Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

18 hours ago, cotton84 said:

I agree with your statement........and IMO Shaka coaches hard and the guys play hard for him - just doesn’t work. 

smacking the floor with your hands when you know you're on TV to me doesn't say "coaching hard"...he seems confused in the big situations...the team always seems confused & disorganized - which always leads to us losing any great recruit that we should get

4 hours ago, JustAFan11 said:

3 names I’ve seen on message boards by mods are: Beard, Musselman, and Altman. 

The thing about beard is I see a lot of Billy Gillespi in him. As in, he's a hard nosed coach that is extremely tough on his team in terms of getting them to play physical defense. That system works great at a school like Tech that typically has multiple players in their 3rd year and isn't recruiting 1 and done guys, but when you get the high end offensive studs that Texas is capable of getting they usually don't mesh well with the coaching style. 

Billy G failed at Kentucky because he couldn't get the 5 star 1 and done studs to buy into his system. Can Beard do better at Texas? I think so but I could easily see it failing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

The thing about beard is I see a lot of Billy Gillespi in him. As in, he's a hard nosed coach that is extremely tough on his team in terms of getting them to play physical defense. That system works great at a school like Tech that typically has multiple players in their 3rd year and isn't recruiting 1 and done guys, but when you get the high end offensive studs that Texas is capable of getting they usually don't mesh well with the coaching style. 

Billy G failed at Kentucky because he couldn't get the 5 star 1 and done studs to buy into his system. Can Beard do better at Texas? I think so but I could easily see it failing. 

Until he becomes the Texas coach his name will always pop up for the gig. He has a history similar to Herman had, Beard was a GA at Texas when Tom Penders was coaching and he has a degree from UT. 

13 hours ago, topher805 said:

I don't see Beard and Mussleman leaving their current situations for Texas. Altman is intriguing. 

I agree, I don't see Musselman leaving Arkansas now that he has it rolling. It'll be fairly easy to recruit there now that it's going in a positive direction for him and Arky in the SEC. He is on a great path, Texas should have made that move before Arky hired him!

Beard would be a good hire, but I kinda agree that I struggle to think he'd leave Tech. He is a huge deal there. He knows enough about UT to know that he'd be under a GIGANTIC microscope here...win and it was expected...lose and he was that overrated guy that was over his head. With guys like Beard, they have built a reputation and I believe he is smart enough he'd try and build his team the same way (transfers) at UT as at Tech, but also peppering in the big timers too. I think top players would want to play for Beard and there would be good things happening. 

OK...I think the guys Texas could/should really go after and it would be good, to great moves...

Ghost of Billy Tubbs

Kelvin Sampson

Billy Donovan

Ghost of Jerry Tarkanian

Rick Pitino

Dana Altman

Gregg Marshall

Jay Wright

Chris Beard

Eric Musselman

Paul Westhead

Names to consider:

Kelvin Sampson (Houston)

Rick Stansbury (Western Kentucky)

Rick Pitino (Iona)

Porter Moser (Loyola Chicago)

Steve Alford (Nevada)

Dana Altman (Oregon)

Jay Wright (Villanova)

Gregg Marshall (Unemployed)

Billy Donovan (Chicago Bulls)

Jason Kidd

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topher805 said:

Names to consider:

Kelvin Sampson (Houston)

Rick Stansbury (Western Kentucky)

Rick Pitino (Iona)

Porter Moser (Loyola Chicago)

Steve Alford (Nevada)

Dana Altman (Oregon)

Jay Wright (Villanova)

Gregg Marshall (Unemployed)

Billy Donovan (Chicago Bulls)

Jason Kidd

Former Horn and current Nets assistant Royal Ivey. The basketball alumni will be pushing for him to get an interview. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

They just broke the news that Shaka Smart is leaving Texas for Marquette...avoiding the rough scrutiny he's facing right now. Hopefully Texas will start making a move on Sampson or another top coach!

Sampson is just going to switch to a darker shade of Red.

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

Sampson is just going to switch to a darker shade of Red.

you think he'll run back to Oklahoma?

on The Horn all afternoon they've been freaking out that CDC and Beard are already hammering something out...Ivey may be coming too as some type of an high tone assistant that would handle a ton of recruiting. 

4 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

you think he'll run back to Oklahoma?

on The Horn all afternoon they've been freaking out that CDC and Beard are already hammering something out...Ivey may be coming too as some type of an high tone assistant that would handle a ton of recruiting. 

Supposedly both party’s have already been “feeling” it out

• Mr. P locked this topic