Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

40 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The guy has only been at Alabama for two seasons, and Alabama recruits itself. He isn't going to magically fix the Texas offensive line. 

tenor.gif

Dude! Be cool!

We need expectations waaaaaaaay up there. It's more fun that way. 

Frankly, I think Flood is gonna have UT's line fixed completely in year one. Same with Sark and the offense.

There's not a reason in the world to expect anything less than Alabama-level offensive production right away. 

Casey Thompson will be a Heisman candidate by year's end. 

• LOL! 1

33 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

The guy has only been at Alabama for two seasons, and Alabama recruits itself. He isn't going to magically fix the Texas offensive line. 

Did you see what Herb Hand? 

I like the hire because he’s been with Sark for a few years. He knows the offense and that should help the players pick up the offense quicker. 

45 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I guess the point needs to be clarified is yes, Alabama recruits itself, but the talent still needs to be coached to the Alabama system.  The point that the OL performance has not dropped off is that Flood, despite being there only 2 years, probably indicates that he is at least equal to or better than the previous OL coaches at Alabama.  This does not mean that magically the offense will be humming along just like Alabama, but the probability that it will be better than under Herman is certainly something to be expected and considered as a possibility.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I guess the point needs to be clarified is yes, Alabama recruits itself, but the talent still needs to be coached to the Alabama system.  The point that the OL performance has not dropped off is that Flood, despite being there only 2 years, probably indicates that he is at least equal to or better than the previous OL coaches at Alabama.  This does not mean that magically the offense will be humming along just like Alabama, but the probability that it will be better than under Herman is certainly something to be expected and considered as a possibility.

Credit where it's deserved, y'all are pretty reasonable UT fans, and seldom caught up in the crazy. 

But they wildin' on Twitter.  ;) 

I'm not knocking Flood. I have seen the rebuilding of an Offensive line group happen at Oklahoma.

After 2012, Oklahoma hired Bedenbaugh who now considered one of if not the best O-line coach in the country. Oklahoma's offensive line was in much better shape and it had not been bad for a whole decade like the Texas Offensive line has been. It took three seasons before you saw that impact on the recruiting trail, and it took hitting big on some 3 star guys.

In the 2013-2015 signing classes, Oklahoma signed four 4 star guys and 12 3 star guys. Bedenbaugh turned several of those three star guys into NFL draft picks like Orlando Brown and Ben Powers.

Since the from the 2017-2021 classes Oklahoma has signed one 5 star, 13 four stars, and 5 three star guys.

It takes time to rebuild an O-line. It might take 4-5 years to get it fixed at Texas. They are going to have to consistently make some 3 stars guys NFL draft picks before the 4 and 5 star guys start coming in droves.

• Like 2

Here’s the crazy thing...STATISTICALLY speaking, Texas was a really good offense this year (42.7 points/game). Then you dig even just a smidge and realize they never once scored within a TD of their average either way (in regulation I might add). To me, that just confirms what we thought all along, they were extremely inconsistent.

What I’m hoping Sarkisian is able to do is provide that consistency. He doesn’t have to replicate Alabama’s 48.2 points/game. He just has to replicate Alabama’s consistency. They were within a TD of their average 8 times and only once did they score more than a TD less (game 1 vs Mizzou) compared to Texas doing that 6 times. 

• Like 1

I got tired of UT every week having to battle to beat whomever they were playing. They could’ve been playing SFA and Texas may only win by 10 or 14.

It was amazing they scored so many points against KSU and CU blowing out both teams.

I do not want close games. I want Texas to destroy people. With Herman it was always a nail biter and I don’t understand why, especially after seeing those last two games of the season. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

I got tired of UT every week having to battle to beat whomever they were playing. They could’ve been playing SFA and Texas may only win by 10 or 14.

It was amazing they scored so many points against KSU and CU blowing out both teams.

I do not want close games. I want Texas to destroy people. With Herman it was always a nail biter and I don’t understand why, especially after seeing those last two games of the season. 

Herman was afraid of losing.  When there was nothing on the line or the last game of the season he would finally relax and allow the playbook to be opened up as well as the roster.  Albeit it was baffling why he went such a long stretch in the Alamo Bowl not exploiting Bijan and his abilities.

On 1/2/2021 at 11:34 AM, DB2point0 said:

Sark hasn’t been hired yet.  Chip brown is saying to expect that.  Chip brown also said lots of things and was wrong.  If Texas hires sark I’m gonna need that bandwagon Bama application 

Let me know when you want to come over to the dark side. I’ll text my buddy Randy and get your orientation scheduled. 

• LOL! 1

7 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Herman was afraid of losing.  When there was nothing on the line or the last game of the season he would finally relax and allow the playbook to be opened up as well as the roster.  Albeit it was baffling why he went such a long stretch in the Alamo Bowl not exploiting Bijan and his abilities.

Yes, he did that junk to Ingram and did it to Bijan and analysts finally called him out for it during half time of the Alamo Bowl when Bijan touched the ball one time in the 2nd quarter.

Thankfully, they finally kind of halfway used Bijan like a feature back in the 3rd quarter and everything was as it should be. Then RoJo did come in some more in the 4th quarter and had that really good TD run.

