👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

On 9/5/2021 at 8:21 PM, WETSU said:

Overall I am pleased with what I saw. Lots of room for improvement but not a team that is taking a "step back" either. It was clear that this team had a much higher ceiling with King than they did under Mond. Mond was solid and had a higher floor but King already in 4 quarters of football does things that Mond couldn't do in 4 years. 

Man, I think you might need to take the maroon sunglasses off. This is the worst defense he will face all season. I know he is an east texas boy and it's a local feel good story, but he doesn't look ready to compete for a SEC title. 

10 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Man, I think you might need to take the maroon sunglasses off. This is the worst defense he will face all season. I know he is an east texas boy and it's a local feel good story, but he doesn't look ready to compete for a SEC title. 

The typical throw the rookie under the bus guy after 1 game.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, eagle34 said:

I think maybe you need to take your orange glasses off . Don't look at the stat line line. Go back and watch the game. He was calm in the pocket, he made the right reads and went to the right guy 90% of the time and even improved within the game. If you take away 2 tipped passes that resulted in interceptions it was a very solid performance for a first time starter regardless of competition level. 

Jimbo didnt protect him. He could have easily just let the RBs carry the team because honestly A&M could have probably won this game without even attempting a pass. But instead he let haynes push the ball downfield. I think we even saw more vertical stuff by design than we saw under a senior mond. So don't let the stat line fool you. Go watch the game.  King was fine and will be solid throughout the year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, WETSU said:

I think maybe you need to take your orange glasses off . Don't look at the stat line line. Go back and watch the game. He was calm in the pocket, he made the right reads and went to the right guy 90% of the time and even improved within the game. If you take away 2 tipped passes that resulted in interceptions it was a very solid performance for a first time starter regardless of competition level. 

Jimbo didnt protect him. He could have easily just let the RBs carry the team because honestly A&M could have probably won this game without even attempting a pass. But instead he let haynes push the ball downfield. I think we even saw more vertical stuff by design than we saw under a senior mond. So don't let the stat line fool you. Go watch the game.  King was fine and will be solid throughout the year. 

I watched the game and agree he looked like a typical freshman, which is not good for a team hoping to compete for a SEC or National championship. On another note did you see what the Alabama freshman QB looked like. Why are you bringing up the Longhorns, nobody is saying they are Natty contenders with their freshman QB. Is this the best option you have on campus? 

39 minutes ago, LOL said:

I think it's too early to crown or condemn either of them, but I was impressed with both of them in their first starts. 

If that’s a bad game for King I can’t wait to see a good one from him. Maybe October 9th?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, LOL said:

I think it's too early to crown or condemn either of them, but I was impressed with both of them in their first starts. 

This is all I'm saying. Just because Haynes didnt look like a heisman candidate in his first ever start doesn't mean the aggies season is doomed. He did some things very well and even made some throws/plays that Mond didnt even make last year so I know he's capable. I think he just read the stat line and didnt watch the game. 3ints looks really ugly but two were to the right guys but were tipped by a defensive lineman and a wr running the wrong route. He made some mistakes but its still way too early to think A&M needs to find his replacement or the season is lost...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Stoney said:

If that’s a bad game for King I can’t wait to see a good one from him. Maybe October 9th?

The thing that stood out to me was poise and memory. He was very calm and decisive the entire game. He also bounced back from his mistakes with short term memory loss the way all good QBs do. He kept pressing. 

I didnt see anything that makes me "nervous" about the season out of Haynes. Jimbo challenged him and he responded well. He will only get better from here. Yes he will need to play better to beat bama but does anyone honestly think there will be no improvement from start 1 to start 6 for a qb? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stoney said:

How was the game management? How many times did we have to call timeout or have a delay of game penalty? 

One timeout but more on the sideline than King IMO. 

The speed was better. King was able to get the play out and make his pre-snap reads and adjustments faster than Mond. While not "fast" by any means the tempo was quicker than what they ran under Mond. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

3ints looks really ugly but two were to the right guys but were tipped by a defensive lineman and a wr running the wrong route.

Watching the game live—then going back and watching him play-by-play—my main takeaway is that 95 percent of the time, Haynes made the correct read and reaction. In my unqualified opinion that's impressive for a QB making his first start, regardless of the competition. 

As you pointed out: two of the picks were circumstantial, the other was a legit blunder. That doesn't excuse the other two necessarily, but context is important. If you're going to grade a QB's performance with objectivity, you've got to look at more than just the raw numbers. 

Watching this game utterly indifferent about the outcome (though certainly wanting the best for Haynes), I could tell almost immediately that Jimbo was calling an extremely uncharacteristic game. He seemed almost deliberate in not leaning on the run game until absolutely necessary. Instead, he seemed to be putting his young QB in situations where he would have to make the right read in order for the play to be successful.

Fisher could've totally just pounded the rock and rolled up 50+ points. Instead he leaned more on rollouts and downfield passing. Even without that big Sportscenter moment that drew hasty comparisons to you-know-who, my honest take is that Haynes King rose to the occasion.

No, I don't think he's ready to attempt 50 passes against the Alabamas or Ohio States of college football, but I think he's already a solid counterpart to the Aggies dynamic backfield, and he has every indication of an extremely bright future in College Station. 

2 hours ago, LOL said:

Watching the game live—then going back and watching him play-by-play—my main takeaway is that 95 percent of the time, Haynes made the correct read and reaction. In my unqualified opinion that's impressive for a QB making his first start, regardless of the competition. 

As you pointed out: two of the picks were circumstantial, the other was a legit blunder. That doesn't excuse the other two necessarily, but context is important. If you're going to grade a QB's performance with objectivity, you've got to look at more than just the raw numbers. 

Watching this game utterly indifferent about the outcome (though certainly wanting the best for Haynes), I could tell almost immediately that Jimbo was calling an extremely uncharacteristic game. He seemed almost deliberate in not leaning on the run game until absolutely necessary. Instead, he seemed to be putting his young QB in situations where he would have to make the right read in order for the play to be successful.

Fisher could've totally just pounded the rock and rolled up 50+ points. Instead he leaned more on rollouts and downfield passing. Even without that big Sportscenter moment that drew hasty comparisons to you-know-who, my honest take is that Haynes King rose to the occasion.

No, I don't think he's ready to attempt 50 passes against the Alabamas or Ohio States of college football, but I think he's already a solid counterpart to the Aggies dynamic backfield, and he has every indication of an extremely bright future in College Station. 

This is perfect analysis. Jimbo absolutely used this as a glorified scrimmage. He tested Haynes both vertically and in situational play calling and like you said, the kid was in the right protection and making the right throw the vast majority of the game. Some people see that stat line and are discouraged but I see that film breakdown and am very impressed. Like I said before, King opened up aspects of the offense even mond hadn't really touched yet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This is perfect analysis. Jimbo absolutely used this as a glorified scrimmage. He tested Haynes both vertically and in situational play calling and like you said, the kid was in the right protection and making the right throw the vast majority of the game. Some people see that stat line and are discouraged but I see that film breakdown and am very impressed. Like I said before, King opened up aspects of the offense even mond hadn't really touched yet. 

Fwiw, I thought Hudson Card played well too...  but that is another thread.  ;) 

7 minutes ago, LOL said:

Fwiw, I thought Hudson Card played well too...  but that is another thread.  ;) 

I didnt even watch the game so I'm not going to comment one way or another. But even if he played bad he deserves more than 1 start before we start saying he's awful or not. 

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic