👍🏻Aggies 2021 Thread👍🏻

Stoney

I get the questions about it but it’s a move that shows stability in a college landscape that is very unstable right now. Rumor is that Elko got an extension as well. I haven’t seen any confirmation but if he did, that’s a big deal to me. I know some folks don’t like him but Elko has improved this defense every year he’s been here. Keeping Fisher and Elko together wouldn’t be a bad thing.

19 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

A&M is taking a lot of #### for this.  Mainly for 2 reasons:

1) He hasn't won anything yet and...

2) They did the same thing with Sumlin after 1 winning season... 

Why give Jimbo a raise when he isn't a flight risk yet?  He was already a top 10 paid HC before this raise and you boosted him to top 3 for one 10 win season?  I know he isn't the same as Stumblin, but damn, you are just wasting money.

I think he beat two teams with a winning record last year.  

17 hours ago, WETSU said:

This is a reaction to the Texas and OU move. 

A&M is drawing the attention to them and off of Texas. They are flexing. Dropping mega money showing they can while also showing commits and coaches across the country how committed they are. 

It is probably an unnecessary move and definitely excessive, but its not the worst thing in the world to be proactive in this IMO. What I think it does is put pressure on other programs to financially keep pace. They are also dumping a lot more in facilities as well. 

So because aTm decides to overpay a coach, you think the rest will follow suit???  I don’t think aTm is the trendsetter you believe them to be.  

7 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

A&M donors have stupid amounts of money to spend, though. 

He won an Orange Bowl (our first NY6 Bowl game), led A&M to our best season since 1939, and the trajectory of the program is on the rise, with recruiting and development. I don't know about the big raise and extension, but I don't HATE this move. 

I don’t think it was the wrong move, just a year too early. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

I get the questions about it but it’s a move that shows stability in a college landscape that is very unstable right now. Rumor is that Elko got an extension as well. I haven’t seen any confirmation but if he did, that’s a big deal to me. I know some folks don’t like him but Elko has improved this defense every year he’s been here. Keeping Fisher and Elko together wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Who doesn’t like Elko!?  

If someone saw our defenses before and after his arrival, it’s a no brainer. Elko is way better, though he’s benefited by an offense that holds the ball and controls the game. 

27 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So because aTm decides to overpay a coach, you think the rest will follow suit???  I don’t think aTm is the trendsetter you believe them to be.  

If you think it wont make a difference thats fine. But you're naive if you think Sarks agent in two years isn't going to be pointing to that contract telling the Texas AD "look what your 'little brother' is willing to spend" to win games. 

23 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Agreed. But like I said it was a flex move for PR purposes Imo. 

What are you flexing?  Every non Aggie here has already said it was a silly idea.  Only you guys think it’s something good or there was a reason to do it.  

this was not a reaction to Texas and OU….  That already happened.  The leak to the press whining and crying.  This is just a silly move, especially if the Aggies don’t win 10 games again.  The extension looks even dumber if they win 7-8 

33 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

What are you flexing?  Every non Aggie here has already said it was a silly idea.  Only you guys think it’s something good or there was a reason to do it.  

this was not a reaction to Texas and OU….  That already happened.  The leak to the press whining and crying.  This is just a silly move, especially if the Aggies don’t win 10 games again.  The extension looks even dumber if they win 7-8 

I understand you don't think it was a good move. I don't think it was a "good" move either. But it certainly is not a bad move either. Fisher is here to stay regardless if its 7.5 a year or 9 a year. If A&M wins 11+ this year nobody bats an eye at this extension and its old news. 

The fact that you guys even feel the need to comment though proves my point. People are noticing this. Whether the particular person sees it as good or bad it doesn't matter. Its publicity. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Fair. I’m pretty neutral on it, honestly. 

I do think he’s better than Sumlin at this point, though. So I’m far more okay with this move than extending Sumlin who won using players he didn’t recruit. 

I’m on record of saying that I believe LSU should have stolen Jimbo from FSU the year before he was stolen by A&M

26 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I understand you don't think it was a good move. I don't think it was a "good" move either. But it certainly is not a bad move either. Fisher is here to stay regardless if its 7.5 a year or 9 a year. If A&M wins 11+ this year nobody bats an eye at this extension and its old news. 

