👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

On 6/10/2021 at 4:44 PM, WETSU said:

Thats the point. He's the mack brown of college baseball from what I've heard. Very good recruiter and ceo type coach that surrounds himself with elite assistant coaches. A&M gave him a blank check for assistants from what is being reported. 

Also want to point out that everyone said similar things about Fisher that he wasn't the hire everyone thought he is and the oline would be the reason why... In year 3 he finished #4 with a top 3 oline. So take everything with a grain of salt. 

On 6/10/2021 at 5:07 PM, topher805 said:

If he has a blank check for assistants, then yes, home run hire.

A&M, Rice, and Houston Baptist all made excellent hires this off-season.

Yeah, I don't see this as a legitimate criticism. Outside of savants like Belichick and Saban, typically the best coaches are the ones who have the best eye for talent...   coaching talent.

There are plenty of brilliant X's and O's guys who never won big because they couldn't run a program, be it football, baseball, or even a business.

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I believe the Aggies will be good. I would be lying if I wasn’t concerned with the unproven qb and new offensive line. The defense should be on point and other skill players will be fine. Anything less than a 9 win season is a failure.

Anything less than 11 wins is a failure... 9 wins is almost worst case. 

I hate putting pressure on any team breaking in a new QB and oline but with how good the defense is expected to be and how much turnover the rest of the division has you have to expect 11 wins. Honestly I'll be disappointed in even 11 wins if we can't beat bama at home with everything they are replacing. Likely hosting game day and a cbs night game... Really need that win. I'd rather win that one and drop one we shouldn't than lose that one and win out. 

• Thanks 1

I said I would wait and see on the assistants for Schlossnagle...Good Lord...

Arguably the best young hitting coach in the country (Michael Early - Arizona State). Former assistant of the year as the pitching coach (Nate Yeskie - Arizona). Also hearing the LSU Recruiting Coordinator? 

4 hours ago, topher805 said:

I said I would wait and see on the assistants for Schlossnagle...Good Lord...

Arguably the best young hitting coach in the country (Michael Early - Arizona State). Former assistant of the year as the pitching coach (Nate Yeskie - Arizona). Also hearing the LSU Recruiting Coordinator? 

Yes. Although Yeskie could be in offered the Arizona HC so keep that one on the maybe list. But yes this staff is essentially the best you could ask for. Also hearing Bluebell will get some hefty upgrades at Schloss' discretion. This is essentially as good of commitment to baseball as they made towards football with a 75mil contract for Fisher. 

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I don't know much about this kid because its still early for 2023 kids. But Fisher must really be high on the kid to shut down his QB search this early in the process for that class. 

Kelvin Banks commits today. It’s looking like Nike, I mean Oregon has swooshed, I mean swooped in to make things interesting. BP is leaning Ducks now. If we lose a in state kid like this to a west coast soy burger school, I’m going to be eating and drinking my BAS away today.

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Kelvin Banks commits today. It’s looking like Nike, I mean Oregon has swooshed, I mean swooped in to make things interesting. BP is leaning Ducks now. If we lose a in state kid like this to a west coast soy burger school, I’m going to be eating and drinking my BAS away today.

What changed within the last 24hrs? When I checked yesterday it was 60% A&M, 40% UT. 

Also Bryce Anderson from right up the road at West Brook commits today, was told it would likely be A&M, we'll see. 

EDIT: Just saw he changed the date, it wont be today. 

Edited by MrBuddyGarrity
Saw a new date.

8 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

What changed within the last 24hrs? When I checked yesterday it was 60% A&M, 40% UT. 

Personally? I think NIL and maybe Phil Knight. That’s the BAS coming out. Things could change but it ain’t looking good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Personally? I think NIL and maybe Phil Knight. That’s the BAS coming out. Things could change but it ain’t looking good.

Wow! I'll probably get a call from my hometown folk there later, he's the head coach of that kid. 

41 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I think it’s more to with they just had an OL go top 5 in the draft and their HC is an O-line guy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I think it’s more to with they just had an OL go top 5 in the draft and their HC is an O-line guy.

Possibly, but A&M will have a top 5 guy this class more than likely and he also committed to our oline coach while he was still at Oklahoma St and has loved A&M since the Henson hire. 

I think he picks oregon, but its very hard to say its not for NIL purposes. They haven't even been a factor in his recruitment until the NIL announcement. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Possibly, but A&M will have a top 5 guy this class more than likely and he also committed to our oline coach while he was still at Oklahoma St and has loved A&M since the Henson hire. 

I think he picks oregon, but its very hard to say its not for NIL purposes. They haven't even been a factor in his recruitment until the NIL announcement. 

To go from Texas thinking they had a shot, to them not even being in final two and Oregon getting him? That’s just crazy.

1 hour ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Wow! I'll probably get a call from my hometown folk there later, he's the head coach of that kid. 

Can I send him some brisket and ribs to see if that will flip him?😂

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

To go from Texas thinking they had a shot, to them not even being in final two and Oregon getting him? That’s just crazy.

IT had Texas for Banks for a while and an Oregon mod said it was a Oregon/Texas a few days ago.  Sounds like the kid fooled a lot of people or maybe all these "sources" just didn't know?  Curious what may happen as signing day gets closer and the thought of going a long way changes things, but that'd put him at 2 decommits/3 commits and more times than not those types usually don't pan out.

Sounds like Dewberry may be going to Ohio State, so I guess both our teams are back to the drawing board at OL to look out of state or Sr year evaluations.

Regardless, tired of seeing all these kids going out of the state, but until Texas or Aggies win the conference/get in the playoffs this'll continue to happen.  Would love to see another Texas pull 5* Jordan Hicks out of Ohio case happen again.

Anyways, kick back with a cold one and enjoy some message board meltdowns from both teams lol.

2 hours ago, WETSU said:

Not that it matters, but Henson was already at a&m when Banks committed to Oklahoma State.

47 minutes ago, Stoney said:

@Red90fly Kid wants to go to Alabama, LSU, OU. I get that. I hate when it’s Ohio State. That’s the one that drives me nuts. No pun intended.

In the grand scheme of all things it is better for Oklahoma for Texas A&M to not be good. 

However, being a TXHSF coach it still drives me crazy to see kids leave the region to go to Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, and etc. Go to Oklahoma or stay in the state lol.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Valhalla said:

In the grand scheme of all things it is better for Oklahoma for Texas A&M to not be good. 

However, being a TCHSF coach it still drives me crazy to see kids leave the region to go to Ohio State, Alabama, Oregon, and etc. Go to Oklahoma or stay in the state lol.

Take it for what it’s worth. It’s board talk. Some of the A&M kids were visiting OU and Grinch was more concerned about downplaying A&M then they were Texas. 

How many times have we seen Texas kids go to Oregon and wind up back in Texas? Just hope we can flip him.

54 minutes ago, Stoney said:

@Red90fly Kid wants to go to Alabama, LSU, OU. I get that. I hate when it’s Ohio State. That’s the one that drives me nuts. No pun intended.

Oregon plays @ Ohio State week 2 (maybe the best game that week to watch??), a few scrubs, and then a PAC12 schedule with no USC this year.  Looks like the toughest game will be @ Washington with no Pete Kwiatkowski.  Also road games @ Utah and @ UCLA.  Not out of the question to think they may have a 10-2/11-1 type season.

• Mr. P locked this topic