👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

...the SEC West is as wide open as I can remember the past decade...

52 minutes ago, WETSU said:

But its not a now or never situation either I don't think. But I do think this is the year for the breakthrough. 

Both of these are true... 

it's not as though Haynes King and his Four New Linemen only have one year to do everything. Even if they lose Spiller to the draft after next season (highly likely), solid RBs are there for the taking. The core of the offense will be back. Jimbo has the program going in the right direction. 

That said: A&M has every reason to be in serious contention for the SEC title, and anything short of that must be seen as a serious disappointment for Aggie fans. They finished 9-1 and in the Top 5 last year. There's no reason why they can't repeat that level of success. 

No...  it's not "now or never" for A&M, BUT they also have no excuse to fail in 2021. 

13 minutes ago, LOL said:

Both of these are true... 

it's not as though Haynes King and his Four New Linemen only have one year to do everything. Even if they lose Spiller to the draft after next season (highly likely), solid RBs are there for the taking. The core of the offense will be back. Jimbo has the program going in the right direction. 

That said: A&M has every reason to be in serious contention for the SEC title, and anything short of that must be seen as a serious disappointment for Aggie fans. They finished 9-1 and in the Top 5 last year. There's no reason why they can't repeat that level of success. 

No...  it's not "now or never" for A&M, BUT they also have no excuse to fail in 2021. 

Oh i agree there. Anything short of an SEC title is disappointing this season. But thats true of every contender every year. You will never see OU, Bama ,Ohio st, Clemson or Georgia content with finishing second in their conference. When you get to that "reload not rebuild" phase every year the goal is a title and anything less is a let down. 

It is correct that all aggies are and should be expecting a title this year. But if they don't win one this year its not the only window to do it. Would it be disappointing to finish second in the west? Yes. Is it considered a disaster? No. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WETSU said:

You will never see OU, Bama ,Ohio st, Clemson or Georgia content with finishing second in their conference. When you get to that "reload not rebuild" phase every year the goal is a title and anything less is a let down.

Agreed. Last season was a "rebuild" for us, but winning the conference was still the goal. This season we expect another  conference title and at least a playoff spot. Anything less will be a disappointing season. 

On 6/2/2021 at 12:51 PM, LOL said:

Agreed. Last season was a "rebuild" for us, but winning the conference was still the goal. This season we expect another  conference title and at least a playoff win . Anything less will be a disappointing season. 

Fixed it for you.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Fixed it for you.

Lol, I dig, but that's not me. I'm not to the point where I *expect* a playoff win. Not yet. Gonna have to see 'em in live action (spring game don't count) before I'm ready to get hype.

But based purely on talent, development, and scheme...  there's absolutely no reason why this OU team should not at least be *in* the playoffs.

Our absolute floor this season should be 11-1 (a regular season loss to Iowa State is the only L that I will somewhat tolerate), and yet another Big XII title. This result should all but guarantee a Top 4 ranking and playoff berth. 

For all my Aggie friends that just wouldn't admit it - Johnny Manziel did in fact get paid to sign autographs during his time at A&M. Those pics were not fake. LOL! The dude was a heck of a college football player and 100% ####.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LOL said:

Lol, I dig, but that's not me. I'm not to the point where I *expect* a playoff win. Not yet. Gonna have to see 'em in live action (spring game don't count) before I'm ready to get hype.

But based purely on talent, development, and scheme...  there's absolutely no reason why this OU team should not at least be *in* the playoffs.

Our absolute floor this season should be 11-1 (a regular season loss to Iowa State is the only L that I will somewhat tolerate), and yet another Big XII title. This result should all but guarantee a Top 4 ranking and playoff berth. 

If OU loses a game regular season there will be a real dogfight on them getting the 4th seed in the playoffs. I could easily see a situation where the committee leaves them out for a 11-1 bama or Georgia. 

If Georgia beats clemson week 1 then I think the SEC will get two teams in the playoffs. Just a hunch. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

For all my Aggie friends that just wouldn't admit it - Johnny Manziel did in fact get paid to sign autographs during his time at A&M. Those pics were not fake. LOL! The dude was a heck of a college football player and 100% ####.

The ncaa is sort of like the DOJ. They only find something or even investigate at all if they WANT the person or school to get in trouble. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

If OU loses a game regular season there will be a real dogfight on them getting the 4th seed in the playoffs. I could easily see a situation where the committee leaves them out for a 11-1 bama or Georgia. 

If Georgia beats clemson week 1 then I think the SEC will get two teams in the playoffs. Just a hunch. 

If OU loses to Iowa State in the regular season, then turns around and beats them in the CCG, they're in. Period. 

23 minutes ago, WETSU said:

This is a fair assessment. I'll add if Clemson does lose week 1 but goes on the win out and Georgia loses in the SEC Title Game - Clemson is in over Georgia. That is unless Georgia is #1 going into that Title game. 

I will say that I'm not a fan of putting two teams from the same conference into the Final Four. Anybody can go back and search my comments - I've always felt that way. If the NCAA was to rule that only one team per conference could play in the Final Four Playoff, I think we would see a quick addition to eight teams (which I think would be much better for the league). That would include all P5 Conference champions and 3 at-large bids. At that point I wouldn't mind if all 3 at-large bids came from the same conference. I just like the idea of Conference champions getting a shot at the Natty. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LOL said:

If OU loses to Iowa State in the regular season, then turns around and beats them in the CCG, they're in. Period. 

Probably. But its not a "period" type of situation. If georgia beats clemson then loses a very tight game in the conference title to Bama or A&M then its not cut and dry IMO. How good iowa st is will.impact that a lot. If ou beats an undefeated iowa st in the conference title you're right. If ou beats a 2 loss iowa st or another team then its up for debate. 

For the record I don't agree on two teams from the same conference getting in either, but I also am just trying to get in the committees head. If you have a 1 loss Georgia or Bama they absolutely will be in the hunt with or without a conference title compared to OU. Its not a "period." 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

This is a fair assessment. I'll add if Clemson does lose week 1 but goes on the win out and Georgia loses in the SEC Title Game - Clemson is in over Georgia. That is unless Georgia is #1 going into that Title game. 

I will say that I'm not a fan of putting two teams from the same conference into the Final Four. Anybody can go back and search my comments - I've always felt that way. If the NCAA was to rule that only one team per conference could play in the Final Four Playoff, I think we would see a quick addition to eight teams (which I think would be much better for the league). That would include all P5 Conference champions and 3 at-large bids. At that point I wouldn't mind if all 3 at-large bids came from the same conference. I just like the idea of Conference champions getting a shot at the Natty. 

I agree with all of this. But Georgia likely will be number 1 or 2 going into the game in my scenario. If georgia is number 1 and loses a close one to a an also top 5 Bama or A&M, its going to very hard to drop them below 4. 

My point is there are many factors here and that there's a lot in play. I don't think its fair to assume any 1 loss conference champ is "automatic" given how all the other conference factors. Just my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lhornfan said:

If they're not doing it already, all the bigger schools will be soon!

Aggie Capture.PNG

A&M AMPLIFY Article

Texas A&M. What starts here changes the...🤮🤮🤮

Sorry couldn't finish that mess lol. But yes I think many of them already are doing this. Could have sworn I saw bama or Georgia has one. 

47 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I agree with all of this. But Georgia likely will be number 1 or 2 going into the game in my scenario. If georgia is number 1 and loses a close one to a an also top 5 Bama or A&M, its going to very hard to drop them below 4. 

My point is there are many factors here and that there's a lot in play. I don't think its fair to assume any 1 loss conference champ is "automatic" given how all the other conference factors. Just my opinion. 

I understand. I'm just not seeing any other conference's runner-up (even the SEC) getting in over conference champion OU. That's what I meant by "period."

I could see conference champ Iowa State being left out, but not the Sooners. Right or wrong, it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, LOL said:

I understand. I'm just not seeing any other conference's runner-up (even the SEC) getting in over conference champion OU. That's what I meant by "period."

I could see conference champ Iowa State being left out, but not the Sooners. Right or wrong, it is what it is. 

Think about it like this..

Let's say Bama is 12-0 with a victory over a probable top 10 A&M. They are likely number 1 heading into the final week. Let's say georgia beats Clemson and also enters the final week at 12-0 and ranked 2. Then you've got likely Ohio st at 12-0 and number 3. Clemson OU round out 4 and 5 in no particular order... If everyone handles business that weekend and the bama/georgia game is a nail biter, do you really think Bama drops below 4 if they lose? What about georgia? What if clemson is sitting at 4 in the final week and goergia loses. I don't see them going to 5 while leaving clemson at 4 when clemson already lost the head to head... 

All of this is extremely hypothetical and honestly I don't think it will be that close. But I can see several scenarios where a 12-1 conference champ OU gets left out. It will take all the right pieces falling like I mentioned above but ou isn't a shoe in. They likely get in over a 1 loss A&M but not a 1 loss bama. The committee has already shown us they do not care about when the loss occurs or if you're not a conference champion. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Think about it like this..

Let's say Bama is 12-0 with a victory over a probable top 10 A&M. They are likely number 1 heading into the final week. Let's say georgia beats Clemson and also enters the final week at 12-0 and ranked 2. Then you've got likely Ohio st at 12-0 and number 3. Clemson OU round out 4 and 5 in no particular order... If everyone handles business that weekend and the bama/georgia game is a nail biter, do you really think Bama drops below 4 if they lose? What about georgia? What if clemson is sitting at 4 in the final week and goergia loses. I don't see them going to 5 while leaving clemson at 4 when clemson already lost the head to head... 

All of this is extremely hypothetical and honestly I don't think it will be that close. But I can see several scenarios where a 12-1 conference champ OU gets left out. It will take all the right pieces falling like I mentioned above but ou isn't a shoe in. They likely get in over a 1 loss A&M but not a 1 loss bama. The committee has already shown us they do not care about when the loss occurs or if you're not a conference champion. 

Interesting analysis, but let's throw in a bit more chaos...  let's say no one in the top ten is undefeated, and there are multiple top 5 teams with inexplicable losses.

What then?   :woot:

7 minutes ago, LOL said:

Interesting analysis, but let's throw in a bit more chaos...  let's say no one in the top ten is undefeated, and there are multiple top 5 teams with inexplicable losses.

What then?   :woot:

Do what history has always done in those years. Give the National Title to Notre Dame. 😂

• LOL! 2

8 hours ago, LOL said:

Sounds like a year that OU usually goes down in the Cotton Bowl.  I'll take it. 😎

• LOL! 1
  • Sad 1

• Mr. P locked this topic