Longhorns 2021 Thread🤘🏼

ETXfan16

39 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Pretty sure Kwiatkowski's resume speaks for itself. 

I think the Texas staff is well put together for the most part but idk if I would call them better than the clemson staff which is the comparison made. 

15 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

I'd also say Drayton and Bo Davis are above average.  I'm in wait and see mode with how Joseph and Gideon do with the secondary.

The term all star cast IMO needs to be better than "above average" and "wait and see mode." The DC is a great hire. Banks is a great hire. Flood is a very good hire. But that's as close at it gets to "all star" staff IMO. Even Sark is very unproven anywhere but Bama, and he was only there 2 years. He basically took over a team that already had 9 first round draft picks on offense and he didnt recruit them. Me and you could have put up points with those guys. 

Like I said this staff is a solid staff. No doubt an upgrade. But an all star staff? Better than clemson staff? Let's be at least a little open minded here guys. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I mean you just implied that the staff at Texas is better than the staff at Clemson. I just don't understand that thought process but to each his own. I was simply curious. 

Close, but no cigar.

On 6/25/2021 at 8:38 PM, WETSU said:

The term all star cast IMO needs to be better than "above average" and "wait and see mode." The DC is a great hire. Banks is a great hire. Flood is a very good hire. But that's as close at it gets to "all star" staff IMO. 

I guess I should have phrased it better on Drayton and Bo Davis.  What exactly are we considering to be "elite"?  Drayton and Davis both have a history of bringing in blue chip/5* recruits and development at multiple big time programs, in addition to coaching in the NFL.  I never said this staff is better than Clemson's, maybe someone else did??

I think the main reason Texas fans are excited/optimistic is that the new staff is clearly an upgrade over what we had, and the hope is these 1 possession losses by 3-7 points to TCU/ISU/OU by Herman and his merry band of misfits will turn into wins.

26 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

I think the main reason Texas fans are excited/optimistic is that the new staff is clearly an upgrade over what we had, and the hope is these 1 possession losses by 3-7 points to TCU/ISU/OU by Herman and his merry band of misfits will turn into wins.

How do you know this staff is clearly better. Sark as a HC is still unclear. Even as an OC I question him because who couldn't look good with 9 first round players starting for you the last 2 years and you didnt recruit a single one of them... None of his other stops were even remotely that productive. So yes he's still a question mark. 

And many of Hermans assistants were thought to be good until they weren't at Texas. I guess I'm just not understanding how this staff is "clearly" an upgrade... I think as a fan you're completely justified in the optimism. I just feel a wait and see approach is advisable. This same exact discussion was had with strong and with herman. 

6 minutes ago, WETSU said:

How do you know this staff is clearly better. Sark as a HC is still unclear. Even as an OC I question him because who couldn't look good with 9 first round players starting for you the last 2 years and you didnt recruit a single one of them... None of his other stops were even remotely that productive. So yes he's still a question mark. 

And many of Hermans assistants were thought to be good until they weren't at Texas. I guess I'm just not understanding how this staff is "clearly" an upgrade... I think as a fan you're completely justified in the optimism. I just feel a wait and see approach is advisable. This same exact discussion was had with strong and with herman. 

Flood, Kwiatkowski, Davis, and Banks are massive upgrades with what was in those positions previously.  If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you.  Sark is going to call plays which he didn't at USC or UW.  You mention the other spots, he took over a winless UW program and had them bowl eligible in year 2.  The USC stop is well known.

Ya'll were the same way with Cheif, Jim Turner round 2,ect.

12 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Flood, Kwiatkowski, Davis, and Banks are massive upgrades with what was in those positions previously.  If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you.  Sark is going to call plays which he didn't at USC or UW.  You mention the other spots, he took over a winless UW program and had them bowl eligible in year 2.  The USC stop is well known.

Ya'll were the same way with Cheif, Jim Turner round 2,ect.

Time will tell. I do like some of the hires. I'm not saying that staff is worse by any means. I just don't think its apparent they are "clearly better" to me. Not compared to the names some of the Herman hires had before they came. Its easy now to say those hires didn't work out, but thats not what was said at the time. This is just a very similar situation and I feel like it should be wait and see mode. No harm in you guys getting optimistic I just was sharing my two cents. And it has nothing to do with me "hating." I would be saying the same things regardless of the school. Hell I was even skeptical of some of Fishers hires initially. Perhaps Cheif left a bad taste in my mouth like you said. 

22 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Outside of the 2 years at Alabama what has people convinced that Kyle Flood is so great?

What guys has he developed in the past before Alabama?

I am legitimately asking.

Its the same situation with Sark. If you take away two years at bama Texas fans would be burning the 40 acres down in protest of the hire... There were 9 first rounders on that bama offense that they had to work with that they did not have a hand in recruiting. 

