Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

5A Division I Region II Semi-Finals: Longview vs Denton Ryan


Longview Lobos (9-2) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (11-0)  

48 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/26/2020 at 08:00 PM

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, LufkinPack said:

Longview in 2021 might be the Ryan of this year. 

No...

We're losing a lot of defensive firepower....could see nearly 20 sophomores on varsity next year so there will be plenty of youth... BUT we'll be in the hunt as usual.

2022 is a completely different story though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Ryan gets the win. I seriously wonder how Carthage would Match up against both these teams? I know they’re smaller but damn Carthage was really good this year!

Not trying to post too much in your guys thread, I know I’m just a small school fan 😂😂😂. But I don’t have anybody to follow anymore now that Carthage is done. Not ready to be done with HSFB. So the Lo

Posted Images

I was very disappointed that they got away from Hale...I really think we could have kept it closer with better play calling but it is what it is....I am not going to give Jordan Allen a bunch of ####...kid played within his skill set and showed a lot of heart this year...you can wish for better but can’t be mad at a 16 year old who can’t do what you want him to do....

this team outperformed what I thought they would do this year...the defense was stellar and we have some coming back on both sides...

my hope is the best players will play at all positions including QB...we will see...going to be a short offseason for all

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kingwolf said:

I was very disappointed that they got away from Hale...I really think we could have kept it closer with better play calling but it is what it is....I am not going to give Jordan Allen a bunch of ####...kid played within his skill set and showed a lot of heart this year...you can wish for better but can’t be mad at a 16 year old who can’t do what you want him to do....

this team outperformed what I thought they would do this year...the defense was stellar and we have a lot coming back on both sides...

my hope is the best players will play at all positions including QB...we will see...going to be a short offseason for all

Great post

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to give a shout out to out Defensive Coordinator, John Berry today and this season overall. Brother, you done a phenomenal job and I seen the difference in your playcalling from the last time you were here. Keep up the good work.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I mean we humiliated Lufkin yet again, so I don't know why you're here to gloat.

 

How far has your program fallen that you're having to hide behind the #1 team in the state?

How far have we fallen?  Off the cliff and off the radar.  There is little hope of Lufkin being where Longview was today in the near future.  Good year Lobos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Ryan's front seven is very good. 

Very good gap integrity. We knew this before the game and it was one of my main concerns if you go back and read my posts before the game. 

But that's why I couldn't understand the play calling. 

Why go away from Hale? And even if you wanted to run....why not utilize Meredith's strenghts...stretch plays to the outside instead of having him attack the 1 and 2 hole so much. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, PackAttack said:

How far have we fallen?  Off the cliff and off the radar.  There is little hope of Lufkin being where Longview was today in the near future.  Good year Lobos.

Same to Lufkin...really hope Lufkin ISD has courage to make needed changes...way too much talent down there to let it go to waste...if they don’t get a solid coaching staff down there you guys may pass the point of no return...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2020 at 3:21 PM, ANTI said:

HP and Ryan have similar offenses. Not the same to the tee (HP utilizes a lot more crossing routes than DR) but...makeup of their offenses are very similar.

Talents at the QB position, playmakers out wide...you dont worry about the run too much although both are capable of running the ball.

But check this out. I consider HP to have the best OL in all of 5AD1 this year. The Lobo defensive front more than held their own vs HP and everyone that they've faced this year. Lancaster also has a pretty good OL and again, the Lobo DL showed up. I've seen people say that Lancaster's starting OL didn't play the other night but thats completely false. I was there....all of their starters played including the D1 guys. They just couldnt block Longview.

So, when Ryan has the ball....I have to give Longview the edge in the trenches.

Victory for Longview will come down to the answer of these questions which all involve the offense....

Can Longview avoid shooting themselves in the foot offensively? Literally the only reason Longview loss to HP was offensive miscues. Namely, a bunch of false start penalties on promising drives. Even with all of that...Longview had a chance to win it but a late game fumble in HP territory was the nail in the coffin.

Can Longview control the LOS offensively? This is a tremendous Ryan DL. Nasty LBs right behind it. HP I believe may be just as good in the front 7 and both Markevion Haynes and Kaden Meredith had over 100 yards in that matchup. Haynes had 155. If LV can control the LOS, they can control the game.

