Jump to content
The Smoakhouse Forums

5A Division I Region II Semi-Finals: Longview vs Denton Ryan


Longview Lobos (9-2) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (11-0)  

48 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/26/2020 at 08:00 PM

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think Ryan gets the win. I seriously wonder how Carthage would Match up against both these teams? I know they’re smaller but damn Carthage was really good this year!

Not trying to post too much in your guys thread, I know I’m just a small school fan 😂😂😂. But I don’t have anybody to follow anymore now that Carthage is done. Not ready to be done with HSFB. So the Lo

Posted Images

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Traylor made HC in about 4 years.  

Because he was interested in moving up the ranks. Some coaches like where they are. You don't think Hank Carter at LT could be in college coaching? Mathis did it and won nothing at Desoto.

You got a lot to learn.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Quick said:

We have certain sectors of our fanbase that don't want you critiquing John King no matter if they wholeheartedly believe in everything you're saying. 

We all critique King. I've been very vocal about play calling, personnel usage and clock management over the years. Nothing wrong with criquing a coach and no one, not even Surratt, is above critiquing. No coach is perfect.

Now....the conversation of wanting to fire someone who is 188-39 (94-7) with 3 state appearances and a state ring in the highest classification is sign of pure dimentia or some sort of mental illness. Its the Dallas Mavs firing Avery Johnson back in 07, is Desoto running Peterman out the door....or the Navasota situation with Fedora...its assinine. 

How many other none suburban 5A/6A programs have that resume the past 17 seasons. ZERO and its not even close. 

 

 

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Quick said:

Oh well, l got my worthless @** Dallas Cowboys left, I have no idea what my Dallas Mavericks are going to do but Mark Cuban needs to seriously reconsider Rick Carlisle's future as the head coach, I am not a hockey fan by no stretch but, the Dallas Stars is my hockey team and I am rooting for them to make it back to the Stanley Cup after falling just short last year. My Texas Rangers......... I just...... I'm not about to get started on them. They definitely didn't deserve a new stadium.

And, my Oklahoma Sooners. Unlike Skip Bayless, I am not too fond of Riley Dodge these days. It's personal and has more to do with his disrespect of East Texas talent and not wanting to recruit here. I personally think it's childish in a sense where he still looks at it as a West Texas vs East Texas deal considering he's from Muleshoe, (Middle of Nowhere) Texas. Anyway, long offseason...... 🤬Uuugggggghhhh!!!!!!!

Riley Dodge is the HC at SLC, I’m assuming you aren’t a fan of Lincoln Riley? 😂😂👌🏽 And the Cowboys are gonna mess around and get in the playoffs at 7-9 and I concur Rangers...😴😴

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Has king turned down HC jobs?  That’s what I meant

Yes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Because he was interested in moving up the ranks. Some coaches like where they are. You don't think Hank Carter at LT could be in college coaching? Mathis did it and won nothing at Desoto.

You got a lot to learn.

Dont kid yourself. Mathis getting the College gig had nothing to do with his Coaching ability, but his ability to help with recruiting in south Dallas County. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I know this may sound really stupid but if they don't let Tutt start in the summer 7 on 7, then I hope LV runs two teams so he can get some reps...bad feeling we won't see him get a shot

Completely agree.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, randomuser said:

Riley Dodge is the HC at SLC, I’m assuming you aren’t a fan of Lincoln Riley? 😂😂👌🏽 And the Cowboys are gonna mess around and get in the playoffs at 7-9 and I concur Rangers...😴😴

My bad, LOL! Yes. Lincoln Riley. Damn, "smart phone" removes what you put in and replaces it with a name you've typed in previous discussions. Smdh....

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

To anyone who don't like King, you should have lived through the late 70s, 80, and 90s.  It was a huge season if we made the third round.  FACT Most of the time it was one or two and done.  GO LOBOS the future is bright.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, ANTI said:

This dude thinks he knows every damn thing...

King could've easily been in the college ranks. He has the connections and even coached in a few of those national all star games the past few years (OL coach in Under Armour All American game last year, DL coach in Army All American game a few years back etc). Even Mathis from Desoto coached in college....but apparently King aint worthy.

 

But he loves coaching them tough longview kids 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

But he loves coaching them tough longview kids 

My impression of King is that he truly loves what he does. Every aspect. Whether it's developing players from 7-12 and helping them get to the next level, or finding ways to upgrade the facilities and athletic dept. staff: dude loves to come to work every day.

Could he move on to another high school or college program? Of course. I'm sure he could go back to his hometown of Springhill, La. and make them a powerhouse in short order. Or perhaps even take over his alma mater Northwestern State and make a run at the Southland Conference. 

But home is where the heart is, and I'd wager that King can't think of anything he'd rather do more than spending an entire career coaching those tough-ass Longview kids. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LOL said:

My impression of King is that he truly loves what he does. Every aspect. Whether it's developing players from 7-12 and helping them get to the next level, or finding ways to upgrade the facilities and athletic dept. staff: dude loves to come to work every day.

Could he move on to another high school or college program? Of course. I'm sure he could go back to his hometown of Springhill, La. and make them a powerhouse in short order. Or perhaps even take over his alma mater Northwestern State and make a run at the Southland Conference. 

But home is where the heart is, and I'd wager that King can't think of anything he'd rather do more than spending an entire career coaching those tough- Longview kids. 

Completely agree at this point.

If King was going to leave Longview, it was back in 2006 when Henderson almost nabbed him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 85lobooldschool said:

To anyone who don't like King, you should have lived through the late 70s, 80, and 90s.  It was a huge season if we made the third round.  FACT Most of the time it was one or two and done.  GO LOBOS the future is bright.

78-79, and 98-99 were awful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WolverBean said:

I probably spit balling but haven't Carthage had year of missing playoffs under current coach? Jsing King has made playoffs all 17 years how many current coaches can say that? 

Wrong.

2007: 2nd round loss to state champ liberty hill.

2008-2010:  State champs

2011: 3rd round loss to Argyle.

2012: semifinal loss to el campo.

2013: State champs.

2014:  2nd round loss to el campo.  (Worst season of Surratt era.)

2015: semifinal loss to state champ la vega.

2016-2017:  State champs.

2018: semifinal loss to liberty hill.

2019-2020: State champs.

8 titles in 14 years. 'Nuff said.

Still rooting for the Lobos to get another ship though.  No ill-will from this old Dawg.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, kingwolf said:

I know this may sound really stupid but if they don't let Tutt start in the summer 7 on 7, then I hope LV runs two teams so he can get some reps...bad feeling we won't see him get a shot

Let’s hope there is 7on7

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DAWG91 said:

Wrong.

2007: 2nd round loss to state champ liberty hill.

2008-2010:  State champs

2011: 3rd round loss to Argyle.

2012: semifinal loss to el campo.

2013: State champs.

2014:  2nd round loss to el campo.  (Worst season of Surratt era.)

2015: semifinal loss to state champ la vega.

2016-2017:  State champs.

2018: semifinal loss to liberty hill.

2019-2020: State champs.

8 titles in 14 years. 'Nuff said.

Still rooting for the Lobos to get another ship though.  No ill-will from this old Dawg.

eh i figured lol i don't really keep up with 4 and below tbh

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...