👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

27 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I have high hopes for the offense. This team is talented. Id feel better if Haynes had a feeling starts under his belt but I'm confident regardless. Mainly because I expect the defense to be elite and the offense will likely have some room for freshman mistakes. He will need to show up big to beat bama though. 

That was my one hang up about last year. There was an opportunity for King to have gotten some more snaps than he wound up with. If we can cut back on the turnovers, especially pick 6’s), we should be able to hang with them. If this can gel on offense before the Bama game, then I like our chances.

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I think the WR corps is going to really surprise this year. I really think Mond either wasn't capable of finding the open guy deep or was too gun shy to attempt it. Soo many times I saw guys breaking free down field just to see mond throw a dart on a 8 yard route to Wydermeyer who had a DB all over him. Don't get me wrong Mond executed that throw well and extended drives but it really would have been nice to see him hit that throw down field at least once or twice a game. Florida was the only game I felt like he even looked downfield. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I think King is going to recognize that route and has the touch to hit it so I think we will see a little more explosion from the WR position because of it. 

If A&M is going to take that final step up then that has to happen. They have got to be more explosive on offense.

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

That was my one hang up about last year. There was an opportunity for King to have gotten some more snaps than he wound up with. If we can cut back on the turnovers, especially pick 6’s), we should be able to hang with them. If this can gel on offense before the Bama game, then I like our chances.

Yea last year that pick 6 turned the game. It was well within reach but a really poor few minutes right before the half and right after the half really ruined any chance. 

I do agree King should have gotten more reps last year. There were plenty of games where you could have given him even a series just to get his feet wet. Miss st and Arkansas at the very least were games that A&M lead by 24+ at some point. I understand keeping your foot on the gas and not risking letting a team get back in it, but would it really have killed Fisher or the offense to just let King get in and run some clock while running a few plays. The offense was playing it safe anyways so even if you just let King run 3 plays and kill 2min then punt its better than nothing...

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Mond didn’t turn it over all that much

12 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Mond didn’t turn it over all that much

But when he did it was costly. That pick 6 against Bama came in 7 point game minutes before the half that blew it open. 

I still think without that pick 6 A&M is in the playoff. They would have lost that game to bama in the end, but without that huge swing I think it would have been a 14-17 point game instead of 24. And that extra TD is likely what kept A&M out if we are being honest. The committee can forgive a 14 point loss on the road in week 2. They are less inclined to forgive a 24 point loss as we saw. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2021 at 4:12 AM, WETSU said:

But when he did it was costly. That pick 6 against Bama came in 7 point game minutes before the half that blew it open. 

I still think without that pick 6 A&M is in the playoff. They would have lost that game to bama in the end, but without that huge swing I think it would have been a 14-17 point game instead of 24. And that extra TD is likely what kept A&M out if we are being honest. The committee can forgive a 14 point loss on the road in week 2. They are less inclined to forgive a 24 point loss as we saw. 

Meh. It was costly but I feel like that game was lost when Anias Smith dropped a 4th down pass that would've surely been a TD. 

Either way, I think things worked out for us. We weren't beating Bama anyway, and winning an Orange Bowl was better than getting shellacked by Bama a 2nd time. 

• Thanks 1

I want to win enough games convincingly to show the talking heads that we belong in the talks with the upper echelon teams. I’ve already ran my mouth off about October 9th to my coworkers. I could eat some crow that weekend. I’m confident about the defense. If the offense can mature enough before then is the question. Hope to heck the injury bug stays away. I think I’m at the point where 9 wins would be a small disappointment. 10 wins should be doable. 

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

I want to win enough games convincingly to show the talking heads that we belong in the talks with the upper echelon teams. I’ve already ran my mouth off about October 9th to my coworkers. I could eat some crow that weekend. I’m confident about the defense. If the offense can mature enough before then is the question. Hope to heck the injury bug stays away. I think I’m at the point where 9 wins would be a small disappointment. 10 wins should be doable. 

Man 10 wins should be a disappointment. LSU is still a question mark but it is a toss up at worst honestly. I'll be very disappointed in this season if they lose 2 regular season games. You won't get a much deeper/experienced defense and there are enough playmakers on offense to stay in games when you have a defense like that. For that reason I have us at 11-1. More so because I expect Auburn to be in full rebuild mode and lsu is the only other team talent wise that matches up with us and I don't know if they will have it all together this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WETSU said:

Man 10 wins should be a disappointment. LSU is still a question mark but it is a toss up at worst honestly. I'll be very disappointed in this season if they lose 2 regular season games. You won't get a much deeper/experienced defense and there are enough playmakers on offense to stay in games when you have a defense like that. For that reason I have us at 11-1. More so because I expect Auburn to be in full rebuild mode and lsu is the only other team talent wise that matches up with us and I don't know if they will have it all together this year. 

