Big12 Expansion.....it’s time

DB2point0

A couple years ago I made the statement about Arkansas joining the Big12.  A buddy of mine that’s privy to info within the Arkansas program said the Big12 was pushing hard for them to join and rekindle the old SWC rivalries.  Evidently Arkansas is content with being a bottom dweller as is evidenced by their hiring a position coach to be their HC. 

the big 12 is lacking, there are some good teams no doubt, but the conference has killed itself the last few years from crown “two true champions” to creating a championship game from a round robin format.  Wetsu thinks the conference needs to dissolve, but I disagree.  If a conference needs to dissolve it’s the pac12.  The California legislation is gonna kill them IMO and now is the time to poach.  

West Virginia is the step child in the matter.  They’re a geographical anomaly for the Big12.  Expanding that direction doesn’t give you opportunity to get good programs with good Tv markets.  West it is then.  I think the Arizona schools could be coaxed pretty easily into joining.  The only problem there is the distance to the rest.  Here’s my  thoughts

add 

Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, BYU even if football only), Colorado, and Boise State.  If West Virginia gets upset about travel let them walk.  Then you add either New Mexico, Colorado State or Wyoming just to round it out to 16 teams.  The conference already owns the name rights of Big14 and Big16 I believe

The Big 12 started is slow death the day that they decided to take TCU and not Louisville. 

TCU was another team in the market they already controlled and they gained nothing from them. 

Not only was Louisville in a new market. Louisville joined the ACC after being turned down by the Big 12 which stabilized the ACC. People forget that the ACC was on the brink of destruction. The Big 12 could have poached schools like North Carolina and Clemson. 

3 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The Big 12 started is slow death the day that they decided to take TCU and not Louisville. 

TCU was another team in the market they already controlled and they gained nothing from them. 

Not only was Louisville in a new market. Louisville joined the ACC after being turned down by the Big 12 which stabilized the ACC. People forget that the ACC was on the brink of destruction. The Big 12 could have poached schools like North Carolina and Clemson. 

The big 12 tried for Clemson and Florida state but they decided to keep the ACC together.  That is what the Big12 needs to do.  

22 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

A couple years ago I made the statement about Arkansas joining the Big12.  A buddy of mine that’s privy to info within the Arkansas program said the Big12 was pushing hard for them to join and rekindle the old SWC rivalries.  Evidently Arkansas is content with being a bottom dweller as is evidenced by their hiring a position coach to be their HC. 

the big 12 is lacking, there are some good teams no doubt, but the conference has killed itself the last few years from crown “two true champions” to creating a championship game from a round robin format.  Wetsu thinks the conference needs to dissolve, but I disagree.  If a conference needs to dissolve it’s the pac12.  The California legislation is gonna kill them IMO and now is the time to poach.  

West Virginia is the step child in the matter.  They’re a geographical anomaly for the Big12.  Expanding that direction doesn’t give you opportunity to get good programs with good Tv markets.  West it is then.  I think the Arizona schools could be coaxed pretty easily into joining.  The only problem there is the distance to the rest.  Here’s my  thoughts

add 

Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, BYU even if football only), Colorado, and Boise State.  If West Virginia gets upset about travel let them walk.  Then you add either New Mexico, Colorado State or Wyoming just to round it out to 16 teams.  The conference already owns the name rights of Big14 and Big16 I believe

I’d love to have the AZ schools and BYU and Utah are also rivals and would add to the conference’s bench strength in football. I’d like to be able to just tell WVU to go find another conference, because they just don’t make sense for us and replace them with Colorado. 

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

The only hope for the Big 12 in my opinion is dissatisfaction from some PAC 12 schools. If you could get Arizona State and maybe a Utah or something then sure go ahead and expand. 

There is no point in expanding for places like Houston or SMU.

Did you read who I said to get?

West
Arizona, ASU, Boise State, BYU, Utah, Colorado, Colorado State, KSU

East
BU, TCU, OU, OSU, UT, ISU, TTU, KU

On 12/20/2020 at 9:36 PM, Valhalla said:

The only hope for the Big 12 in my opinion is dissatisfaction from some PAC 12 schools. If you could get Arizona State and maybe a Utah or something then sure go ahead and expand. 

Agree. 

38 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

If ever there was a season to sow some dissension in the ranks this would be the one. The PAC12 is sliding into irrelevance. Late start to games have been switched to early starts to try and gain an audience. Your conference champion was a fill in replacement. Moving east is your only shot if you’re a school not named USC or Oregon.

The pac, however poorly run, is very good in other sports and is 60 years old. They aren't folding to join the big 12 IMO. 

Here's the thing about the big 12 expansion. They aren't enough of a draw at the moment for anyone to leave their already established conference. So you're stuck robbing mid majors and independents. The big 12 isn't going to take the step to being "safe" until they rob a big name or two to join them and that's not happening because they aren't "safe." 

