5A Division I Region II Semi-Finals: Longview vs Denton Ryan

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (9-2) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (11-0)  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/26/2020 at 08:00 PM

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Compared to the 5a teams they play, yes they have lest talent .  

Ruston is one of the smallest 5a schools in the state. About 1300 kids, but playing schools with 1600 and up. Tough district with West Monroe, Ouachita, and ASH.  Ruston is one of those towns with alot of politics. They finally got smart and hired a good coach. If coach stays, future is bright.  BUT...really Lousiana coaches, compatred to Texas, don't make alot of money (except West Monroe and a few others) and they usually have to teach a class. Coach may find his way back to Texas.

7 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The worst thing to me is the declining numbers and overall apathy to the program. 

Under Wilson, JT was legendary... A couple decades later and here we are. 

not far removed from being one of top 5a programs in state.  Like you said, its one thing to have a bad yr, but program as a whole seems to be declining.  Sad. Hopefully they get things back in right direction this upcoming season.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Anyway, good season Longview...I'm sure yall will be back next yr.

Nah, you heard the guru.

Longview underachieved this year because they didnt win state.

Other than that...solid post.

By the way, I have no animosity toward Surratt. I just hate it when folks act like its easy to win a title every year in the higher classifications when they dont understand the landscape. Those burbs are no joke. You're facing teams with crazy talent, dealing with transferred up teams with rediculous coaching week end and week out. The sh:: is hard. I mean damn, last year Rodney Webb, Mike Spradlin, John King, Kurt Traylor, Jeff Fleener were all in one district. That's a lot of W's/ring winners in one district.

Answer me this...how many non suburban 5A/6A schools have the resume of Longview the past 17 seasons?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Nah, you heard the guru.

Longview underachieved this year because they didnt win state.

Other than that...solid post.

By the way, I have no animosity toward Surratt. I just hate it when folks act like its easy to win a title every year in the higher classifications when they dont understand the landscape. Those burbs are no joke. You're facing teams with crazy talent, dealing with transferred up teams with rediculous coaching week end and week out. The sh:: is hard. I mean damn, last year Rodney Webb, Mike Spradlin, John King, Kurt Traylor, Jeff Fleener were all in one district. That's a lot of W's/ring winners in one district.

Answer me this...how many non suburban 5A/6A schools have the resume of Longview the past 17 seasons?

I don't won't to take anything away from any team . Its tough to win state at any level. For the most part, the playing deck has been evened out more with the split classes, except for 6a. A school with 2200 playing schools with 4000 kids is crazy.

The landscape has changed. It used to be that the rural 5a/6a schools (JT, LV, LP, Midland, Odessa, Killeen etc) and inner city 5a/6a schools (Carter, Yates, Skyline, Kimball, Ike) had all the talent.  Pretty much everything is in the burbs now, and the demographics are changing in the inner city and rural areas.  

At the same time, at the smaller schools, if you have one or two lesser talent classes, it affects your program greater than at a large school.  

Its tough, Can't really think of any big school with Longview resume, unless you consider Ennis a non surburban school (I think it could go either way with that in my opinion)  With LP and JT falling off,  I can't think of another school. (maybe Temple or Midway).  King has done a great job.  I really think LV had the yr most expected.  QBs are young and not as talented as Haynes. They should be solid next yr. I expect another deep run.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I don't won't to take anything away from any team . Its tough to win state at any level. For the most part, the playing deck has been evened out more with the split classes, except for 6a. A school with 2200 playing schools with 4000 kids is crazy.

The landscape has changed. It used to be that the rural 5a/6a schools (JT, LV, LP, Midland, Odessa, Killeen etc) and inner city 5a/6a schools (Carter, Yates, Skyline, Kimball, Ike) had all the talent.  Pretty much everything is in the burbs now, and the demographics are changing in the inner city and rural areas.  

At the same time, at the smaller schools, if you have one or two lesser talent classes, it affects your program greater than at a large school.  

Its tough, Can't really think of any big school with Longview resume, unless you consider Ennis a non surburban school (I think it could go either way with that in my opinion)  With LP and JT falling off,  I can't think of another school. (maybe Temple or Midway).  King has done a great job.  I really think LV had the yr most expected.  QBs are young and not as talented as Haynes. They should be solid next yr. I expect another deep run.

Completely agree...if Longview starts the right QB, which means the most talented and best skills, then they have a shot to make a lot of noise next year.  I really don't care what last name the QB has at this point, just let the best one start regardless of age/grade...

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LOL said:

I'll defer to Anti/LoboFan, but my snap assessment is: 

Allen: most system experience
Grant: most overall talent
Tutt: best passing mechanics 

Pretty much what ^ said.

