☁️Cotton Bowl ☁️ Oklahoma vs Florida

Stoney

Oklahoma vs Florida  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Sooners
    • Gators

11 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Will teams start to opt out of bowl games if a large amount of players or significant players start to opt out more often?

I can see that, especially if the Florida debacle looks like a trend. I’m sure at this point Mullen wishes they had opted out as a team. 

9 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I can see that, especially if the Florida debacle looks like a trend. I’m sure at this point Mullen wishes they had opted out as a team. 

Additionally, I believe that some will start to opt out once the team is mathematically eliminated from any conference or national titles provided the player already is slated to be drafted.

11 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Will teams start to opt out of bowl games if a large amount of players or significant players start to opt out more often?

I don't think so. The extra practice time and game reps for the underclassmen returning are too valuable. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Additionally, I believe that some will start to opt out once the team is mathematically eliminated from any conference or national titles provided the player already is slated to be drafted.

“Business decisions”. Someone floated the idea of incentivizing the bowl games for the players. I think that’s an idea that warrants some discussion. Instead of all of the bowl revenue going to the schools, allow the players to share in it. Now, granted, anything the bowl system is capable of offering is going to be small potatoes compared to what a first round pick gets, but it might reduce the number of opt-outs, especially by the ones who aren’t guaranteed first rounders. 

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

“Business decisions”. Someone floated the idea of incentivizing the bowl games for the players. I think that’s an idea that warrants some discussion. Instead of all of the bowl revenue going to the schools, allow the players to share in it. Now, granted, anything the bowl system is capable of offering is going to be small potatoes compared to what a first round pick gets, but it might reduce the number of opt-outs, especially by the ones who aren’t guaranteed first rounders. 

This is a good point. Players get all kinds of gifts and handouts at bowl games. Why not just give them cash or a stipend instead? I figure most kids turn around and sell those bowl gifts anyway...