Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Are you suggesting sark is making comfort hires?

That’s really hard to read at this point. Sark was mediocre in his first HC run. He’s been brilliant as an OC. He’s bringing in Kyle Flood (awesome OL coach) as OC but Sark will be calling the plays. Flood is also known as an a great recruiter.  I think he’s trying to build the best possible staff he can. I guess it’s a wait and see thing on how it works. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

That’s really hard to read at this point. Sark was mediocre in his first HC run. He’s been brilliant as an OC. He’s bringing in Kyle Flood (awesome OL coach) as OC but Sark will be calling the plays. Flood is also known as an a great recruiter.  I think he’s trying to build the best possible staff he can. I guess it’s a wait and see thing on how it works. 

I agree.  I was just asking the ou boy a stupid question since he made a snide remark.  Of course we know Saban is the greatest, but those assistants are good coaches too.  The reason Saban can hire new assistants regularly and succeed is the talent he has stockpiled.  I’d be willing to bet that Bama is in the cfp conversation next year with new assistants.  Let Saban retire and Bama will idle down some.  Even if dabo replaces him.  I think Saban is a way better coach than Dabo.  Saban can coach up coaches, there’s the difference

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

OK.  No doubt that Saban is the alpha male.  But hopefully that if enough of them jump ship and come with Sark to Texas then collectively they would be better as a group versus if it were just Sark and a plus one or so.  I would think by having multiple pupils of Saban on staff it would be easier to keep the "Sabanisms" going.

I know there is a difference between college and pro, but here in Houston we are witnessing how wrong things can go trying to replicate culture and climate from another program...Take what you learned, but gotta do your thing. Sark isn't Saban and doesn't need to try to be. That is why his protégé tend to fail...

2 minutes ago, topher805 said:

I know there is a difference between college and pro, but here in Houston we are witnessing how wrong things can go trying to replicate culture and climate from another program...Take what you learned, but gotta do your thing. Sark isn't Saban and doesn't need to try to be. That is why his protégé tend to fail...

That goes without saying but there are some fundamentals that should work globally.  You take what works and apply it to your situation as each situation as required.

Here's an update to Sark's staff:

OC/OL - Kyle Flood (Sark will call plays)

QB's - A.J. Milwee 

RB's - Stan Drayton

WR's - Andre Coleman 

TE's/ST - Jeff Banks 

DC - Unknown, Alabama DC Pete Golding is rumored to be the new favorite.

DL - Bo Davis 

LB's - Unknown 

Safeties - Blake Gideon 

DB's - Terry Joseph 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Valhalla said:

That is a downgrade from Ash IMO.

LOL. Ole Saban had a bunch of scrub Coaches, huh? Hes putting together the best staff in the Conference. Now is time to go get some better players. I'm sure the Coaches flashing all of their Natty rings wont hurt recruiting...

Getting Banks is huge.  He's the main guy that recruits Texas for Alabama.  Banks, Flood, and Davis are all elite coach/recruiters.  I'm not very familiar with Terry Joseph.

This staff so far is night and day difference from Herman bringing along his G5 buddies.

Speaking of, have you guys ever heard the supposed rumor on the old shaggy of Derek Warehime doing an in-home visit with Walker Little?

3 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I agree.  I was just asking the ou boy a stupid question since he made a snide remark.  Of course we know Saban is the greatest, but those assistants are good coaches too.  The reason Saban can hire new assistants regularly and succeed is the talent he has stockpiled.  I’d be willing to bet that Bama is in the cfp conversation next year with new assistants.  Let Saban retire and Bama will idle down some.  Even if dabo replaces him.  I think Saban is a way better coach than Dabo.  Saban can coach up coaches, there’s the difference

IMHO, Dabo has seen the success he’s seen in large part because he’s been able to build a great staff and keep it intact. Brent Venables could have taken a P5 HC job 3 years ago if he wanted to. He’s still at Clemson and he’s probably the best DC in college football. Saban has won 6 national championships with 5 different OCs and 4 different DCs. The guys that leave there always leave to move up. They don’t move laterally. OL or WR coaches become OCs. LB or DL coaches become DCs. Coordinators become HCs in college or move to the NFL. I think one of the reasons you see guys like Pruitt and Muschamp fall on their face is the fact that they accept HC jobs without getting the guarantee that they will have enough money to hire good assistants. Texas is going to improve immediately because of the staff Sark is bringing with him. Tennessee would never be able to take as many coaches away from BAMA as Sark has this year. I don’t think they could afford it. 

1 minute ago, trueblue82 said:

IMHO, Dabo has seen the success he’s seen in large part because he’s been able to build a great staff and keep it intact. Brent Venables could have taken a P5 HC job 3 years ago if he wanted to. He’s still at Clemson and he’s probably the best DC in college football. Saban has won 6 national championships with 5 different OCs and 4 different DCs. The guys that leave there always leave to move up. They don’t move laterally. OL or WR coaches become OCs. LB or DL coaches become DCs. Coordinators become HCs in college or move to the NFL. I think one of the reasons you see guys like Pruitt and Muschamp fall on their face is the fact that they accept HC jobs without getting the guarantee that they will have enough money to hire good assistants. Texas is going to improve immediately because of the staff Sark is bringing with him. Tennessee would never be able to take as many coaches away from BAMA as Sark has this year. I don’t think they could afford it. 