For some reason the UT staff just loved running Roschon almost like he moving to RB to help on depth two seasons ago they felt they had to give him a lot of touches. I mean, he runs tough and hits the hole hard, but he took way too many carries away from Ingram for two years and now too many from Bijan this year. 
A little bit of rotation is great, it keeps your top players fresh and rewards the next guy down the depth chart with some touches, but UT has taken that way too far for three years and in my opinion is one of if not the major factor in Ingram never being able to assert himself he was always being taken off the field. 
Yeah, yeah, I know he had the drop against LSU and the fumble against TCU, but I am talking about through his entire UT career he was never run enough. I think ge had 20+ carries in maybe two games ever for Texas. For a long time Ingram was the starter all the way well into this year and they never, never gave him the chance to be a the feature back and now he’ll possibly transfer. Frustrates me beyond belief.

I love Bijan and hope he keeps succeeding and is used properly under Sarkisian.

8 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Texas had 6 or 7 games where it was decided by single digits.  It seems Texas played to their opponents under Herman.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

For somebody as arrogant as he was, you’d think he wouldn’t have been afraid.  But you’re right

On 1/4/2021 at 8:38 PM, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Well, I did notice in the Alamo Bowl he couldn’t outrun the defense on one run I thought he had a chance to. On another long run they had a good angle on him. 
Bet he’s slightly slower top end today than he was 6 or 8 months ago, Ingram too. 

His initial burst looked faster than most NCAA RBs which is good when your OL can’t hold a hole open

23 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Nah, I’ve never been a bandwagon fan.  Not starting now

Don't you want to ride the lead horse till he poops out like the rest of the bandwagon Alabama fans from Texas .... you won't have to eat dust for a while ... :rofl:

50 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Yes, he did that junk to Ingram and did it to Bijan and analysts finally called him out for it during half time of the Alamo Bowl when Bijan touched the ball one time in the 2nd quarter.

Thankfully, they finally kind of halfway used Bijan like a feature back in the 3rd quarter and everything was as it should be. Then RoJo did come in some more in the 4th quarter and had that really good TD run.

For some reason the UT staff just loved running Roschon almost like he moving to RB to help on depth two seasons ago they felt they had to give him a lot of touches. I mean, he runs tough and hits the hole hard, but he took way too many carries away from Ingram for two years and now too many from Bijan this year. 

A little bit of rotation is great, it keeps your top players fresh and rewards the next guy down the depth chart with some touches, but UT has taken that way too far for three years and in my opinion is one of if not the major factor in Ingram never being able to assert himself he was always being taken off the field. 
Yeah, yeah, I know he had the drop against LSU and the fumble against TCU, but I am talking about through his entire UT career he was never run enough. I think ge had 20+ carries in maybe two games ever for Texas. For a long time Ingram was the starter all the way well into this year and they never, never gave him the chance to be a the feature back and now he’ll possibly transfer.

come on...

Ingram would have been the guy - no doubt had he been able to stay healthy! now that being said...Herman had the retarded issue of only running people 15 or so times times a game and never understood to ride a horse when they were hot (see Bijan these last 3 - 4 games, when he should have had 30 carries a game and upwards of 350+ a week)!!!

50 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

For somebody as arrogant as he was, you’d think he wouldn’t have been afraid.  But you’re right

for someone as arrogant as he was, you'd have thought he would have blown teams doors off and cared nothing about it...old Barry Switzer or Jeff Traylor attitude...GONNA HANG HALF A 'HUNNERD ON UM BY HALFTIME...

10 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

for someone as arrogant as he was, you'd have thought he would have blown teams doors off and cared nothing about it...old Barry Switzer or Jeff Traylor attitude...GONNA HANG HALF A 'HUNNERD ON UM BY HALFTIME...

It must be a "millennial" thing, because I have the same gripe with Riley. Dude absolutely refuses to put his foot on the pedal when we've got the momentum. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

This was  Herman's mindset. "Winning is really hard." It's no wonder you saw UT play down to their competition when this was the mindset that was instilled in the team by the head coach. That's soft. That's fake confidence. And that's Tom Herman. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reports came out late yesterday (Mike Roach at 247) that Cal S&C coach Torre Becton will join the new Texas staff as strength coach only. Rumor is Sark will have a separate conditioning coach.

Not really surprising that the duties will be split between 2 coaches, that’s the way Bama does it too. 

21 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

come on...

Ingram would have been the guy - no doubt had he been able to stay healthy! now that being said...Herman had the retarded issue of only running people 15 or so times times a game and never understood to ride a horse when they were hot (see Bijan these last 3 - 4 games, when he should have had 30 carries a game and upwards of 350+ a week)!!!

I do agree with you. Ingram couldn’t stay healthy, but like you said, when he was healthy he only got limited carries when he should’ve been getting way more. A large part of that was UT’s insistence on running Ehlinger and using the RB’s as additional blockers.

Texas hasn’t had a true feature back since Foreman.

Herman was too hard headed to let an RB work when he got into a rhythm, because that rhythm was always short lived. 
Maybe Sark will allow Bijan to get 25 - 30 carries pretty routinely. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic