👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

On 8/12/2021 at 1:11 PM, Stoney said:

Wet, I’ll make it SDC official. Lot of games between now and October 9th, but if King and the o-line are healthy and playing good, I think we knock off Bama.

Well I was wrong on some of it but not the thing that mattered most.

2 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

So where do you rank a team that started the season top 10, stunk up the joint for a few games, dropped out of the rankings,  and then turns around and knocks off undefeated #1 Bama?

One slot ahead of Alabama. I know that’s kind of a silly statement, because they’re currently unranked, BUT TAMU just beat them head to head and Alabama will be ranked way ahead of A&M this afternoon and THAT makes zero sense either!

• Like 1

Some may wonder why I give @WETSU a hard time sometimes. Here's an example. He was boasting earlier in the thread that the Aggies have "a top 5 defense in CF." Here's some stats...I came up with 52 in the nation. My counting may have been off a little.

PS- Just having some fun with WET.

• Stinks 1

13 hours ago, WETSU said:

I've been to probably 25 games at Kyle over the last 10 years. Regardless of the score of this one, it was the best environment I've ever been to. There was something moving even early that was just different.

12th man was on fire

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stoney said:

What a season!!! What’s next? Do we feel confident that the questions we’ve had had about this team have been handled?

There will still be some struggles this year. Every game is winnable but Ole Miss on the road will be a very big challenge. 

43 minutes ago, Stoney said:

What a season!!! What’s next? Do we feel confident that the questions we’ve had had about this team have been handled?

:tinfoil:Am I the only one who thinks maybe, just maybe, Jimbo has been "playing possum" since Haynes went down?

It might explain why his playcaling has been so, well, blah since Colorado...  and then suddenly the offense looked dramatically improved against Alabama of all teams. 

17 minutes ago, WETSU said:

There will still be some struggles this year. Every game is winnable but Ole Miss on the road will be a very big challenge. 

Yep. The team played out of their minds vs Bama and still needed some breaks to win (lots of Bama dropped passes). Auburn, LSU, and Ole Miss are all going to be very tough games. All winnable, but all very losable too. Have to find some consistency. If the OL can play like this the rest of the way and Calzada can keep it going, look out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LOL said:

:tinfoil:Am I the only one who thinks maybe, just maybe, Jimbo has been "playing possum" since Haynes went down?

It might explain why his playcaling has been so, well, blah since Colorado...  and then suddenly the offense looked dramatically improved against Alabama of all teams. 

I legit wonder. 

Last week against Miss St we didn’t call any blitzes whatsoever. Looked extremely vanilla on defense. And then vs Bama we were bringing blitzes from every which direction. For how vanilla our offense and defense looked last week, they were that much more creative this week. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I legit wonder. 

Last week against Miss St we didn’t call any blitzes whatsoever. Looked extremely vanilla on defense. And then vs Bama we were bringing blitzes from every which direction. For how vanilla our offense and defense looked last week, they were that much more creative this week. 

I don’t honestly think a coach would do that purposely to the point where they lose a game because of it. A&M still had legit playoff hopes heading into last week. Winning out with their only loss to Arkansas would’ve put them in SEC championship and directly in the playoff picture. 

Now if you want to say Jimbo and company said to heck with it, let’s throw caution to the wind, let em hang and see what happens, I’d agree with that. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LOL said:

I do think that some things were held back for this game but you don't let yourself lose two weeks in a row to set up this win. I think Calzada just wasn't right between the ears. They changed some things and he actually looked confident for the first time all season. Maybe the pressure was off maybe he finally got enough reps or maybe he just played out of his mind and is right back to his arkansas self next week. Who knows?

I do lean towards he will be decent enough that we do not see that terrible version of him again but likely won't get the bama version every week. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I legit wonder. 

Right?! I mean, imagine you're Jimbo, and you're suddenly the injury bug bites. Your hopes of a Natty are pretty much dashed...  what's the second-best thing to winning it all? Beating the team that probably will. Beating 'Bama. 

So you devise a fairly simple gameplan week in and week out. You hide your best looks week-in and week-out, knowing that Saban is an evil genius and will key in on anything that can expose his vulnerabilities. You lull him with tendencies that are counter to what you actually plan to use against him, rendering his film studies utterly useless. 

Then the big game comes, you attack him in ways that he never saw coming, exploiting mismatches that haven't existed thus far. Thanks to the homefield advantage, it's hard for them to communicate on-field, hindering adjustments from the sidelines.

I mean, I haven't watched A&M or 'Bama close enough to prove any of this, but it's a clever idea. Clever enough for a duffer like me to come up with. Surely someone with Jimbo's skill and experience could come up with something even more diabolical, and effective. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yep. The team played out of their minds vs Bama and still needed some breaks to win (lots of Bama dropped passes). Auburn, LSU, and Ole Miss are all going to be very tough games. All winnable, but all very losable too. Have to find some consistency. If the OL can play like this the rest of the way and Calzada can keep it going, look out!

Yea the oline is big. I think they have the starting 5 set after last night. They played way too well to justify changing anything until proven otherwise. 

But this feels an awful lot like the Florida game last season where the offense found an identity and they are solid the rest of the way. Maybe I'm riding a high but I think they win out (with some struggles but find a way.) 

7 minutes ago, villagegenius said:

I don’t honestly think a coach would do that purposely to the point where they lose a game because of it. A&M still had legit playoff hopes heading into last week. Winning out with their only loss to Arkansas would’ve put them in SEC championship and directly in the playoff picture. 

Now if you want to say Jimbo and company said to heck with it, let’s throw caution to the wind, let em hang and see what happens, I’d agree with that. 

I dont think intentionally lost I just think they had a very simple gameplan and calzada/defense didn't execute well enough to win. 

• Thanks 1

• Mr. P locked this topic