Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

As I said yesterday, I almost felt like Sark needed that game to tell which QB to start. I just hate it had to come at the expense of losing to Arkansas. Just the entire demeanor of the offense seemed to change when Thompson stepped onto the field. He had no issues with selling himself out to make plays either. 

• Like 1

I've had a little bit of time to get the negativity out of me from Saturday.

Casey gives you the best chance to win. The offensive line was exposed Saturday, and no offense to Card, but he's not up to speed with how fast the game is at this level. That will come with time. Casey made quick reads and fast decisions. Thats what you need when your offensive line struggles. 

The defense doesn't worry me as much. They were literally on the field 75% of the game. They were gassed and the offense gave them no breaks.

More optimistically, this could still very well be a 10-2 team. I like Card a lot, but after Saturday, I really want Casey back there. His past 3 performances (going back to the CU game) have been consistent and honestly pretty impressive. And from what I've see from the Big 12 this year, there's no reason why this team couldn't go 9-1 from here on out. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

And from what I've see from the Big 12 this year, there's no reason why this team couldn't go 9-1 from here on out. 

Yep. Iowa State's a paper tiger. 

Oh, don't get me wrong, they'll get up to play UT and OU like it's the friggin' Super Bowl, but it's obvious that overall they're still just a good defense with a so-so offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

I've had a little bit of time to get the negativity out of me from Saturday.

Casey gives you the best chance to win. The offensive line was exposed Saturday, and no offense to Card, but he's not up to speed with how fast the game is at this level. That will come with time. Casey made quick reads and fast decisions. Thats what you need when your offensive line struggles. 

The defense doesn't worry me as much. They were literally on the field 75% of the game. They were gassed and the offense gave them no breaks.

More optimistically, this could still very well be a 10-2 team. I like Card a lot, but after Saturday, I really want Casey back there. His past 3 performances (going back to the CU game) have been consistent and honestly pretty impressive. And from what I've see from the Big 12 this year, there's no reason why this team couldn't go 9-1 from here on out. 

I too think Texas still has room for 9 wins on the schedule despite their struggles. There's just not much in that league that's scary from a talent standpoint. Don't get me wrong those coaches in the big 12 are elite at getting the most out of their guys and all but I just don't think anyone has the horses in the stable to challenge ou and/or Texas. When one of those two  lose to those teams its typcially because they played poorly not usually because the other team is just better. 

So count me on the Texas going 9-3 or 10-2 bandwagon as well. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, LOL said:

Yep. Iowa State's a paper tiger. 

Oh, don't get me wrong, they'll get up to play UT and OU like it's the friggin' Super Bowl, but it's obvious that overall they're still just a good defense with a so-so offense. 

Iowa St. benched Purdy. I think that's the second time that's happened. I just don't see them as good as what everyone makes them out to be. But then again, they are OU's regular season kryptonite. Much like TCU is to Texas

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I too think Texas still has room for 9 wins on the schedule despite their struggles. There's just not much in that league that's scary from a talent standpoint. Don't get me wrong those coaches in the big 12 are elite at getting the most out of their guys and all but I just don't think anyone has the horses in the stable to challenge ou and/or Texas. When one of those two  lose to those teams its typcially because they played poorly not usually because the other team is just better. 

So count me on the Texas going 9-3 or 10-2 bandwagon as well. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. 

On 9/13/2021 at 11:28 AM, Stoney said:

Texas might have a good Big 12 line but they need to invest more effort there in the future. O-line, d-line play is huge. 

The defensive line haul Davis is putting together looks promising but they need to get on the oline recruiting hard.  Make some companies up give the hogs some million dollar nil deals or something.  We need help!!!!

On 9/16/2021 at 4:36 AM, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I fully expect Texas to beat up on Rice especially with the QB change. I see some of y’all were picking closer games . I see this as a blowout.

I fully expect Texas to take care of business and Thompson to solidify his QB1 status.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Baron said:

I fully expect Texas to take care of business and Thompson to solidify his QB1 status.

The problem is taking care of business vs rice is not taking care of business...

Thompson could look great tomorrow and Texas roll over rice, then throw 3ints and Texas lose by 20 to TCU and everyone is talking about the week to OU like they have no clue who the QB is or who Texas is... 

I don't expect this to be the case but my point is I do not think anything is solidified against a team like rice. 

4 minutes ago, WETSU said:

The problem is taking care of business vs rice is not taking care of business...

Thompson could look great tomorrow and Texas roll over rice, then throw 3ints and Texas lose by 20 to TCU and everyone is talking about the week to OU like they have no clue who the QB is or who Texas is... 

I don't expect this to be the case but my point is I do not think anything is solidified against a team like rice. 

Are you sure? What's your rationale behind that other than opinion?

1 minute ago, Baron said:

Are you sure? What's your rationale behind that other than opinion?

My rationale is the talent difference. I think Texas could beat Rice tomorrow with either guy. Its not a question of the qb but the other side. 

I agree that I think Thompson is the guy. I just don't think you can take a QB playing well vs a team the talent level of rice as solidifying his spot. Like I said... If Thompson plays poorly vs TCU are you going to care what he did vs rice? 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

My rationale is the talent difference. I think Texas could beat Rice tomorrow with either guy. Its not a question of the qb but the other side. 

I agree that I think Thompson is the guy. I just don't think you can take a QB playing well vs a team the talent level of rice as solidifying his spot. Like I said... If Thompson plays poorly vs TCU are you going to care what he did vs rice? 

That's why we're not coaches, at least not me. 

If a QB plays as expected against any opponent it should solidify his spot. That's self scouting and coaching.

5 minutes ago, Baron said:

That's why we're not coaches, at least not me. 

If a QB plays as expected against any opponent it should solidify his spot. That's self scouting and coaching.

If that were true then you wouldn't have pulled Card after one bad half vs Arkansas.... He already "solidified" his job beating a top 25 team the week before. 

I'm saying that regardless if you see this as a coach OR fan, if Thompson looks really good tomorrow but then plays like #### and looks awful against TCU or OU in a couple of weeks you won't sit here and be like "he solidified his job because of how well he played vs rice." Texas is in a transition year and they have no identity yet and no proven starter at QB yet. 

Don't take what I'm saying as "well the aggy is saying...." And just blindly disagree because of that. Think about this logically. If Thompson plays well tomorrow but then #### in two weeks will he has solidified himself as the savior of Texas football in your eyes? 

10 minutes ago, WETSU said:

If that were true then you wouldn't have pulled Card after one bad half vs Arkansas.... He already "solidified" his job beating a top 25 team the week before. 

I'm saying that regardless if you see this as a coach OR fan, if Thompson looks really good tomorrow but then plays like #### and looks awful against TCU or OU in a couple of weeks you won't sit here and be like "he solidified his job because of how well he played vs rice." Texas is in a transition year and they have no identity yet and no proven starter at QB yet. 

Don't take what I'm saying as "well the aggy is saying...." And just blindly disagree because of that. Think about this logically. If Thompson plays well tomorrow but then #### in two weeks will he has solidified himself as the savior of Texas football in your eyes? 

Card didn't get pulled because of his performance. It was the same plan as with ULL. Casey came in towards the end of the 3rd qtr. But your right, what if each player waffles and plays well and then stinks? A coach knows that at some point he has to make a decision and stick with it. The issue should be decided after the Tech game.

Here's a take you should read. Darius Terrell is a former UT player, read his take on the UT QB issue

https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2021/09/open-post-weekend-september-17th-19th/

• Mr. P locked this topic