Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Ok if that’s what you want, but this might be the year to get in. We have a yearly limit on how many new fans we can take, and we had to downsize it this year cuz Covid. A bunch of folks that jumped on the LSU wagon last year that applied with us this year and got turned down. We won’t take anyone who leaves their team after less than 5 years. I’ve had some UGA and Florida fans messaging me on Facebook recently. Next year’s class might fill up fast. 

If what I’m hearing is true, Saban will retire this year or next.  

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Mismanagement obviously , I am not trying to be rude but I don’t think Texas handled it properly. 

How was he mismanaged?  He rotated with Brown.  He was used extremely well in the scheme.  Harsin and major had a good system for backs.  Neither back was abused, but were used properly to their talents.  You should stop talking about this matter.  Texas problem at that time was inconsistent QB play.  

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Gray was not mismanaged.  Gray came to Texas knowing that Malcolm Brown was there a year ahead of him.  Brown was a much-heralded player from Cibolo Steele.  Brown is the starting RB for the Rams by the way.  Gray came to Texas with the mindset that he was going to be a shoo-in for the NFL and he did not want the college grind to tear his body down so he was "good" with sharing the load with Brown.  Both RB's had around 2600 yards for their careers at Texas.  Unfortunately Gray blew out his Achilles and was never the same again.

Yea, completely mismanaged!!!🙄 lol

6 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Like your some expert heck you think your an expert on Longview and A&M.

No I don’t.  But when I see the same thing over and over I am smart enough to see the problem.  I also watched every game Gray played in too.  Dude would’ve played professionally had he not been injured, not because Texas mismanaged his talent 

17 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Gray was not mismanaged.  Gray came to Texas knowing that Malcolm Brown was there a year ahead of him.  Brown was a much-heralded player from Cibolo Steele.  Brown is the starting RB for the Rams by the way.  Gray came to Texas with the mindset that he was going to be a shoo-in for the NFL and he did not want the college grind to tear his body down so he was "good" with sharing the load with Brown.  Both RB's had around 2600 yards for their careers at Texas.  Unfortunately Gray blew out his Achilles and was never the same again.

I'm gonna say this again as a former head college coach in a different sport for a long time that has been through it...but we all have seen it as fans too...these hugely heralded players come in and once away from mom/dad/granny/pawpaw/the strict HS mentors or coach/youth pastor and get around some loose curfews / freer flowing booze / maybe some kind of substance sneaks in as well...then the workout regimen might wain a bit. They are "working hard" but in relation to some others that are really hungry and are grinding for the opportunity and have "a chip on their shoulder" --> they get a little soft. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I'm gonna say this again as a former head college coach in a different sport for a long time that has been through it...but we all have seen it as fans too...these hugely heralded players come in and once away from mom/dad/granny/pawpaw/the strict HS mentors or coach/youth pastor and get around some loose curfews / freer flowing booze / maybe some kind of substance sneaks in as well...then the workout regimen might wain a bit. They are "working hard" but in relation to some others that are really hungry and are grinding for the opportunity and have "a chip on their shoulder" --> they get a little soft. 

Being a stud at one level does not always translate being a stud at the next level. As you allude to here, there are many variables that lends itself to further success/non success.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Being a stud at one level does not always translate being a stud at the next level. As you allude to here, there are many variables that lends itself to further success/non success.

From everything I ever heard/read about grey this was not the case with him.  He was supposedly a leader and led by example,  I never heard/read anything negative about him.  And he was a dang good RB at that

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

From everything I ever heard/read about grey this was not the case with him.  He was supposedly a leader and led by example,  I never heard/read anything negative about him

No insinuation implied that Gray was not a "leader". Simply following up that many things can impact success or perceived failure.

8 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

No insinuation implied that Gray was not a "leader". Simply following up that many things can impact success or perceived failure.

Understood, grey was a good back though.  They just didn’t have consistency at the qb position at that time.  

Lot of crickets over the weekend and leading up to tonight’s game. One thing we have learned today is that WR coach Coleman could be retained but not sure for it will be as an analyst or the WR coach. 
The only coaching moves we know for sure at this time:

HC-Sark 

QB-Milwee 

RB-Drayton

OL-Flood

DL- Davis

S-Joseph

ST-Gideon

28 minutes ago, bigj said:

I love Alabama O! I get it they have the best but I love how they feed their best! 

I can see Sark using Whittington to “go in motion” a lot.   Maybe even Dixon some,  like Surratt did with him a lot in Carthage. 

• Like 1

By no means am I suggesting the Texas offense will be as good as this Bama group...but skill wise, they can still present a lot of problems for defenses. There is a solid group of young guys coming who could do some really good things like Sark has the Bama guys doing. I think the biggest thing for Texas will be can they run the ball consistently. Sark predicates his offense on making you pay with the run game when you play 2 high safeties. And then when you commit to playing a 1 high look, the Smiths and Waddles of the world take over. If Texas can’t run the ball and force defense out of a 2 high look, the offense will not be near as explosive as what we have seen from Bama. 

9 hours ago, villagegenius said:

By no means am I suggesting the Texas offense will be as good as this Bama group...but skill wise, they can still present a lot of problems for defenses. There is a solid group of young guys coming who could do some really good things like Sark has the Bama guys doing. I think the biggest thing for Texas will be can they run the ball consistently. Sark predicates his offense on making you pay with the run game when you play 2 high safeties. And then when you commit to playing a 1 high look, the Smiths and Waddles of the world take over. If Texas can’t run the ball and force defense out of a 2 high look, the offense will not be near as explosive as what we have seen from Bama. 

60% of Bama’s explosiveness would be an improvement - typed by a Horns fan.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cotton84 said:

I can see Sark using Whittington to “go in motion” a lot.   Maybe even Dixon some,  like Surratt did with him a lot in Carthage. 

Dixon will be very good at running to space on his routes and running away from the DB’s. 
I watched the video of Sarkisian presenting his offense at a clinic, the video lots of folks have seen recently. He said he wants his receivers to catch the ball in stride and he hates curls. He wants his receivers catching the ball on the move and Dixon should be great at running all those big crossing routes. 

3 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Dixon will be very good at running to space on his routes and running away from the DB’s. 
I watched the video of Sarkisian presenting his offense at a clinic, the video lots of folks have seen recently. He said he wants his receivers to catch the ball in stride and he hates curls. He wants his receivers catching the ball on the move and Dixon should be great at running all those big crossing routes. 

I love the creativity...like the constant movement, quick back and forth and back (the 2 short TD catches for Smith) and trying to move and overload the defense on every play letting the QB make the immediate natural play off that overload. I would hope it comes and the players pick it up well and it rolls.

18 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I love the creativity...like the constant movement, quick back and forth and back (the 2 short TD catches for Smith) and trying to move and overload the defense on every play letting the QB make the immediate natural play off that overload. I would hope it comes and the players pick it up well and it rolls.

Me too! Last night does give Longhorns some encouragement, but UT does not have nearly as many blue chips as Alabama at the moment and that’s just the truth.

Fingers crossed UT can execute Sarkisian’s offense and result in 80% of the success Alabama had this year. Without their OL and Waddle and Smith at WR if UT matched 80% of their offensive success next year it’d result in a very exciting offense!

• Mr. P locked this topic