  Didn’t he coach at vidor too?  How’s that episode go.  He reminds me of Tom Herman.  Good coach but seems to turtle up in high pressure situations.  

I usually let people go on and on about their opinions about coaching because we all think we are experts at some point and could be a consultant and lead area teams to a state championship if they would just listen to us....BUT MAN....you are a DAMN CLOWN....just stop....are you Lion's brother or inbred cousin?

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I usually let people go on and on about their opinions about coaching because we all think we are experts at some point and could be a consultant and lead area teams to a state championship if they would just listen to us....BUT MAN....you are a DAMN CLOWN....just stop....are you Lion's brother or inbred cousin?

Why?  Because I don’t hold the same opinion about king as y’all do?  

12 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Berry had 6 years at glade water...according to the historical section.    Won 10/11 games for 3years and a couple 2-3 win  seasons mixed in.  That’s respectable.  But dropping from 6a to 3a I felt like he’d had them title contenders the way you guys talk about how easy the lower classifications are.  From your talk a 6a coach should dominate moving down in classifications and lower classification coaches just aren’t good enough for the larger ones.  Hmmf 

ruston has been a 6-8 win team for years. They’re not really known for producing a lot of football talent. I’ve watched them dating back to the early 2000’s.  I got to see Rueben Randle and his Bastrop Rams team humiliate Ruston.  I had a friend on staff at Ruston then and he told me to expect that.  So going there and winning 7/8 games a year with one 11 win season mixed in isn’t what I’d call “winning”.  I’d call it what the last couple of coaches got fired for.  You should really investigate what you’re arguing over before you state something as fact.  Those guys didn’t tear the patch up like you tell it.  

I know all about king.  Where he playe high school, college.  Didn’t he coach at vidor too?  How’s that episode go.  He reminds me of Tom Herman.  Good coach but seems to turtle up in high pressure situations.  

didn't want to comment on this thread...but I have probably watched more Louisiana football (especially North Louisiana) than most on this forum.  You are off about Ruston. Ruston is considered a blue blood program in North Louisiana.  They have sent plenty of guys to D-1 schools over the years, even since 2000.

by the way, I was at that Ruston/Bastrop game.

one last thing.  King and Surratt are both great coaches. I think both would win alot in almost any class. I believe Surratt was OC win Texas-High won 5a title. So pretty sure he could win at higher class.  Most things in life aren't black and white. Some coaches can win at lower levels, but not in higher classes, and vice versa. Its all about the situation. But generally speaking, the top coaches can make the most of a situation and be successful in most places. Successful may not mean state championship all the time, but that don't mean they were failures. Kerry Lane at Pine Tree has been very successful, because he turned around a very bad program.  Anyway, good season Longview...I'm sure yall will be back next yr.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

didn't want to comment on this thread...but I have probably watched more Louisiana football (especially North Louisiana) than most on this forum.  You are off about Ruston. Ruston is considered a blue blood program in North Louisiana.  They have sent plenty of guys to D-1 schools over the years, even since 2000.

one last thing.  King and Surratt are both great coaches. I think both would win alot in almost any class. I believe Surratt was OC win Texas-High won 5a title. So pretty sure he could win at higher class.  Most things in life aren't black and white. Some coaches can win at lower levels, but not in higher classes, and vice versa. Its all about the situation. But generally speaking, the top coaches can make the most of a situation and be successful in most places. Successful may not mean state championship all the time, but that don't mean they were failures. Kerry Lane at Pine Tree has been very successful, because he turned around a very bad program.  Anyway, good season Longview...I'm sure yall will be back next yr.

Just look at their past records and you’ll see what I’m talking about.  Solid program but never makes many deep runs.  11 wins was the exception, not the rule.  

rueben Randle was a man amongst boys that night.  I have seen a bunch of La football, too

13 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Thanks bud. I hope your Lions get it together. I love when we have big rivalry games. 

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Just look at their past records and you’ll see what I’m talking about.  Solid program but never makes many deep runs.  11 wins was the exception, not the rule.  

rueben Randle was a man amongst boys that night.  I have seen a bunch of La football, too

I'm not talking about wins, i'm talking about how program is viewed across the state.  Despite the lack of 10 win seasons recently, they are considered a solid Louisiana 5a program, that has deep history. They usuallty have at least one or two div-1 players every yr. 

And Yes Randle was unreal.  The team his junior yr is probably one of the best teams in Louisiana history. Randall Mackey at Qb and Randle at WR was crazy.

1 minute ago, JTFAN99 said:

I'm not talking about wins, i'm talking about how program is viewed across the state.  Despite the lack of 10 win seasons recently, they are considered a solid Louisiana 5a program, that has deep history. They usuallty have at least one or two div-1 players every yr. 

And Yes Randle was unreal.  The team his junior yr is probably one of the best teams in Louisiana history. Randall Mackey at Qb and Randle at WR was crazy.

Compared to the 5a teams they play, yes they have lest talent .