Agree on Dabo.  We haven’t seen if he can lose staff and keep on.  He lost his OC for the semis and the team struggled.  Yes, I understand that was a tough situation, but surely Dabo is in on the offensive meetings.  They shouldn’t have had that much trouble.
sark is in a good situation.  He’s being given the opportunity to build a great staff and is doing so, regardless of what any ou fan thinks.  It is still a ways to go to see if he can get it done in the fall, but he’s giving himself a good shot at being successful by hiring good assistants  

35 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I hate to see this.  Getting a fresh start with a new coach.  I feel the best players will play.  That means he’s #2 and RoJo gets bumped.  Unless he has a riff with drayton, this doesn’t make sense.

Here's my breakdown of how much the loss of Ingram will impact Texas next year,

Let me start by stating the obvious, the primary impact will be depth. Especially after the last two seasons, and the number of injuries we've seen, depth is crucial. 

That said (and as long as the team stays mostly healthy), I don't think the impact will be as bad as some may think. 

Bijan is clearly RB #1, and it's not even close. As such, he should be getting the bulk of the carries. During the 2020 season, the # of carries looked as follows,

Bijan - 86

Rojo - 80

Ingram - 53

The 2019 season was divided similarly to '20,

Ingram - 144

Rojo - 123

Bijan should be getting twice as many carries as #2. NOT nearly equal. As such, the number of carries for #2 would (and should) drop significantly. As for the impact of #2, and who is the better back between Rojo and Ingram, I think you could make an argument either way. Rojo is clearly capable of being #2. 

Now, let's look at how a couple of other teams split carries between 3 RB's...

In 2020:

Iowa State gave 279 carries to Breece Hall. #2 had 61. #3 had 13

Alabama gave 251 carries to Najee Harris. #2 had 91. #3 had 30. 

Looking back at 2019 (with a full season):

LSU gave CEH 215 carries. #2 had 64. #3 had 39.

Alabama gave Najee 209 carries. #2 had 96. #3 had 39. 

Why did I choose these teams to compare? Well, each of these teams also threw the ball close to the same number of times as Texas. I looked at Bama for both seasons for obvious reasons, because the person calling their plays the last two seasons will now be calling plays in Austin. 

This is what it should look like for Texas. So back to depth and health now. IF everyone stays healthy, Bijan and Rojo will have majority of the carries, and both can handle that just fine. RB #3, based on these numbers, would get about 3 carries per game. So who can be RB3?

Texas still has Derrian Brown on the roster. Will he be able to play next season? Daniel Young opted out of the 2020 season due to COVID. Will he return for another year (he was a Senior)? I think either of these backs can manage 3 carries a game. 

So Ingram transferring, in my opinion, will be far better for him, then it will be bad for Texas. Again, barring injuries. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Nice breakdown . Couldn’t Ingram in theory just go to another D1. I think he is capable and most likely going to Sam Houston type school. Baylor tech would be nice . A&M Tcu are not viable options.

He's a D-1 talent. He should find plenty of suitors for his skillset. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lobo97 said:

Here's my breakdown of how much the loss of Ingram will impact Texas next year,

Let me start by stating the obvious, the primary impact will be depth. Especially after the last two seasons, and the number of injuries we've seen, depth is crucial. 

That said (and as long as the team stays mostly healthy), I don't think the impact will be as bad as some may think. 

Bijan is clearly RB #1, and it's not even close. As such, he should be getting the bulk of the carries. During the 2020 season, the # of carries looked as follows,

Bijan - 86

Rojo - 80

Ingram - 53

The 2019 season was divided similarly to '20,

Ingram - 144

Rojo - 123

Bijan should be getting twice as many carries as #2. NOT nearly equal. As such, the number of carries for #2 would (and should) drop significantly. As for the impact of #2, and who is the better back between Rojo and Ingram, I think you could make an argument either way. Rojo is clearly capable of being #2. 

Now, let's look at how a couple of other teams split carries between 3 RB's...

In 2020:

Iowa State gave 279 carries to Breece Hall. #2 had 61. #3 had 13

Alabama gave 251 carries to Najee Harris. #2 had 91. #3 had 30. 

Looking back at 2019 (with a full season):

LSU gave CEH 215 carries. #2 had 64. #3 had 39.

Alabama gave Najee 209 carries. #2 had 96. #3 had 39. 

Why did I choose these teams to compare? Well, each of these teams also threw the ball close to the same number of Times as Texas. I looked at Bama for both seasons for obvious reasons, because the person calling their plays the last two seasons will not be calling plays in Austin. 

This is what it should look like for Texas. So back to depth and health now. IF everyone stays healthy, Bijan and Rojo will have majority of the carries, and both can handle that just fine. RB #3, based on these numbers, would get about 3 carries per game. So who can be RB3?

Texas still has Derrian Brown on the roster. Will he be able to play next season? Daniel Young opted out of the 2020 season due to COVID. Will he return for another year (he was a Senior)? I think either of these backs can manage 3 carries a game. 

So Ingram transferring, in my opinion, will be far better for him, then it will be bad for Texas. Again, barring injuries. 

Good breakdown. I think it will be good for him. The injury bug bit him early and unfortunately he couldn't stay healthy for long periods of time. He should be fine going somewhere D1 no problem.

• Like 2

Texas interviewed Dan Lanning for the DC position today. Lanning has served as the DC for Georgia the last two years, and was Georgia's LB coach the year prior to that.

This would be an exciting hire. Lanning is a young coach, 34, and has done well at Georgia the last couple of seasons. Georgia had the #2 scoring defense is college football last season (they were 16 the year prior), with an improvement of 6 ppg. This season, Georgia ranked #2 in the SEC, behind only Alabama (showed only SEC here as many of the teams ranked above them nationally only played 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 games). 

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic