A Cheerleader’s Vulgar Message Prompts a First Amendment Showdown

Monte1076

I tell kids regularly that their Internet 'footprint' can hurt them, and this is definitely sad proof of that. Policing all speech online shouldn't be a school district's job, but every school district I know has some kind of policy about representation of the school in a direct fashion, ex: doing a keg stand in a uniform. As a rule, my current HS looks at the location of the post, and if it isn't at school, and it isn't bullying, then we don't look at it for discipline. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

The internet in general and social media in particular are the worst things that have ever happened to young people.

I'd even expand that to include everyone. IMO, the world would not be in the situation it's in today if not for the internet.

1 hour ago, Vandalman said:

I'd even expand that to include everyone. IMO, the world would not be in the situation it's in today if not for the internet.

I wouldn't say the Internet as a whole. I've learned many wonderful and useful things from the Internet. It's social media that seems to be the biggest problem.

I have to agree with @BarryLaverty . If it isn't on school grounds, at a school function, or bullying of another kid at the school, it's none of the school's business.  

That being said, i also agree it is fair game to future colleges and employers to see what kind of decision making ability and character you possess.  Like it or not, one tweet or snapchat may be all someone sees of you.  I tell my kids all the time to be very careful about what they post.  If you wouldn't say it to your grandmother face to face, don't put it on the internet.  In today's cancel culture, what you tweet at 15 could come back to haunt you at 30.

41 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

I wouldn't say the Internet as a whole. I've learned many wonderful and useful things from the Internet. It's social media that seems to be the biggest problem.

Overall I agree. I find it useful and I'd really miss Amazon but there's still a big part of me that thinks we'd be a lot better off if Al Gore had never invented it...

3 minutes ago, TheShadowKnows said:

Using a curse word four times, the student expressed her dissatisfaction with “school,” “softball,” “cheer” and “everything.”

Sometimes I use a curse word to describe my job when I'm with my buddies.  Should my company fire me?

29 minutes ago, TheShadowKnows said:

Using a curse word four times, the student expressed her dissatisfaction with “school,” “softball,” “cheer” and “everything.”

A buddy of mine recently interviewed (via Zoom or similar tech) for a job, where one of the interviewers was actually dropping curse words during the interview...

31 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

Sometimes I use a curse word to describe my job when I'm with my buddies.  Should my company fire me?

Comparing apples to oranges 

at your job you provide a service, as a cheerleader, she May provide a service, but overall the services are being provided for her, thus extra-circular 

3 hours ago, JBizzle said:

I have to agree with @BarryLaverty . If it isn't on school grounds, at a school function, or bullying of another kid at the school, it's none of the school's business.  

That being said, i also agree it is fair game to future colleges and employers to see what kind of decision making ability and character you possess.  Like it or not, one tweet or snapchat may be all someone sees of you.  I tell my kids all the time to be very careful about what they post.  If you wouldn't say it to your grandmother face to face, don't put it on the internet.  In today's cancel culture, what you tweet at 15 could come back to haunt you at 30.

I don't care if it's bullying another kid off school grounds that's not the school's responsibility.  That would then become a police matter if it escalates to violence.  I think what you do on your own private time should never be controlled by a school district if you're a student and even college wise or your employer.  Once your off the clock or off school grounds then if it's bad enough to be criminal then the police are the one's that should handle it.  I think both schools and employers have taken their authority to another level.  For anyone under 18, and it's serious enough not to be handled by the police it should be handled by the parents.  I realize many parents don't want to be parents and rarely discipline their children these days.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheShadowKnows said:

I  would bet there was a certain four letter word that preceded those other four words.  I had that word used more in school than I did outside of school including in the movies.  The only class I ever heard it in was athletics, but coaches never disciplined anyone over it.  

1 hour ago, DaveTV1 said:

I  would bet there was a certain four letter word that preceded those other four words.  I had that word used more in school than I did outside of school including in the movies.  The only class I ever heard it in was athletics, but coaches never disciplined anyone over it.  

It’s in the hallways, sometimes in the classroom