Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

On 8/7/2021 at 2:16 AM, WETSU said:

Does Texas have a target in its back the first couple of sec seasons? Yes. Are they everyone's biggest game like sark said? No. There is a difference. 

C'mon man... it's a tongue in cheek statement made specifically for the media to hype up his football team. It would be a huge embarrassment for the SEC if Texas or OU was to win the SEC in the first or second year of competition. The games against UT and OU may not be the "biggest" games on everyone else's schedule, but they will most certainly be a focus due to the fact that we are the new kids in town. 

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

I have a serious question...

I haven't seen a lot of film on him to really know, but is Arch Manning really that good? Or is the name on the back of his jersey give him an extra star?

^^^ This. 

I've watched his tape, he's certainly very talented and well-coached, but I don't think he's head and shoulders above the pack. If he were Arch Smith or Arch Jones he wouldn't have that extra star. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LOL said:

^^^ This. 

I've watched his tape, he's certainly very talented and well-coached, but I don't think he's head and shoulders above the pack. If he were Arch Smith or Arch Jones he wouldn't have that extra star. 

Exactly my thoughts. I've seen a lot of Texas fans raving about him over Maalik Murphy, but from the little I've seen, nothing stands out to me other than he's a Manning. I could be wrong though...  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Highlights are highlights for any players. They are not going to show their less stellar moments. So that may be the difference. Perhaps Manning, due to his pedigree and training, is a more cerebral player and makes less mistakes?

Very possible. I was asking because I'm genuinely curious. I have not seen him play other than a few highlights here and there. I might try to watch a game of his this season if I can. I don't doubt the kid is good at all.

7 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Exactly my thoughts. I've seen a lot of Texas fans raving about him over Maalik Murphy, but from the little I've seen, nothing stands out to me other than he's a Manning. I could be wrong though...  

He's light years ahead of Murphy. But he's not the second coming. Very complete prospect and I think he does well in every level but he's not a generational talent or anything. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

This is how I feel about Murphy. 

On 8/26/2021 at 9:07 AM, ETXfan16 said:

I have a serious question...

I haven't seen a lot of film on him to really know, but is Arch Manning really that good? Or is the name on the back of his jersey give him an extra star?

I don't know if he'll be another Archie Manning or Peyton Manning in ability, but I think his signing, again, would be a big signing that would attract other "big starred" talent to continue stockpiling. It's building the incredible depth that the Horns need...then the homerun's really bring everyone up even more. 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 6:17 PM, WETSU said:

He's light years ahead of Murphy. But he's not the second coming. Very complete prospect and I think he does well in every level but he's not a generational talent or anything. 

There are only 3 players in the last 5 years ranked as high or higher than Manning and those are Ewers, Lawrence and Fields.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Baron said:

There are only 3 players in the last 5 years ranked as high or higher than Manning and those are Ewers, Lawrence and Fields.

You think that matters? You think the Manning name doesnt influence the ranking? 

The kid is definitely good. He's a high 4star at worst regardless of name. But its debatable he's the top qb in his own class much less worthy of the hype surrounding him. 

7 hours ago, WETSU said:

You think that matters? You think the Manning name doesnt influence the ranking? 

The kid is definitely good. He's a high 4star at worst regardless of name. But its debatable he's the top qb in his own class much less worthy of the hype surrounding him. 

He’s definitely better than Murphy and if he commits to Texas I will be happy. He is a good player regardless of name.  But his name will help in recruiting.  And if he is really good in college the name will bring notoriety to the program as well.  If recruits come for visits and there’s the Manning clan on the sideline that helps too.  

17 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

He’s definitely better than Murphy and if he commits to Texas I will be happy. He is a good player regardless of name.  But his name will help in recruiting.  And if he is really good in college the name will bring notoriety to the program as well.  If recruits come for visits and there’s the Manning clan on the sideline that helps too.  

I agree with all those points. Just do not think he's going to Texas. We shall see on that matter. 

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

Did I say anything like that? I just compared his composite ranking with other highly ranked QB's.

2 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Hudson Card has been named the starter for the Louisiana game. Both QB’s will play, however. 

I think both are capable of running the offense successfully. It sounds like Card has been more consistent in scrimmages 

• Mr. P locked this topic