DB posts that roller-coaster meme in 3... 2... 1...  

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

14 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Wet, I’ll make it SDC official. Lot of games between now and October 9th, but if King and the o-line are healthy and playing good, I think we knock off Bama.

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Wet, I’ll make it SDC official. Lot of games between now and October 9th, but if King and the o-line are healthy and playing good, I think we knock off Bama.

I will ride the lightning with you my friend. I'll be there to witness the GOAT finally lose to one of his students. Stage one of the passing of the baton will be complete. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

I will admit the schedule is set up perfectly for A&M to make a run. No real test early gives King and company plenty of time to get comfortable at game speed. The only downside will be the jump in talent level when they do play Alabama. Those passing lanes won't be open near as long as the previous weeks. Could be a fun year for the Aggies.

31 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I will admit the schedule is set up perfectly for A&M to make a run. No real test early gives King and company plenty of time to get comfortable at game speed. The only downside will be the jump in talent level when they do play Alabama. Those passing lanes won't be open near as long as the previous weeks. Could be a fun year for the Aggies.

Coworker said he’s okay losing to Bama. Go 11-1, get in the CFP and let the chips fall.

9 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Coworker said he’s okay losing to Bama. Go 11-1, get in the CFP and let the chips fall.

The only way I see that is if its a VERY tight game with bama and then A&M wins convincingly against the rest. They will also need either OU or Clemson to look mortal throughout the season and lose a game or two as well. 

Playoff hopes live and die October 9th IMO. 

• LOL! 1

46 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I agree. They will be tested by arkansas but they are the favorite in every game but bama and possibly lsu on the road depending how lsu rebounds. This is why I think 10 wins is a letdown. You have to split lsu/bama and win the rest for this to be a year you can live with as an A&M fan. The time is now. Other teams in the division are down, bama is replacing basically its entire offense, and A&M returns 20 of its 22 defensive players and brings back the majority of its offense besides QB and a few non drafted Oline players. A&M will have some really good teams over the next few years but they may not have a schedule this good with this much uncertainty in the division. 

Like Stoney, its do or die for me as well. I'll sit here in early August and call Bama a must win game. 

• LOL! 1

7 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Eh I’m a little less bullish. Replacing a lot of the OL and having a new QB. 

In a normal year I'm with you. But the entire schedule is replacing just as much or more... And many staffs had a lot of coaching turnover as well while A&M had none. We are as experienced and stable as we will ever be in relation to the others. New QB or not there needs to be a real sense of urgency to get over that hump this year. 

17 hours ago, WETSU said:

A&M is on fire... 

We got Smoke!!! That Nick Williams hiring is paying off. Bear has a final two of us and Georgia. We in the running for a couple more 4*,5* DL. The secondary is looking like it will be loaded when Humphrey flips from Florida. Jacoby Mathews could be headed to CS. If this class can work on flipping Banks and/or Dewberry this could be a top 3 class. 244.3 points with 14 commits. #7 ranked class.

10 minutes ago, Stoney said:

We got Smoke!!! That Nick Williams hiring is paying off. Bear has a final two of us and Georgia. We in the running for a couple more 4*,5* DL. The secondary is looking like it will be loaded when Humphrey flips from Florida. Jacoby Mathews could be headed to CS. If this class can work on flipping Banks and/or Dewberry this could be a top 3 class. 244.3 points with 14 commits. #7 ranked class.

I do think they finish in the top 3. This dline class specifically is going to be filthy. Jimbo is building an elite team talent wise. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sportsfanatic1 said:

So did Chavis according to you lol

I mean I laid my bet down and was wrong. No shame in that. Not really sure what it has to do with talking about what Jimbo is currently doing but if it makes you feel better big guy go ahead. Wouldn't want to upset your little feelings and get banned before right in the middle of fall camp. Nothing to see here chief. 

• LOL! 1

Did Chavis give up or did Chavis acclimate to the staff around him? I don’t think anyone at the time of the hire expected him to coast. Sumlin’s recruiting emphasis and Jimbo’s is two different styles. I think you see a lot more input under Elko and his defensive coaches of what they want on that side of the ball. It’s a cohesive unit. Sumlin was the opposite of that. Jimbo/Elko put emphasis on the d-line and strength up the middle. There’s some massive boys on the d-line who can stop the run and still get after the QB. The LBs aren’t having OL get to them at the 2nd level. They can clean up the play. Safeties are good about coming up against the run, they can get beat over the top though. Cornerbacks are looking like we’ll have some veterans with some up coming talent.

• Mr. P locked this topic