Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

My first desire for addition by subtraction is actually that Sam decides to move on.

After the first couple of losses this season I would’ve said my first choice would be for Herman to be relieved of his duties as HC. However, as the season progressed and Sam regressed and after seeing both Thompson and Card in the Alamo Bowl I’d like to have a fresh face at QB even before a fresh face on the sidelines. Plus, a new starting QB costs zero dollars, while a new HC and staff would cost $25M to fire them and then you have to pay a new staff too. 

With that being said, if the BMD’s want to do it and CDC finds the right HC, heck yes, let’s get a new coaching staff and a new QB!

23 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

My first desire for addition by subtraction is actually that Sam decides to move on.

After the first couple of losses this season I would’ve said my first choice would be for Herman to be relieved of his duties as HC. However, as the season progressed and Sam regressed and after seeing both Thompson and Card in the Alamo Bowl I’d like to have a fresh face at QB even before a fresh face on the sidelines. Plus, a new starting QB costs zero dollars, while a new HC and staff would cost $25M to fire them and then you have to pay a new staff too. 

With that being said, if the BMD’s want to do it and CDC finds the right HC, heck yes, let’s get a new coaching staff and a new QB!

The problem with your desire to just see a new QB and not necessarily a new coach is that the QB’s were already there, along with a great RB, that Herman failed to use or to use properly. With Herman staying there is nothing to indicate that he would suddenly become a better coach. There is a history with Herman of having a lack of player development, poor in-game decisions, questionable player participation, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Hookemhorns88 said:

The problem with your desire to just see a new QB and not necessarily a new coach is that the QB’s were already there, along with a great RB, that Herman failed to use or to use properly. With Herman staying there is nothing to indicate that he would suddenly become a better coach. There is a history with Herman of having a lack of player development, poor in-game decisions, questionable player participation, etc.

I totally agree with you, I do want a new HC very badly.

At the same time, I’d think if it costs so much money to rid ourselves of Herman we may not be willing to pay what’s required to get the best HC available. I don’t want to get rid of Herman only for UT to feel like they have to settle for another subpar HC.

And that may not happen. You’d hope if they’re willing to pay out the nose to run Herman off they’d be willing to pay to get the right coach in there to replace him.

25 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Not trolling but I assume he more of a project late round kinda of pick?

UFA.  He’s listed as the 12th best qb in the draft eligible classes.  Now he supposedly has a shoulder injury.  Are there enough nfl teams looking for qb’s to take him?

• Thanks 1

I think Herman is gone. His blowout wins vs inferior opponents (Kstate, Colorado) just show what should’ve been happening all year. 

I love Sam and he gave Texas much needed stability at QB after years of wandering through a QB drought. I never thought he would return for another season. Good luck to him. 

Herman has rebuilt the roster with much better talent than he had when he arrived. The next coach needs to have more games like the last two. Close wins vs Tech or WVU and close losses to teams like TCU need to leave with Herman. 

I don’t believe  it is Urban although I’d love to be wrong.

I’d be happiest with Kelly, because I think he would come in a get Texas back to winning 10 games a year and. Can be win the biggest games...that’s his question mark.

I’d be ok with Sarkisian as long as he hired well at DC and he’s been vetted in a legit interview process. 

I think Mullen is going to the NFL.

I think Campbell and Kubiak are down the list. 

34 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

I think Herman is gone. His blowout wins vs inferior opponents (Kstate, Colorado) just show what should’ve been happening all year. 

I love Sam and he gave Texas much needed stability at QB after years of wandering through a QB drought. I never thought he would return for another season. Good luck to him. 

Herman has rebuilt the roster with much better talent than he had when he arrived. The next coach needs to have more games like the last two. Close wins vs Tech or WVU and close losses to teams like TCU need to leave with Herman. 

I don’t believe  it is Urban although I’d love to be wrong.

I’d be happiest with Kelly, because I think he would come in a get Texas back to winning 10 games a year and. Can be win the biggest games...that’s his question mark.

I’d be ok with Sarkisian as long as he hired well at DC and he’s been vetted in a legit interview process. 

I think Mullen is going to the NFL.

I think Campbell and Kubiak are down the list. 

Hugh Freeze beats everybody you listed

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Until Herman is fired neither do any you listed, but why wouldn’t he be considered?

Herman will be fired once the new coach has already agreed to be the next coach. 

I don’t know why Freeze isn’t being considered but his name isn’t coming up at all. 

5 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Herman will be fired once the new coach has already agreed to be the next coach. 

I don’t know why Freeze isn’t being considered but his name isn’t coming up at all. 

Nobody knows.  Names “coming up” are pure speculation 

Why do people keep bringing up Hugh Freeze? Because he had a successful year at Liberty? So are we back to looking for small school coaches again? 
Freeze had 1 double digit win season at Ole Miss, and followed that with a 5 win season. 
Someone help me, because I’m failing to see the appeal here. 

12 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Why do people keep bringing up Hugh Freeze? Because he had a successful year at Liberty? So are we back to looking for small school coaches again? 
Freeze had 1 double digit win season at Ole Miss, and followed that with a 5 win season. 

Not sure either unless it is people simply repeating what they hear and do not have an original idea or reason why he should be considered.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

Why Brian Kelly?  He can’t seem to win big games.  Why sark?  A drinker that is a 60% winner.  

19 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Not sure either unless it is people simply repeating what they hear and do not have an original idea or reason why he should be considered.

I’ve heard Brian Kelly, Hugh freeze, sark, Luke fickell, and many others.  Urban Meyer has already agreed to a deal for 5 years at $12M per year, then he said no.  Nobody knows anything.  Regardless of which website is saying it, Inside Texas included

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

He beat Saban twice. That is accomplishment.

Not trying to stir the pot. Well, maybe just a little to ask question. Why would Brian Kelly leave Notre Dame for Texas? At his age (60), Notre Dame seems to be the better fit for him. He’s got a playoff team. Independent schedule. Recruiting is good. To me, that would be awfully tough to leave.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Why Brian Kelly?  He can’t seem to win big games.  Why sark?  A drinker that is a 60% winner.  

Could Sark handle the pressures of a big time program with his demons? I don’t think UT can afford to roll the dice on finding out and wind up with snake eyes. 

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I'm not in favor of Sark either. As for Kelly, he's had a lot of success at a major program, taking them to two CFP's, and a NC appearance. He also had a lot of success at Cincinnati. So why Kelly? Because a successful coach from a major college is what most have agreed Texas should target. The real question is, why would he consider it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

I'm not in favor of Sark either. As for Kelly, he's had a lot of success at a major program, taking them to two CFP's, and a NC appearance. He also had a lot of success at Cincinnati. So why Kelly? Because a successful coach from a major college is what most have agreed Texas should target. The real question is, why would he consider it?

I think he’d take a job like Texas because he knows he can’t get the athletes he needs to compete for a National Championship at Notre Dame. 

EDCE508D-B579-4430-AA1A-76D4498900DC.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

He is 0-7 in big games being out scored by 161 pts.  ND doesn’t typically play a real tough schedule either, aside from this year.  All the big names they play have been down.  I think he’s a good coach, just that there are better.  Hiring him should mean you got told no by others you really wanted

• Mr. P locked this topic