I could dig deep into this but to keep it simple, I'll make comparisons.

Allen's potential is slightly greater than Dez Chumley.

Grant's potential is slightly more athletic, larger size version of Bivins Caraway or his pops, Quincy Grant.

Now, we get to Tutt. MAYBE not quite HK, but he could be the 2nd best Lobo QB ever when its all said and done. 4* caliber QB for the future.

Good problem to have if you're Longview, but you can only start one. Size isnt an issue with none of these guys, Allen is 6'1 180, Grant is 6'3 dang near 200 and Tutt is 6'0 170.

How I would rank each in the major areas:

Decision making
Tutt
Allen
Grant

Arm strength
Grant
Tutt
Allen

Accuracy
Tutt
Grant
Allen

System Knowledge
Allen
Tutt
Grant

Size
Grant
Allen
Tutt

Mechanics
Tutt
Grant 
Allen

Intangibles
Tutt
Allen
Grant

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LOL said:

I'll defer to Anti/LoboFan, but my snap assessment is: 

Allen: most system experience
Grant: most overall talent
Tutt: best passing mechanics 

Could have all the talent in the world, but if you don’t have the smarts to handle quick decisions, well. That’s that. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

Pretty much what ^ said.

Grant's potential is slightly more athletic, larger size version of Bivins Caraway or his pops, Quincy Grant.

Now, we get to Tutt. MAYBE not quite HK, but he could be the 2nd best Lobo QB ever when its all said and done. 4* caliber QB for the future.

Good problem to have if you're Longview, but you can only start one. Size isnt an issue with none of these guys, Allen is 6'1 180, Grant is 6'3 dang near 200 and Tutt is 6'0 170.

Decision making
Tutt
Allen
Grant

Arm strength
Grant
Tutt
Allen

Accuracy
Tutt
Grant
Allen

System Knowledge
Allen
Tutt
Grant

Size
Grant
Allen
Tutt

Mechanics
Tutt
Grant 
Allen

Intangibles
Tutt
Allen
Grant

Grant at the bottom of all I see...

31 minutes ago, gtee2 said:

Grant at the bottom of all I see...

At the bottom of decision making because he doesn't quite grasp the system yet which is why hes at the bottom of that as well.

If that changes in the spring, I can definitely see him skipping over Allen because Grant's arm strength, accuracy and mechanics are just superior to his.

Intangibles, there's no wide gap between the three tbh.

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

Pretty much what ^ said.

Decision making
Tutt
Allen
Grant

Arm strength
Grant
Tutt
Allen

Accuracy
Tutt
Grant
Allen

System Knowledge
Allen
Tutt
Grant

Size
Grant
Allen
Tutt

Mechanics
Tutt
Grant 
Allen

Intangibles
Tutt
Allen
Grant

I only disagree with the mechanics when it comes to Grant vs Tutt. There are too many unknowns when it comes to Tutt because I have yet to see him take a varsity snap. Grant, went from having all these preseason accolades, mentions at the Elite 11 camp, etc.

I just don't KNOW what happened but, my guess is the lack and depth of competition he is use to seeing coming from White Oak to Longview. His mechanics are damn near flawless, though. I'd hate to be the one to ultimately make that decision on who to start of the three.

8 hours ago, BuckNut said:

Demographics have changed tremendously at JT that has had a huge impact probably more than coaching.  I totally agree the suburban schools have everything needed to be successful today and there are a lot of them.

Its a factor, but I don't think its the biggest issue at JT

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

At the bottom of decision making because he doesn't quite grasp the system yet which is why hes at the bottom of that as well.

If that changes in the spring, I can definitely see him skipping over Allen because Grant's arm strength, accuracy and mechanics are just superior to his.

Intangibles, there's no wide gap between the three tbh.

I meant Allen not Grant...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

who was the JV qb this past yr when they played Cujo. He looked pretty good to me.

Tutt and Williams both shared time against Cujo. They were brought up that week from the freshman squad. Almost every single score that night was by our freshman team.

9 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

who was the JV qb this past yr when they played Cujo. He looked pretty good to me.

So that week, King actually brought up a lot of the Freshmen A team to sort of even the playing field (since JT's JV had a lot of Freshmen).

Tutt QB'd the JV for most of the night.

18 hours ago, ANTI said:

Pretty much what ^ said.

Decision making
Tutt
Allen
Grant

Arm strength
Grant
Tutt
Allen

Accuracy
Tutt
Grant
Allen

System Knowledge
Allen
Tutt
Grant

Size
Grant
Allen
Tutt

Mechanics
Tutt
Grant 
Allen

Intangibles
Tutt
Allen
Grant

Heck, I'd actually say Tutt may know the system better than Allen because he runs that dive option....or option plays period...better than Allen.