I like the DC hire, but I think there's still lots of questions surrounding this staff IMO. I certainly do not feel safe calling them an "all star staff" or clearly better than the last staff. Possibly they will be better but I could also see this staff being gone in 3-4 years just as easily. 

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Its the same situation with Sark. If you take away two years at bama Texas fans would be burning the 40 acres down in protest of the hire... There were 9 first rounders on that bama offense that they had to work with that they did not have a hand in recruiting. 

I like the DC hire, but I think there's still lots of questions surrounding this staff IMO. I certainly do not feel safe calling them an "all star staff" or clearly better than the last staff. Possibly they will be better but I could also see this staff being gone in 3-4 years just as easily. 

I questioned the Sark hire myself.  He is a great offensive mind, but outside of 2 years at Bama he’s been meh.  That was while he was having his personal issues and dealing with drinking demons.  I’m hoping he’s matured a lot the last 3-4 years being under a bunch of more professional all business type coaches.  I think his best two hires were the DC and Davis with Banks being right there.  He is a great recruiter and TE coach with ST background.  Saban saw enough out of flood to hire him.  Yes their two deep was full of blue chips but flood had the ready to play as a unit.  I’m cautiously optimistic about this fall. 

2 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I think they will be competitive but you basically had that with Herman. I can see why there is optimism. 

Herman coaches not to lose, and would take his foot off the gas.  He got comfortable with small leads and a DC that wasn’t good against the spread.

I think (hope) Sark will have a different mentality and philosophy.  

• Like 1

I'm not making any predictions about the season until I see the product on the field. After the past 10 years, I've learned it's better if I don't set my expectations high until I have a reason too. 

I do like the coaching staff. I think the difference between Sark and Herman is mainly mindset. Herman was passive. Just wanted to play it safe and play to not lose. I think that was his downfall (among other things), but there were close games he absolutely should not have lost just because he played to not lose and it cost him. That started to become evident his last two seasons and it made him look really weak imo.

I don't get that vibe with Sark. His staff is pretty stellar (I won't say all-star because apparently that's incorrect), but I've been impressed with who he's brought in and the way he's recruited. I'm excited to see how it all comes together. As far as predictions for this season, I'll sit this one out.

55 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I'm not making any predictions about the season until I see the product on the field. After the past 10 years, I've learned it's better if I don't set my expectations high until I have a reason too. 

I do like the coaching staff. I think the difference between Sark and Herman is mainly mindset. Herman was passive. Just wanted to play it safe and play to not lose. I think that was his downfall (among other things), but there were close games he absolutely should not have lost just because he played to not lose and it cost him. That started to become evident his last two seasons and it made him look really weak imo.

I don't get that vibe with Sark. His staff is pretty stellar (I won't say all-star because apparently that's incorrect), but I've been impressed with who he's brought in and the way he's recruited. I'm excited to see how it all comes together. As far as predictions for this season, I'll sit this one out.

It’s funny that Herman actually was passive.  His offense (and defense) was always based on physicality.  He did have a mindset that tried to be more physical than opponents, and that mindset led him to be very predictable in offensive play calling.  Everybody knew when he was going to run QB Power, especially opposing coaches.  Then in certain games he’d open the playbook (OU) and build a huge lead then turtle up and go in a shell.  It was very odd.

im with you on the staff, there are extremely bright spots there, and some not as proven.  Wait, See.

4 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

It’s funny that Herman actually was passive.  His offense (and defense) was always based on physicality.  He did have a mindset that tried to be more physical than opponents, and that mindset led him to be very predictable in offensive play calling.  Everybody knew when he was going to run QB Power, especially opposing coaches.  Then in certain games he’d open the playbook (OU) and build a huge lead then turtle up and go in a shell.  It was very odd.

im with you on the staff, there are extremely bright spots there, and some not as proven.  Wait, See.

Agreed. He certainly did not like getting out of his comfort zone play calling wise. Just when you think he was getting aggressive, he'd pull back.

Like watching your kid start making their way to the deep end of the pool, only to swim back to she shallow end 

I think if Herman had a team that was 10 point underdogs in 10 conference games, he would probably go 3 -7 to maybe even 6-4...................And if Herman was 10 point favorites in 10 conference games he would have the same type record......................His teams looked prepared for big games, and they looked like they were ready for a scrimmage when playing much weaker competition -----------leading to some weaker opponents staying close into the 4th quarter and sometimes/often winning.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Texas has won the Directors Cup! Best athletics department in the country. First time in school history. First time in 25 years it has gone to a school not named Stanford. Hook'em!

What sports were the national titles in?

• LOL! 1

On 7/2/2021 at 3:09 PM, Valhalla said:

What sports were the national titles in?

This is like Argyle winning the same type thing in 4A every year. Nice accomplishment, but you ain’t done anything in football then who cares??

……baseball and basketball too, but mainly football

• Mr. P locked this topic