The fact that you guys even feel the need to comment though proves my point. People are noticing this. Whether the particular person sees it as good or bad it doesn't matter. Its publicity. 

On Twitter, the A&M admin was getting roasted by everyone initially.  Aggie fans, as any diehard fan base would, learned to rationalize this over a short period of time.

8 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

On Twitter, the A&M admin was getting roasted by everyone initially.  Aggie fans, as any diehard fan base would, learned to rationalize this over a short period of time.

Perhaps you're right. But I could care less about what fans on twitter say. He could get extended after winning a title and they would roast. Its what opposing fans do. 

Its what is being talked about behind closed doors by people who matter that I care about. You guys are kidding yourselves if Ed O and sarks agents aren't paying attention. You think if Sark goes out and wins the big 12 this year him and his agent aren't sitting in meetings saying "Jimbo just signed a 90mil deal for finishing second in the division." 

This move is knee jerk but you guys are thinking small. A&M didnt extend Jimbo based off of any past results. This was a proactive move to apply future pressure not reward past seasons. 

17 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I’m on record of saying that I believe LSU should have stolen Jimbo from FSU the year before he was stolen by A&M

I also think this is relevant in A&Ms high commitment to Jimbo. Ed O is going to be gone after this season. He's got too much trouble off the field surrounding him and they also might go 8-4 this year which LSU will not stand for. And I do believe Jimbo is the top of their list. A&M basically knows this and just was proactive IMO. LSU isn't even going to try to beat a 10 year 90mil deal.

50 minutes ago, WETSU said:

If he’s here to stay, why voluntarily give him $2M more to coach this season?  Or the next however many.???

when everybody but your fan base is saying it’s dumb, I assume you like bad publicity?  It would be a very Aggie thing to do, which is probably why it makes sense to you guys

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

If he’s here to stay, why voluntarily give him $2M more to coach this season?  Or the next however many.???

when everybody but your fan base is saying it’s dumb, I assume you like bad publicity?  It would be a very Aggie thing to do, which is probably why it makes sense to you guys

Again, this isn't about what you or anyone else says on message boards and twitter. This is about what is said to people that matter. I don't care what the outside world thinks of it. The outside world thought his original contract was bad as well. 

1 minute ago, WETSU said:

Again, this isn't about what you or anyone else says on message boards and twitter. This is about what is said to people that matter. I don't care what the outside world thinks of it. The outside world thought his original contract was bad as well. 

So you’re only hoping to impress the Aggies.  Got it

6 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So you’re only hoping to impress the Aggies.  Got it

You're right. There's not an agent or coach in the world that isn't impressed with A&Ms commitment to the man they feel is their guy. 

Just worry about gathering the buyout you're gonna need in 3 years when Sark fails and let A&M worry about its own money cupcake. We got plenty to spend. 

8 minutes ago, WETSU said:

You're right. There's not an agent or coach in the world that isn't impressed with A&Ms commitment to the man they feel is their guy. 

Just worry about gathering the buyout you're gonna need in 3 years when Sark fails and let A&M worry about its own money cupcake. We got plenty to spend. 

Lmao they paid $25 million just to get rid of Herman. 

That is a third of Jimbo's original lucrative deal. LOL

23 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Give him a break. He can't get the attention he wants from Lion so he's seeking it from you. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Lmao they paid $25 million just to get rid of Herman. 

That is a third of Jimbo's original lucrative deal. LOL

I completely forgot about that buyout. Then gave a coach with a 46-35 HC record 5.5mil a year... 

They have very little room to criticize anyone for contract decisions. 

4 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I completely forgot about that buyout. Then gave a coach with a 46-35 HC record 5.5mil a year... 

They have very little room to criticize anyone for contract decisions. 

How much are they having to pay to get out of the Big XII on top of that? 

Lmao just in buyouts they could've paid for Jimbo's entire original contract. 🤣

17 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I wasn’t to happy with sark.  I’m still in wait and see mode, but this topic isn’t about him, OR TEXAS….  So change the topic when you realize you’re on the wrong side of something.  The Aggies are willingly wasting  almost $2M for no reason this season.  Just for optics or publicity???  Lol, flex those purse strings…. You’ve got plenty of money, just lack sense

• Mr. P locked this topic