Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

5 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

There’s a different generation coming through.  They don’t believe in proving themselves and earning something.  There are so few players (percentage-wise) that make it to the nfl.  I hate seeing kids leave early chasing a contract to go undrafted when they could stay, develop, and finish a degree that can help them the rest of their life even if the still don’t get drafted.  

Especially if they still don’t get drafted.

18 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

There’s a different generation coming through.  They don’t believe in proving themselves and earning something.  There are so few players (percentage-wise) that make it to the nfl.  I hate seeing kids leave early chasing a contract to go undrafted when they could stay, develop, and finish a degree that can help them the rest of their life even if the still don’t get drafted.  

Gotta wonder who in the hell is advising these kids...  if I'm someone like Eagles, I an't coming out unless I'm a lock for somewhere in the first three rounds. The league is saturated with free agent wideouts. A buyer's market. He should've stayed at least another year to raise his profile. 

2 minutes ago, LOL said:

Gotta wonder who in the hell is advising these kids...  if I'm someone like Eagles, I an't coming out unless I'm a lock for somewhere in the first three rounds. The league is saturated with free agent wideouts. A buyer's market. He should've stayed at least another year to raise his profile. 

Their family, their friends and any agent that can get them to sign a contract.  

I read somewhere that Eagles was  academically ineligible early spring and wasn’t going to classes to work on it.  

• Sad 1
  • Roll Eyes 1

Just now, DB2point0 said:

Their family, their friends and any agent that can get them to sign a contract.  

Yeah, but isn't there some kinda independent resource that gives college prospects a draft grade without penalizing their eligibility? Surely someone somewhere along the line told him he might have to settle for UFA status. Surely. 

Just now, LOL said:

Yeah, but isn't there some kinda independent resource that gives college prospects a draft grade without penalizing their eligibility? Surely someone somewhere along the line told him he might have to settle for UFA status. Surely. 

Yes there’s a board/panel that gives them a draft grade according to several factors.  The coaching staff will have sit downs with the players as well for discussion too.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Yes there’s a board/panel that gives them a draft grade according to several factors.  The coaching staff will have sit downs with the players as well for discussion too.  

Man...  no excuse. Like I said: if I'm poised to have a breakout season, ain't no way in Hades I'm coming out for anything other than primo dolla-dolla bills y'all. 

28 minutes ago, LOL said:

Man...  no excuse. Like I said: if I'm poised to have a breakout season, ain't no way in Hades I'm coming out for anything other than primo dolla-dolla bills y'all. 

The NFL changed the rookie contracts  a few years back.  The signing bonuses are still lucrative but I think there’s a cap on the rookie contracts and they’re only for 3 years.  I think that’s correct, if not Somebody that knows for sure might want to jump in here and tell us.  So kids are wanting to leave early to get the rookie contract in place so they can get to the bigger contract quicker.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

The NFL changed the rookie contracts  a few years back.  The signing bonuses are still lucrative but I think there’s a cap on the rookie contracts and they’re only for 3 years.  I think that’s correct, if not Somebody that knows for sure might want to jump in here and tell us.  So kids are wanting to leave early to get the rookie contract in place so they can get to the bigger contract quicker.  

Ah, well, then maybe it makes sense from a certain point of view... 

I guess I'm just an old fart who still believes in outdated concepts like tradition, honor, and return-on-investment. 

3 hours ago, LOL said:

Ah, well, then maybe it makes sense from a certain point of view... 

I guess I'm just an old fart who still believes in outdated concepts like tradition, honor, and return-on-investment. 

I think more kids should share our thoughts on it.  There are no guarantees in the nfl.  Stay in college, finish degree, let them develop you, put more film/stats together and work for the bigger rookie signing bonus, especially if the advisory board is giving you a low round grade.  Practice squads don’t pay much 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think more kids should share our thoughts on it.  There are no guarantees in the nfl.  Stay in college, finish degree, let them develop you, put more film/stats together and work for the bigger rookie signing bonus, especially if the advisory board is giving you a low round grade.  Practice squads don’t pay much 

Agreed. I felt the same about LilJordan Humphrey. In my opinion, Humphrey had a stronger case for going pro than Eagles. He had more "big plays" and in-season hype. 

Other than Iowa State, dude was a non-factor this past season. Had he returned, I guarantee you he'd be a primary target for whoever the next QB is gonna be. Regardless of UT's win-loss record, Eagles would've had plenty of highlights to leverage into decent draft position. Heck, depending on the breaks, he might've even been in contention for some awards/honors. 

I just don't get it. 

5 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Watching an ESPN special that follows rookie NFL players they were all talking about their "re-sign." It's not about the rookie contract for 90% of the rookie players. It's about working hard to get a 2nd contract that will be much more. They guys were sitting around a big table outside of a restaurant literally talking about the first things they were going to buy with their 2nd contract money.

2 hours ago, LOL said:

Agreed. I felt the same about LilJordan Humphrey. In my opinion, Humphrey had a stronger case for going pro than Eagles. He had more "big plays" and in-season hype. 

Other than Iowa State, dude was a non-factor this past season. Had he returned, I guarantee you he'd be a primary target for whoever the next QB is gonna be. Regardless of UT's win-loss record, Eagles would've had plenty of highlights to leverage into decent draft position. Heck, depending on the breaks, he might've even been in contention for some awards/honors. 

I just don't get it. 

Eagles was having issues making it to class.  His grades were falling badly

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Eagles was having issues making it to class.  His grades were falling badly

there-it-is.gif

Can't hack it, with all the support structures UT has in place? Geeez... 

I doubt he lasts more than a couple years in the league, and mostly on practice squads. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ETXfan16 said:

Texas baseball moves up to #2 in the poll.

Think if they'd went with Hansen as the Sunday starter sooner they wouldn't have lost all 3 final games against Baylor, OU, amd OK State, which is what's keeping them 1 game back of TCU.  This team has the pitching and defense to make a run to Omaha.  The bullpen could use another arm or two to step up, as outside of Witt, Nixon, and Quintanilla I don't think anybody else is reliable in a clutch situation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I’m not sure if I’ve seen a player opt out of his senior year of football. 

Reading this... does he have an agent?  It sure as hell sounds that way.  How is he going to enhance his field training without coaching?  

Now if he was like "I am still going to work out in athletics and run track in the spring." I would be ok with it.  This all sounds rehearsed like some "smart" adult is telling him what he needs to do. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic