Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

4 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

The environment can affect ones ability to speak as well.  When I am in front of an audience speaking I like to move around and be a bit demonstrative.  One time I had to stand behind a lectern to give a presentation.  It was the worst one of my career as I was simply not comfortable standing still.  I had the worst cotton-mouth ever within the first 5 minutes of talking.

It’s even worse doing a presentation or speech over zoom. One of my biggest work pet peeves from this past year. It’s so weird 

9 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

It’s even worse doing a presentation or speech over zoom. One of my biggest work pet peeves from this past year. It’s so weird 

Exactly. I do it often. It is especially difficult doing it with people where English is their second language. Just yesterday I gave a technical presentation to a group of engineers. I rely heavily on interaction and body language to see if people are “getting” it. That is impossible to do so in today’s environment. Last fall I did a presentation online and it went ok. However both parties knew that something was still amiss. I ended up driving to Mesa, Arizona and met with them in person and did the whole thing over again in a 2 hour meeting. It went great.

A large function of my job is presenting info. I really miss the travel and meeting folks in person right now.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Exactly. I do it often. It is especially difficult doing it with people where English is their second language. Just yesterday I gave a technical presentation to a group of engineers. I rely heavily on interaction and body language to see if people are “getting” it. That is impossible to do so in today’s environment. Last fall I did a presentation online and it went ok. However both parties knew that something was still amiss. I ended up driving to Mesa, Arizona and met with them in person and did the whole thing over again in a 2 hour meeting. It went great.

A large function of my job is presenting info. I really miss the travel and meeting folks in person right now.

Not being able to travel and go to conferences/meetings has hurt our industry as well. The whole virtual/working remote thing has its perks but I'm coming to find the cons are starting to outweigh the pros.

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

Not being able to travel and go to conferences/meetings has hurt our industry as well. The whole virtual/working remote thing has its perks but I'm coming to find the cons are starting to outweigh the pros.

It is nice being home but I do miss the travel.  In 2019 I was gone for about 100 days.  In 2020, prior to the Covid shutdown in mid-March I had already traveled to southern Africa, Canada and to 3 states.  Though my salary has not taken a direct hit, I am not presently accruing air miles and hotel stays.  I have over a million miles on Delta and almost that many on American.  I use those air miles and free hotel stays for personal travel.  Personal travel right now is coming out of my own pocket!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

It is nice being home but I do miss the travel.  In 2019 I was gone for about 100 days.  In 2020, prior to the Covid shutdown in mid-March I had already traveled to southern Africa, Canada and to 3 states.  Though my salary has not taken a direct hit, I am not presently accruing air miles and hotel stays.  I have over a million miles on Delta and almost that many on American.  I use those air miles and free hotel stays for personal travel.  Personal travel right now is coming out of my own pocket!

ad that's a bigger hit than most people would think!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

In the video of Sarkisian during that coaching clinic he spoke better and without notes just explaining what was on the screen as he went, but spoke plenty without the power point too.

When I give presentations I never have notes. There is usually a power point, but a lot of it is just talking.

I think it would be hard to speak carefully and easily right now, because there's no way he could "know" his "material"...The University of Texas.

That's when you can talk without notes, when you're pitching material you know backwards & forwards.

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I'm saying that Alabama elevated those guys not vice versa.

So, you are saying that these are "system" coaches and that the athletes that Alabama has have made the coaches successful?

If so, Texas has recruited top athletes under both Strong and Herman and yet these athletes have not raised the level of coaching.  In fact, it has been stated that part of the problem with the Texas' staff has been poor player development.  Certainly Alabama has recruited better than Texas but Texas has still gotten their fair share of good talent.

At this time I am willing to take the "Alabama player developed" staff to test the theory.  If cannot get any worse than it has been.

Of course I am assuming the gist of your comment as such.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

So, you are saying that these are "system" coaches and that the athletes that Alabama has have made the coaches successful?

If so, Texas has recruited top athletes under both Strong and Herman and yet these athletes have not raised the level of coaching.  In fact, it has been stated that part of the problem with the Texas' staff has been poor player development.  Certainly Alabama has recruited better than Texas but Texas has still gotten their fair share of good talent.

At this time I am willing to take the "Alabama player developed" staff to test the theory.  If cannot get any worse than it has been.

This. It can only go up. I'm willing to bet on coaches who have been in an environment of what it takes to win and develop than a coach who had 1 good season as a HC at a G5 school. We've tried that exercise twice now and it didn't work. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I’m saying that Saban is what makes it successful. 

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

I’m saying that Saban is what makes it successful. 

OK.  No doubt that Saban is the alpha male.  But hopefully that if enough of them jump ship and come with Sark to Texas then collectively they would be better as a group versus if it were just Sark and a plus one or so.  I would think by having multiple pupils of Saban on staff it would be easier to keep the "Sabanisms" going.

• Mr. P locked this topic