👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

15 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Again we have a spread I swear we won’t cover. Then we do but don’t play well and it feels weird. 

OL is moving guys around a lot but they’ve got to play better if we are going to have a chance next weekend against a salty Arkansas team. 

Did not watch the game. How did the Trainor kid from Hallsville do? Mince no words.

10 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Always thought that he was a project at best. To me he was recruited based upon size only.

I agree completely and always have. Seems like a good kid but he's just not a player worthy of playing for a top 10 team. I know he only was playing because A&M was resting a nicked up RG and slid Green down to RG to replace him. This to me says more about the interior depth. They chose to get abused all game long at tackle because they do not have anyone that can play inside besides Green. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

I agree completely and always have. Seems like a good kid but he's just not a player worthy of playing for a top 10 team. I know he only was playing because A&M was resting a nicked up RG and slid Green down to RG to replace him. This to me says more about the interior depth. They chose to get abused all game long at tackle because they do not have anyone that can play inside besides Green. 

Agree. But at least he can say that he played D1 at a major university and hopefully parlays that into something credible post football. Good for him.

I watched Josh Cochran dominate at Hallsville at RT and he went to the Horns and started as a freshman. Unfortunately injuries derailed his career. Never saw the dominance with Trainor.

4 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

Agree. But at least he can say that he played D1 at a major university and hopefully parlays that into something credible post football. Good for him.

I watched Josh Cochran dominate at Hallsville at RT and he went to the Horns and started as a freshman. Unfortunately injuries derailed his career. Never saw the dominance with Trainor.

Yea he always seemed like the kind of kid that walks on. His only legitimate top 25 offer was A&M. The rest was programs like La Tech and handful of mid majors. I think maybe arkansas as well. 

I dont know his families financial stuff but you honestly might have been able to offer this kid as a preferred walk on and made him earn the scholly and he might have taken it. 

Luke Mathews just seems injury prone. Bryce Foster starting because he won the job or because Mathews can’t stay healthy? Probably both. Chris Morris is at a JUCO now because he couldn’t stay away from the police. He could have been guard/tackle. Jordan Jefferson ate up a spot. Props to the kid for getting into A&M. He’s a kid that’s not going to contribute any on the field success. Wykoff isn’t the physical freak Foster is. Good news is ‘22 is looking like another good o-line class. Might have to watch the portal for some vet help on the line. I heard Fatheree got reps at both tackle spots?

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I figure you're being sarcastic but Miami and App st aren't terrible games. They are both fringe top 25 teams most years. 

Miami and App State are 2 good games. Sam Houston is better than UMASS lol. Actually a good schedule. Miami’s is a top 25 type team. App State is a dang good group of 5. Sam is better than more than a handful of group of 5 teams, and UMASS is the cupcake. Nothing wrong with that schedule at all. 

• Like 1

Alabama 2022 OOC- Utah State, Texas, UL Monroe, Austin Peay

LSU 2022 OOC- FSU, Southern, New Mexico, UAB

Auburn 2022 OOC- Mercer, San Jose State, Penn State, Western Kentucky

Is A&M’s OOC as bad as the rest of the West’s? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Alabama 2022 OOC- Utah State, Texas, UL Monroe, Austin Peay

LSU 2022 OOC- FSU, Southern, New Mexico, UAB

Auburn 2022 OOC- Mercer, San Jose State, Penn State, Western Kentucky

Is A&M’s OOC as bad as the rest of the West’s? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think the strength of OOC is overrated. I mean every talking head and half of SDC is riding the G5 bandwagon for playoff representation and there's many times their best game is average at best on a P5 schedule. Why do we choose to ignore SOS for them but then want to get all bent out of shape over OOC schedules for sec teams? 

28 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I think the strength of OOC is overrated. I mean every talking head and half of SDC is riding the G5 bandwagon for playoff representation and there's many times their best game is average at best on a P5 schedule. Why do we choose to ignore SOS for them but then want to get all bent out of shape over OOC schedules for sec teams? 

Probably because no one screams louder about their conference SOS than the SEC. Meanwhile, the argument for years from many has been about all the teams not playing each other; and if they did all play each other, you'd actually have teams with more losses, with less teams ranked. Low and behold, this is exactly what happened in 2020. 

