Heisman Finalists

Stoney

18 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Smith should win even though it will probably be Trask or Jones.

Smith would be mine. Dynamic player. 98 catches. 1,511 yards receiving. 17 receiving TDs, 1 rushing TD, 1 return TD.

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

And Kyle Pitts should be #2 after Smith.

A couple of things probably played a role in Pitts not getting serious consideration: 1. He missed a couple of games due to injury. I think the LSU game proved just how valuable he is, but the award is based on what a player does on the field, not what his team does without him. 2. I don’t think a player is going to get serious consideration for an award like that when everyone knows he’s already played his last college game. 

Mac Jones is not the best player in America.  Not even close.  There are far more talented players on his team. This is the award for best player in the country and he isn’t the best on his team.  Lawrence is twice the qb and will have the better nfl career as well.  Lawrence should walk away with this award with smith a distance second.  Trask is similar to the Tech qbs under Leach.  Big passing numbers due to the offensive system they used.  Mac Jones shouldn’t even be listed, but he’ll probably win it.  The Heisman award isn’t what it’s supposed to represent most years.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Mac Jones is not the best player in America.  Not even close.  There are far more talented players on his team. This is the award for best player in the country and he isn’t the best on his team.  Lawrence is twice the qb and will have the better nfl career as well.  Lawrence should walk away with this award with smith a distance second.  Trask is similar to the Tech qbs under Leach.  Big passing numbers due to the offensive system they used.  Mac Jones shouldn’t even be listed, but he’ll probably win it.  The Heisman award isn’t what it’s supposed to represent most years.

I agree on Jones, disagree on Lawrence/ Smith. Yes, Lawrence is by far a better QB than Jones. There’s an argument to be made that he could be the best college QB to ever play the game. But Smith has been electric to watch. Lawrence never really had that “Heisman moment” like the Johnny Manzeil upset in Tuscaloosa, or the Doug Flutie Hail Mary in Miami. If you’re going to win the Heisman without those moments, you need to put up numbers that just blow the competition away, and Lawrence doesn’t have those numbers. Yes, he played less games, but he still trails Jones in passing efficiency and yards per game. I know it’s not his fault that he missed those games, but Smith has been a human highlight reel through 11 games. Since it’s #2020 and nothing is normal, give the Heisman to a WR for the first time since 1991. 

4 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I agree on Jones, disagree on Lawrence/ Smith. Yes, Lawrence is by far a better QB than Jones. There’s an argument to be made that he could be the best college QB to ever play the game. But Smith has been electric to watch. Lawrence never really had that “Heisman moment” like the Johnny Manzeil upset in Tuscaloosa, or the Doug Flutie Hail Mary in Miami. If you’re going to win the Heisman without those moments, you need to put up numbers that just blow the competition away, and Lawrence doesn’t have those numbers. Yes, he played less games, but he still trails Jones in passing efficiency and yards per game. I know it’s not his fault that he missed those games, but Smith has been a human highlight reel through 11 games. Since it’s #2020 and nothing is normal, give the Heisman to a WR for the first time since 1991. 

You don’t have to have a Heisman moment when your play is just that good.

20 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

You don’t have to have a Heisman moment when your play is just that good.

I agree, but I haven’t seen enough of Lawrence this year to say that his play has been better than Smith. Smith has had big game after big game all year, and made multiple draw-dropping plays. If Smith doesn’t get it, they should declare it a “QB of the year award” and be done with it. 

44 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I agree, but I haven’t seen enough of Lawrence this year to say that his play has been better than Smith. Smith has had big game after big game all year, and made multiple draw-dropping plays. If Smith doesn’t get it, they should declare it a “QB of the year award” and be done with it. 

Good thing you don’t have a Heisman vote.  You prolly watch Bama, then rewind it and watch it all day over and over 

Just now, trueblue82 said:

Funny. Were you able to renew subscription to the Longhorn Network yet? 

I watched 3 longhorn games this year. Dish cancelled Fox, but didn’t give me a refund.  I prolly would’ve been frustrated though.  I was implying you should watch more football than just Bama.  Lawrence is obviously the best qb in the country hands down.  Even if he played less games.  

19 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Lawrence and Jones split votes to open the door for Smith - who in my opinion is the best choice anyway. When Waddle went down, Smith's YPC went up.

You have to think that the 3 Alabama guys in top 5 will draw votes away from each other somewhat.

That is what typically happens when teammates are that close together.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I watched 3 longhorn games this year. Dish cancelled Fox, but didn’t give me a refund.  I prolly would’ve been frustrated though.  I was implying you should watch more football than just Bama.  Lawrence is obviously the best qb in the country hands down.  Even if he played less games.  

Yeah dish customers are kinda taking it up the wazoo. I just got windstream’s new high speed Internet and I’m getting espn and all the local channels for about $70/ month on something called a ROKu. You can also stream movies and entire seasons of TV shows. By canceling direct TV and the satellite Internet service we were using, I’m saving about $200/ month. And I do watch more football than just BAMA. If I’m not busy on Saturday, I’ll flip channels all day looking for decent games. I haven’t watched much Clemson because the only blowouts I’ll watch are BAMA games. And Clemson blows out everyone in the ACC, so all I see of them is highlights. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

Yeah dish customers are kinda taking it up the wazoo. I just got windstream’s new high speed Internet and I’m getting espn and all the local channels for about $70/ month on something called a ROKu. You can also stream movies and entire seasons of TV shows. By canceling direct TV and the satellite Internet service we were using, I’m saving about $200/ month. And I do watch more football than just BAMA. If I’m not busy on Saturday, I’ll flip channels all day looking for decent games. I haven’t watched much Clemson because the only blowouts I’ll watch are BAMA games. And Clemson blows out everyone in the ACC, so all I see of them is highlights. 

Yea, I’m looking to make a change

13 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Take Mac Jones off his team.  The backup can manage their games.  Take Lawrence off their team and they’re crippled.  That’s how you tell who the better player is.  Some nfl team will draft Jones and realize he’s the second coming of Greg McElroy or AJ McCarron.  He’s not a great qb, but he WILL be your Heisman winner.  

34 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Take Mac Jones off his team.  The backup can manage their games.  Take Lawrence off their team and they’re crippled.  That’s how you tell who the better player is.  Some nfl team will draft Jones and realize he’s the second coming of Greg McElroy or AJ McCarron.  He’s not a great qb, but he WILL be your Heisman winner.  

I don’t doubt that a bit. I’m comparing Lawrence to Devonta Smith. He’s the guy who deserves the Heisman. 

• Like 1