Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

18 hours ago, thegreatbambino said:

Just made it 6 in a row. Over the monster in center with his last one.

He's homered 7 times in 6 games. Those are video game numbers. Texas is now #3 in the rankings behind Arkansas and Vandy.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

He's homered 7 times in 6 games. Those are video game numbers. Texas is now #3 in the rankings behind Arkansas and Vandy.

IDK if this team is #3, but they are starting to put it all together.  They were mostly winning with pitching and defense, but the hitting lately has been on fire.  Now I know they haven't faced stellar pitching as of late, but the K-State Friday night starter is a projected 1st rounder and they got to him pretty good and the closer.  Still have OK State, Tech, and TCU and 2/3 those series are away.

22 hours ago, Red90fly said:

IDK if this team is #3, but they are starting to put it all together.  They were mostly winning with pitching and defense, but the hitting lately has been on fire.  Now I know they haven't faced stellar pitching as of late, but the K-State Friday night starter is a projected 1st rounder and they got to him pretty good and the closer.  Still have OK State, Tech, and TCU and 2/3 those series are away.

Agreed. The last 3 series are going to be a real test for them. 

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Did anyone watch the UT spring game?

I just watched the first half on dvr.  Going to watch some softball now.  Will watch the second half this evening.

casey Thompson looked pretty good for about 95% of the first half

After watching the second half here are my thoughts.

I get the idea that Sark wants Casey to win the job.  The scrimmage was set up for him to win it.  He had a larger portion of decent wr on his team along with Bijan.  Still he was so inconsistent.  Neither qb had the advantage of great OL play, and were sacked repeatedly.  Of course a lot of those sacks would’ve went for positive yardage had qb’s been live.  Lots of pressure in the scrimmage though.   First time through I really didn’t watch the defense as a whole as much as I did the offense.  I saw the DL a good bit as I was paying attention to the OL really.  DL was missing some key components and still got pressure.  I can’t really say what the back end of the defense was doing as I was focusing more on the offense.  But I really never saw plays where a WR was just wide open.  I was expecting that with sark being the scheme-master as he’s been called.   There were guys in space at times, but the bigger plays were more athletes just getting past their man.  Whittington can be special, if he stays healthy.  

Hudson card has bad jittery feet in the pocket.  He just doesn’t look comfortable.  Casey Thompson looks like he’s throwing off his back foot a lot.  Did anybody else see this in his mechanics?  I really felt like Casey should’ve separated by now, but his inconsistent play is keeping the race tight.  

Bijan Robinson is special.  He doesn’t have the top end speed you really want in a back, but man does he have a burst, great vision and shiftiness 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

After watching the second half here are my thoughts.

I get the idea that Sark wants Casey to win the job.  The scrimmage was set up for him to win it.  He had a larger portion of decent wr on his team along with Bijan.  Still he was so inconsistent.  Neither qb had the advantage of great OL play, and were sacked repeatedly.  Of course a lot of those sacks would’ve went for positive yardage had qb’s been live.  Lots of pressure in the scrimmage though.   First time through I really didn’t watch the defense as a whole as much as I did the offense.  I saw the DL a good bit as I was paying attention to the OL really.  DL was missing some key components and still got pressure.  I can’t really say what the back end of the defense was doing as I was focusing more on the offense.  But I really never saw plays where a WR was just wide open.  I was expecting that with sark being the scheme-master as he’s been called.   There were guys in space at times, but the bigger plays were more athletes just getting past their man.  Whittington can be special, if he stays healthy.  

Hudson card has bad jittery feet in the pocket.  He just doesn’t look comfortable.  Casey Thompson looks like he’s throwing off his back foot a lot.  Did anybody else see this in his mechanics?  I really felt like Casey should’ve separated by now, but his inconsistent play is keeping the race tight.  

Bijan Robinson is special.  He doesn’t have the top end speed you really want in a back, but man does he have a burst, great vision and shiftiness 

I disagree with the sentiment that Sark wants Thompson to win the QB job. I tend to think Sark wants both QBs to hang around until the fall. The way the teams were set up, it makes it very inconclusive as to who played better. Had Card lit it up, it could be brushed off as well he was playing with against the 2 defense. Had Thompson struggled more so than Card you can play the same hand slightly different. Basically I think it was set up to not make it obvious who is better.

I also think we will see a way more dynamic offense, no matter who the QB is, come fall. One of the things that Sark was so good with at Bama was his ability to use motions and formations to get his best guys into the best matchups. The offense was VERY vanilla in that regard. Do I think Texas will light it up like Bama? Not necessarily. But I do think if Texas can make some plays early in the schedule and come out September unscathed then we could be in for a fun ride as a fan base. 