Let's be honest, the big 12 is in the same place the swc was. They needed OU Nebraska and Colorado. Here we are 25 years later and you're down those two plus A&M. The big 12 is possibly weaker now than the SWC was when it folded.

But to be honest, why would OU and Texas want it any other way. You two out recruit the conference by laughable margins. You call all the shots and have a clear path to the playoff every year. I mean truly both of roads OU and Texas go down couldn't be any easier. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

The pac, however poorly run, is very good in other sports and is 60 years old. They aren't folding to join the big 12 IMO. 

Here's the thing about the big 12 expansion. They aren't enough of a draw at the moment for anyone to leave their already established conference. So you're stuck robbing mid majors and independents. The big 12 isn't going to take the step to being "safe" until they rob a big name or two to join them and that's not happening because they aren't "safe." 

Let's be honest, the big 12 is in the same place the swc was. They needed OU Nebraska and Colorado. Here we are 25 years later and you're down those two plus A&M. The big 12 is possibly weaker now than the SWC was when it folded.

But to be honest, why would OU and Texas want it any other way. You two out recruit the conference by laughable margins. You call all the shots and have a clear path to the playoff every year. I mean truly both of roads OU and Texas go down couldn't be any easier. 

You may be right, but you may be wrong too. 

The PAC is poorly run most likely, because it’s run by libs. The conference going along with liberal ideologies and shutting down athletics hurts the universities pocketbooks.  Were schools to join the Big 12 they’d have more confidence in not having to stop football (and other sports) activities. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

When they get sick of the state of California governing their conference the Arizona schools will leave.  You might even see some others leave too.  The Rose Bowl is being played in Texas.  They won’t even let a small amount of fans cone to games.  

On 12/21/2020 at 6:57 AM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

You may be right, but you may be wrong too. 

The PAC is poorly run most likely, because it’s run by libs. The conference going along with liberal ideologies and shutting down athletics hurts the universities pocketbooks.  Were schools to join the Big 12 they’d have more confidence in not having to stop football (and other sports) activities. 

Yea I mean I could be wrong. I do see your points. And it wouldn't completely shock me to see the Arizona schools leave, but we will have to see. 

On 12/21/2020 at 8:10 AM, DB2point0 said:

When they get sick of the state of California governing their conference the Arizona schools will leave.  You might even see some others leave too.  The Rose Bowl is being played in Texas.  They won’t even let a small amount of fans cone to games.  

That's everywhere this year acting a fool over the Chinese cold. Cali is handling it extreme but they will get a pass from Arizona. Now if the 2021 season ends up being limited it will start turning heads. 

Just now, WETSU said:

That's everywhere this year acting a fool over the Chinese cold. Cali is handling it extreme but they will get a pass from Arizona. Now if the 2021 season ends up being limited it will start turning heads. 

It will be much of the same I believe

On 12/21/2020 at 8:25 AM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

That would be by far the best get. UCf and Cincinnati would be a close second. 

No they wouldn’t.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:26 AM, Valhalla said:

Everyone is acting like the Arizona Schools are some great prize.

Neither of those schools are football schools. Yeah, I would like the potential of Arizona State, but I'm not sure Arizona is worth taking.

Quit thinking of just football. And you likely won’t get one without the other. Just like Oklahoma can’t leave without taking OSU with you.

On 12/21/2020 at 8:26 AM, Valhalla said:

Everyone is acting like the Arizona Schools are some great prize.

Neither of those schools are football schools. Yeah, I would like the potential of Arizona State, but I'm not sure Arizona is worth taking.

I was thinking that... Do either of those schools move the needle? 

On 12/21/2020 at 8:29 AM, DB2point0 said:

Quit thinking of just football. And you likely won’t get one without the other. Just like Oklahoma can’t leave without taking OSU with you.

Football is the only issue with the big 12 though. They are solid in everything else, but football is what rules these conferences unless you're the acc and were willing to throw away football reputation for academics and basketball.

2 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I was thinking that... Do either of those schools move the needle? 

I think taking one of them does, but I don't believe you need both. 

Taking both just muddies up the water in Arizona. Treat like the SEC does and try to only have one in state team. If they SEC could back in time they would drop Vandy and MSU. Auburn would be the only "second" in state team they would keep.

Just now, Valhalla said:

I think taking one of them does, but I don't believe you need both. 

Taking both just muddies up the water in Arizona. Treat like the SEC does and try to only have one in state team. If they SEC could back in time they would drop Vandy and MSU. Auburn would be the only "second" in state team they would keep.

They need vandy for the academics. Somebody has to help prop up lsu and bama lol

But completely agree on miss st. They would drop them for OU or even UNC in a heartbeat. 

Just now, DB2point0 said:

I understand that.  But you also have to give and take too.  You’re not getting one without the other.  

It depends on how bad one wants to get away. 

I'm not going to pretend to know the dynamic between the two Arizona Schools, but I would imagine that the same thought was once attached to Texas/Texas A&M and look where they are now.