And finally, can Allen get the ball to Hale? I mentioned it earlier in the year but I havent seen a secondary in 5AD1 that can control Jalen Hale for 48 mins. Not even HP could, he had almost 100 yards in that game and plenty of other oppurtunities. Many of us left that game saying if Longview doesn't have youth at the QB position....its a decisive win in Longview's favor. He may be a sophomore but he certainly doesnt play like one. 

Although that last point wasn't necessarily on Allen, it was on play calling....the answer to all 3 of those questions were NO which is why we ultimately took a L. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

How many players are home grown and actually born in denton I know that #96 transferred in 

3rd different high school he has been to. Ruled ineligible last year and had to play in the jv. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

3rd different high school he has been to. Ruled ineligible last year and had to play in the jv. 

See, he could have went to Guyer or Argyle. It's something we all have to deal with until the UIL gets off their behinds and goes to work for a change.

Case in point Duncanville and North Shore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

How many players are home grown and actually born in denton I know that #96 transferred in 

#9 and #2 are coaches kids, no telling where they were born.....but they've been at Ryan since their freshman year and probably in Denton ISD longer....

The big DT is the only real big transfer I'm aware of 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

See, he could have went to Guyer or Arglyle. It's something we all have to deal with until the UIL gets off their behinds and goes to work for a change.

I'm not sure what you'd like to change....there's loopholes to the rule for sure but w/o getting into the kid's personal life too much his guardian took custody of him legally (with the state) and is a teacher at Ryan HS....it is what it is...

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bclove05 said:

3rd different high school he has been to. Ruled ineligible last year and had to play in the jv. 

I don't really stress out about that stuff but its weird as heck how he was ruled ineligible for Skyline, but eligible for Ryan.

Wonder what the difference was. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ANTI said:

I don't really stress out about that stuff but its weird as heck how he was ruled ineligible for Skyline, but eligible for Ryan.

Wonder what the difference was. 

His paperwork with the state was still being processed is my understanding....since his was still in the eyes of the state under the custody of his mother, he wasn't eligible as his mother still resided in another ISD

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

I'm not sure what you'd like to change....there's loopholes to the rule for sure but w/o getting into the kid's personal life too much his guardian took custody of him legally (with the state) and is a teacher at Ryan HS....it is what it is...

I know there's exception's to the rule. But there's to much recruiting going on in this state. And you know it Matt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sportsfanatic1 said:

I know there's exception's to the rule. But theres to much recruiting going on in this state. And you know it Matt.

Ok, you've identified a problem...whats your solution? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

UIL to get off their tails and investigate. They are some of the laziest people around. That goes for ALL sports.

The UIL can't investigate every single transfer, thats what the DECs are for (local control)...but DECs are made up of school administrators, so do you want your tax dollars going to hire private investigators that work for ISD's to personally go out and investigate every transfer that happens?? I know I dont....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

I'm not sure what you'd like to change....there's loopholes to the rule for sure but w/o getting into the kid's personal life too much his guardian took custody of him legally (with the state) and is a teacher at Ryan HS....it is what it is...

Congrats on getting your pick correct. 

Still think we’re one of the top teams in this Class, even if it did end by 18 points. 

Ah, is what it is. We’ll be back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LoboFan07 said:

Congrats on getting your pick correct. 

Still think we’re one of the top teams in this Class, even if it did end by 18 points. 

Ah, is what it is. We’ll be back.

sometimes I get a few right....just never got the disrespect angle that was being presented....Ryan was simply a better team

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

sometimes I get a few right....just never got the disrespect angle that was being presented....Ryan was simply a better team

Mine was more the 28 points (Diggs pick, not yours) and not having a chance at all.

Dropped interception by Longview that turned into points at the end of the half for Ryan completely changed the game, imo.

Lobos go into half winning instead of down 6, who knows. But ifs ands & buts don’t matter after that second half performance.

You’re right. Ryan is the better team. No doubt about it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

The UIL can't investigate every single transfer, thats what the DECs are for (local control)...but DECs are made up of school administrators, so do you want your tax dollars going to hire private investigators that work for ISD's to personally go out and investigate every transfer that happens?? I know I dont....

Your right. I say get with the program if your a coach. "If you can't beat them join them!"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...