6 hours ago, Lobo97 said:

Probably because no one screams louder about their conference SOS than the SEC. Meanwhile, the argument for years from many has been about all the teams not playing each other; and if they did all play each other, you'd actually have teams with more losses, with less teams ranked. Low and behold, this is exactly what happened in 2020. 

Whats being left off of your statement is why people crow about the sec conference schedule. It has nothing to do with team rankings. It has to do with players. It has to do with talent and depth. The sec is the best recruiting conference and the best nfl draft conference. Week to week regardless of rankings or records you're seeing more talent and depth in the sec than you are in the other conferences. That's a measurable factor. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

What's the timetable on getting King back?

6-8 weeks was the initial thought but I got the impression it was likely going to be done for the year if Calzada was serviceable. Seeing as how Calzada is not they may rush King back to try and save the season. You cant let your championship hopes being dashed make you a 7-5 team. This is still a team with potential to win 9-10 games. 

@MavGrad99 @WETSU If there was a QB battle it had to have been in name only. Calzada throws a pretty ball. When he’s in shorts. In practice. Against no defense. This is where A&M could have used a Greg McElroy type QB2. Maybe not the greatest athlete or strongest arm but is QB smart. Takes what the defense gives him. Confident in his reads. Calzada hesitated all game with his happy feet. If this was ‘22 and King went down, you could turn to Connor Weigman. That’s the bright spot.

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

@MavGrad99 @WETSU If there was a QB battle it had to have been in name only. Calzada throws a pretty ball. When he’s in shorts. In practice. Against no defense. This is where A&M could have used a Greg McElroy type QB2. Maybe not the greatest athlete or strongest arm but is QB smart. Takes what the defense gives him. Confident in his reads. Calzada hesitated all game with his happy feet. If this was ‘22 and King went down, you could turn to Connor Weigman. That’s the bright spot.

I believe 17 year old connor weigman wins that game for A&M Yesterday. I believe anyone willing to run 3 yards and slide wins that game yesterday. 

I'm super high on weigman. I honestly think him coming in the spring will really push Haynes and he might even beat him. He's a better player it just depends on how he handles the playbook. 

36 minutes ago, WETSU said:

You can't say something like this then on your very next post say that very few teams have played anyone yet... Which is it? 

I agree we haven't seen enough football yet but that means you can't also turn around and blame A&M schedule for their rankings. There isn't enough sample for anyone... I think every team needs 3 conference games before anyone can get too excited about any stat line. 

Very few teams have played anybody with a pulse.  It’s the truth.  To claim to be a top 5 defense with your schedule is funny.  If you think those 3 are solid teams you’re hilarious.  Colorado just lost to Minnesota 30-0. 

Just now, DB2point0 said:

Very few teams have played anybody with a pulse.  It’s the truth.  To claim to be a top 5 defense with your schedule is funny.  If you think those 3 are solid teams you’re hilarious.  Colorado just lost to Minnesota 30-0. 

Do what I said. Give me 5 better defense you want with the game on the line. Seriously. If you're gonna be smug give me your 5. 

Just now, DB2point0 said:

I’m not being smug.  There’s no way to determine the 5 best defenses with having seen them play mostly scrubs.

Texas is top ten as a rushing team.  Do you honestly think they’re a legit top 10 rushing team?  Or is it inflated stats from playing two teams that typically #### against the run.  Let em hit TCU, ou, Iowa state and Baylor for 300+ and we can discuss that.  The same for aTm’s defense.  Let them hold LSU, Bama, and a couple of the better offenses on their schedule to 5.7 ppg and then we can talk top 5 defense.  Stats are misleading, especially early in the season.  Sometimes they can be telling, sometimes misleading.

quit acting like I’m pouring on your head.  I’m being civil, you just don’t like me disagreeing with you.   

No youre just contradicting your arguments. You argue that its laughable to think A&M has a top 5 defense based on who they have played but then say not enough teams have played anybody. Thats contradicting and you don't even understand how. Which is it? You cannot for say A&M is not top 5 and then say there is no top 5

. By your logic, we haven't seen enough football from anyone to gather a top 5. Except A&M. We know they aren't top 5

See how stupid that sounds? 

• Mr. P locked this topic