This offense has the potential to not have to be a one horse show. Strongs last year it was Foreman or Bust. Herman’s whole time it was Ehlinger or Bust. This offense doesn’t have to be Robinson or Bust or Card/Thompson or Bust. 

22 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Casey got the 1st team O vs the 2nd team D. He threw the ball 45 times with 2 INTs and 0 TDs. 

I think they want Casey to win the job but I believe Card is going to take it. 

I’d have to go back and look but I think the units were mixed on OL.  If that was the ol#1 we may be in trouble

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, villagegenius said:

I disagree with the sentiment that Sark wants Thompson to win the QB job. I tend to think Sark wants both QBs to hang around until the fall. The way the teams were set up, it makes it very inconclusive as to who played better. Had Card lit it up, it could be brushed off as well he was playing with against the 2 defense. Had Thompson struggled more so than Card you can play the same hand slightly different. Basically I think it was set up to not make it obvious who is better.

I also think we will see a way more dynamic offense, no matter who the QB is, come fall. One of the things that Sark was so good with at Bama was his ability to use motions and formations to get his best guys into the best matchups. The offense was VERY vanilla in that regard. Do I think Texas will light it up like Bama? Not necessarily. But I do think if Texas can make some plays early in the schedule and come out September unscathed then we could be in for a fun ride as a fan base. 

This offense has the potential to not have to be a one horse show. Strongs last year it was Foreman or Bust. Herman’s whole time it was Ehlinger or Bust. This offense doesn’t have to be Robinson or Bust or Card/Thompson or Bust. 

Casey was given 45 passing attempts. Card had half that, but was sacked more.  Card’s best option at we was a walk-on.  

The idea of keeping card around was coach speak.  Sark doesn’t want to enter the fall with Wright as his #2.  What he’s said and what I saw is a little different.  Casey is qb1.  He’ll let card fight, get better and go into the fall better prepared.  Sark won’t name the starter til maybe Thursday or Friday before the first game

Eh, to much hand wringing over a spring game.  I think Casey will start, he's already shown when called into prime time he can thrive.  Should also be noted Sark wasn't calling plays for either side.  First two games are ULaLa and @Arky.  Let's see where this team is after those two games.  That's a tougher two game start to the season than 90+% of college football will have this year.

• Like 1

It's hard for me to take anything away from the spring game (like always). Everything just seems very vanilla. I can get flashes of "Oh that was nice" but I don't take a whole lot from it. 

With the being said, here's a couple of takeaways:

1. So glad we still have Dicker. Seems like he's improving on his punting too with BDjghwuegwef being out.

2. I lean more towards Card, just by the few times I've seen him sling the ball. Kid is going to be really special once he gets more comfortable back there.

3. I was encouraged by the different looks the defense gave, for what that's worth.

Hook'em

• Like 1

Also, a few other notes:  Texas added a transfer LB from New Mexico State yesterday.  May not sound like a big deal, but he was a Freshman All-American in 2019.

Texas also added a WR for the 2021 class that was the #8 WR for that class and #61 overall.  Has the speed Sark is looking for.

Epps hit the portal today.  I expect several WR's to follow as well (Kennedy Lewis wasn't on the spring rosters and is rumored to be gone).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Red90fly said:

Also, a few other notes:  Texas added a transfer LB from New Mexico State yesterday.  May not sound like a big deal, but he was a Freshman All-American in 2019.

Texas also added a WR for the 2021 class that was the #8 WR for that class and #61 overall.  Has the speed Sark is looking for.

Epps hit the portal today.  I expect several WR's to follow as well (Kennedy Lewis wasn't on the spring rosters and is rumored to be gone).

Which receivers are possibly exiting? Epps gone.

Lewis as good as gone. Who else?

Staff must really not have liked what they saw from the DE/OLB room with now taking the Bama' guy, ND guy, and Thornton from LSU.  Outside of Jacoby Jones and Prince Dorbah I'm not sure who else would have been a legit option.  At least now this gives 5 guys to use/rotate.

2 hours ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Which receivers are possibly exiting? Epps gone.

Lewis as good as gone. Who else?

I think with a healthy WR room your top group is Whittington, Smith, Moore, and Omeire.  Dixon and Washington would round out the 2nd unit.  Woodard is probably gone IMO.  Alexis may work his way into some PT, he's definitely got the speed Sark is looking for.  Lee and Worthy I think will eventually contribute.  The Louisiana WR that committed to Herman/Yurcich will never see the field IMO.

• Mr. P locked this topic