Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

Just now, Baron said:

Card didn't get pulled because of his performance. It was the same plan as with ULL. Casey came in towards the end of the 3rd qtr. But your right, what if each player waffles and plays well and then stinks? A coach knows that at some point he has to make a decision and stick with it. The issue should be decided after the Tech game.

Here's a take you should read. Darius Terrell is a former UT player, read his take on the UT QB issue

Listen I agree at some point you make your choice and roll with it... But nothing will be because of what happens vs rice. You'll get a better look at practice than you will that... I also think its a little telling that Card was named the guy initially but looked so lost last week. Its not like Casey just forgot he was in a QB battle all fall camp... Clearly, regardless of what happens vs rice, there's uncertainty and issues with the handling of the QB room at the moment. 

9 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Listen I agree at some point you make your choice and roll with it... But nothing will be because of what happens vs rice. You'll get a better look at practice than you will that... I also think its a little telling that Card was named the guy initially but looked so lost last week. Its not like Casey just forgot he was in a QB battle all fall camp... Clearly, regardless of what happens vs rice, there's uncertainty and issues with the handling of the QB room at the moment. 

So if a guy is totally inept against Rice, You're saying it shouldn't matter?

21 minutes ago, Baron said:

So if a guy is totally inept against Rice, You're saying it shouldn't matter?

No but if you're just going to argue for the sake of arguing I'll tap out. Ive expressed extremely clear points why you can't just solidify a starting qb spot  against a team who doesn't have a single kid that would start for you. Card already showed that logic to be false with how he played well against a MUCH better than rice but then was yanked after not even a full game a week later. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

If that were true then you wouldn't have pulled Card after one bad half vs Arkansas.... He already "solidified" his job beating a top 25 team the week before. 

I'm saying that regardless if you see this as a coach OR fan, if Thompson looks really good tomorrow but then plays like #### and looks awful against TCU or OU in a couple of weeks you won't sit here and be like "he solidified his job because of how well he played vs rice." Texas is in a transition year and they have no identity yet and no proven starter at QB yet. 

Don't take what I'm saying as "well the aggy is saying...." And just blindly disagree because of that. Think about this logically. If Thompson plays well tomorrow but then #### in two weeks will he has solidified himself as the savior of Texas football in your eyes? 

That last sentence in bold is one thing that we both can agree on. Texas had a good  recruiting class year last year. Sark's class looks very good this year. now lets see if this staff can develop this talent and build depth on both sides of the lines before we get to he SEC. Only thing I worry about this year  is just trying to improve from week to week. 

I agree with @WETSUthis game today shows us nothing.
It’s a good game to get the Oline reps against an opponent that you shouldn’t have problems with. If you do have problems up front then you gotta make changes. 
While I think Thompson is the best QB for this team, this season. It would’ve been nice to have this game in week 2 to give Card another “get your feet wet” game before a big road game. 
I expect a big win tonight but this team can’t “prove” itself until the TCU game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just now, WETSU said:

What's so weird about college football is this rice team gave Arkansas all they could handle just 14 days ago... 

Yeah, which is proof positive that comparing scores is almost meaningless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldschool32 said:

How was the vertical passing game with Thompson starting?  Were they still missing wide open receivers or did that improve as well?  I know it was rice but im just curious about Thompsons ability to complete those.

Thompson was pretty sharp...main thing I noticed was that the Horns played with high energy from the start, really until they shut it down when Card came into the game. They are going to have to play like that start to finish, every game to be contenders. They clearly have a lot of talent and a good play caller...they just have to string that together and play like they expect to win...many times that is showing, maintaining high energy...taking your opponents first punch and responding quickly to it. 

1 hour ago, oldschool32 said:

Unfortunately missed the game Saturday so quick question.  How was the vertical passing game with Thompson starting?  Were they still missing wide open receivers or did that improve as well?  I know it was rice but im just curious about Thompsons ability to complete those.

He threw the ball very well. A lot of that was thanks to the running game opening up pass plays.

I think the team has more confidence in Thompson than Card right now. They just seem to play with a little more fire when Casey is in the game.

3 hours ago, oldschool32 said:

Unfortunately missed the game Saturday so quick question.  How was the vertical passing game with Thompson starting?  Were they still missing wide open receivers or did that improve as well?  I know it was rice but im just curious about Thompsons ability to complete those.

To really answer your question: He threw 3 deep balls, he was hit on 2 with one resulting in an INT and the other falling incomplete, the 3rd deep ball fell incomplete but Worthy was tripped up on the route and no flag was thrown. 

Thompson threw the ball well but he wasn’t asked to do much, he was 15-18. Early on he threw a 4-5 bubble screens. He had a nice 15yd throw to Wiley on a wheel route that was a great play design. He hit Dixon on a 3rd and 17 over the middle on a dig route. He connected with Worthy often, once on a 4th & 4 that Worthy lived up about 15-20 yds of YAC and he hit Worthy on a beautiful back shoulder fade for a TD. 

The RBs owned this game and all 4 looked great. The offense looked good but, for me at least, we still don’t know what Thompson brings except on the sidelines the team does gravitate to him. 

We can break down all day how Thompson looked, but the real question that should be being asked by anyone that didn't watch the game, 'How did the OL look?'. And to answer that question....bad. So much of what was done offensively in this game was due to the Texas skill position players simply being better than every Rice defender on the field. When it came to the lines, even the Rice DL was in the Texas backfield nearly every play. Even as great a game as the RB's had, they were getting hit the moment they took the ball. 

This is why you can't become overly optimistic simply for beating Rice 58-0. While there aren't any dominant DL's in the B12, they're all better than what Rice can put on the field. How many games Texas wins this year will still come down to that...line play, both sides of the ball. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

We can break down all day how Thompson looked, but the real question that should be being asked by anyone that didn't watch the game, 'How did the OL look?'. And to answer that question....bad. So much of what was done offensively in this game was due to the Texas skill position players simply being better than every Rice defender on the field. When it came to the lines, even the Rice DL was in the Texas backfield nearly every play. Even as great a game as the RB's had, they were getting hit the moment they took the ball. 

This is why you can't become overly optimistic simply for beating Rice 58-0. While there aren't any dominant DL's in the B12, they're all better than what Rice can put on the field. How many games Texas wins this year will still come down to that...line play, both sides of the ball. 

Like this post. This should be Sarks #1 problem to fix when he got here. Both sides of the line have to improve to get to championship level but none more drastically than the O-line.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2021 at 12:21 PM, Lobo97 said:

The OL play is concerning but there were some good holes opened in the Rice game, but then again it's Rice. Tech will be a good barometer for gauging any improvement. The play of the DL has been solid and disappointing, as in they haven't made the splash or dominate the way some thought they would. Kwiatkowski will fix that.

Some might be overly optimistic after the Rice game, but Texas did do what they were supposed to against an inferior foe, unlike the previous regime.

• Mr. P locked this topic