Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

7 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Really? 
Why not? 

I figure if you can win in Lubbock you can win in Austin. But then again Austin is a weird place

What has he won in Lubbock?  His offenses score about what Shaka’s do.  What makes him a great coach in your opinion?  I’m not sold on him being better than an average coach yet.  He’s barely above .500 in Big12 play.  One good year and 4 average years at Tech.

I want a consistent coach.  He doesn’t give you that and is making $6M a year

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

What has he won in Lubbock?  His offenses score about what Shaka’s do.  What makes him a great coach in your opinion?  I’m not sold on him being better than an average coach yet.  He’s barely above .500 in Big12 play.  One good year and 4 average years at Tech.

Well, he did take them to the Championship game, just 3 years ago. I'd say that's a bit better than just average. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

I'm looking at his history with a .712 winning % and a now history of winning in the tournament compared to Shaka (a lower %) and really he had a limited amount of success at one school (VCU). Shaka would run up wins against lesser competition and if you look, he was winning 1 tournament game for a few years (except for the final four run)...besides that he was losing first round at VCU, just like at Texas. I think we got just what we bought...he was a small school and was out of his league. 

Beard has been an extreme winner/builder everywhere he's gone (and knows how to use the transfer system to do it with experience). The winning he's done at Tech has been against the same competition as Shaka has gone against and not beaten during the same run. I think he'd be a home run... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I'm looking at his history with a .712 winning % and a now history of winning in the tournament compared to Shaka (a lower %) and really he had a limited amount of success at one school (VCU). Shaka would run up wins against lesser competition and if you look, he was winning 1 tournament game for a few years (except for the final four run)...besides that he was losing first round at VCU, just like at Texas. I think we got just what we bought...he was a small school and was out of his league. 

Beard has been an extreme winner/builder everywhere he's gone (and knows how to use the transfer system to do it with experience). The winning he's done at Tech has been against the same competition as Shaka has gone against and not beaten during the same run. I think he'd be a home run... 

He’ll have to show me he can do it at Texas.  He’s been at one place long enough to claim he’s really built anything.  He’s been at Tech for 5 years.  Outside of the one really good year he’s 80-48 overall and 35-36 in conference.  He’s built a monster at Tech I tell ya <sarcasm>.   

12 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Shaka Smart found himself in the final four not too long ago too.

I get your reason for pessimism, but I also don't think you're looking at the full picture. 

Yes, he's primarily only been at 1 school (1 year at Little Rock). Yes, his overall 'record' seems average, outside of 1 great year. 

But here's the pieces you're failing to see:

For starters, everything he's done the last 5 years has been at Texas Tech. Not really a school anyone's ever considered to have a strong tournament history. 

- 1 Tournament appearance previous 10 years, prior to Beard

- 13 years since the last time they made it past the first round

- Only 6X did the program make it past the 1st round in school history, prior to Beard

Chris Beard has led Tech to the tournament in 3 of the last 4 years. Two of those three, they went at least 4 rounds deep. 

Am I guaranteeing the Beard would lead Texas basketball to a title? Absolutely not. Am I arguing that he's the best choice? Not necessarily. However, I do believe he would be an improvement over Smart. Why? Because coaches aren't simply measured on their regular season records, which is what you keep referring to. They are measured on their ability to get their team to the tournament, and being able to win once they do. Beard has shown that ability at Tech. 

Shaka Smart won 0 tournament games at Texas. He did win the NIT though, so I guess that's something, lol. 

I compare him to Shaka, a decent up and comer.  Not somebody that deserves $6M+ from Texas.  Let him stay at Tech and prove himself further.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Wright_(basketball)

there’s you a proven basketball coach I think would be worth $6M (currently making $4M).  If you’re going to money whip a coach away from a school you should go after a proven guy, not somebody possibly on the rise.  

By no means am I saying Beard is the guy, or that he should be the #1 target. My only argument above, was for my reasoning as to why I think he'd be better than Smart was.

Jay Wright is a phenomenal coach. The question with him would be, how would he fit. He's a North East guy. For whatever reason, great coaches at one place don't always equate to great coaches somewhere else.

22 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

I get your reason for pessimism, but I also don't think you're looking at the full picture. 

Yes, he's primarily only been at 1 school (1 year at Little Rock). Yes, his overall 'record' seems average, outside of 1 great year. 

But here's the pieces you're failing to see:

For starters, everything he's done the last 5 years has been at Texas Tech. Not really a school anyone's ever considered to have a strong tournament history. 

- 1 Tournament appearance previous 10 years, prior to Beard

- 13 years since the last time they made it past the first round

- Only 6X did the program make it past the 1st round in school history, prior to Beard

Chris Beard has led Tech to the tournament in 3 of the last 4 years. Two of those three, they went at least 4 rounds deep. 

Am I guaranteeing the Beard would lead Texas basketball to a title? Absolutely not. Am I arguing that he's the best choice? Not necessarily. However, I do believe he would be an improvement over Smart. Why? Because coaches aren't simply measured on their regular season records, which is what you keep referring to. They are measured on their ability to get their team to the tournament, and being able to win once they do. Beard has shown that ability at Tech. 

Shaka Smart won 0 tournament games at Texas. He did win the NIT though, so I guess that's something, lol. 

Beard is great at Texas Tech.  I think he has really built something sustainable there.  I believe the expectations at Texas are different though.  The UT brass doesn't get excited over role-players that just fit.  They want the NBA studs (Durant) that are gone after a year.  They are the "we are the best" crowd.  They are the problem.  Shaka saw the writing on the wall, you can't sustain the type of success that these people want.  Texas Tech, while disappointed, knows that they performed pretty damned well considering the team they had.  No one at Texas is willing to admit their fatal flaws that they had after reaching #2 in the rankings.  Those flaws were exploited in the tournament, and yes, it had ALOT to do with coaching.  

6 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Lot to prove in my opinion!  However he’s the guy.  Hopefully in 5-6 years we aren’t having regrets....again

They just need to hope he can get that 5* one and done and be able to keep the essential chess pieces around that revolving 5*...  he was great at Tech at turning a bunch of pawns into bishops and knights.

• Mr. P locked this topic