🏈🏈🏈2021 Dist. 5-3A Div. 1 Football 🏈🏈🏈

gamewatcher63

2020 was a tough year for everyone and 5-3A turned out to be one of the toughest districts in the state. What does 2021 have in store?

Bonham:Β  2-8 (1 forfeit) Their best playmaker #4 graduates, they seemed to rely on him for everything. Need to develop more ball carriers.

Commerce: 5-5 (3 forfeits) They graduate their backfield but always seem to have new playmakers show up. As always discipline is in need for the Tigers.

Howe: 0-10 (1 forfeit)Β  The Bulldogs just need to be able to get some first downs and sustain drives, get some experience in close games. Maybe get a win or two in pre-district.

Mineola: 11-2 Dist.ChampsΒ  Both losses to MV. Jackets lose Sneed and Anderson to graduation, both D1 signees. Mineola needs to develop more ball handlers so Pendergrass isn't the only option. Moreland did a great job in his first year at QB, Jackets need more of a passing game with multiple reads instead of just 3-4 of the same routs.Β 

Mount Vernon: 12-3 (2 forfeits) Tigers lose playmaker Nellor, and Coach Briles left for bigger and better things. Will have to wait and see who the new coach is but whoever it is will have a deep roster to pull from.Β 

Pottsboro: 9-3 (2 forfeits) Cards lose Plyler but Coach Poe always finds new talent to take over. They were up and down for 2020 mainly due to QB playing hurt for most of the year. Loss to Malakoff had to hurt after seeing MV beat Mally.Β 

Rains: 6-4 Wildcats will be looking for new coach and a new playmaker after the graduation of Sheppard. I believe McCree took over for some games and did a good job. Wildcats need more discipline, have way too many flags to win against good teams.Β 

Winnsboro: 7-3 Β (1 forfeit)Β  Raiders will be in good shape with Coach Finney and are suppose to have some players moving up though the program to make an impact.

So what do ya'll think.....Β Β  Β  Β Β Β 

Guest Tiger03lb

Imo,

I could see it going

W-Mv/winny

R-Winny/Mv

3rd-4th-Minny/Potts/rains (any one of these teams could take it) I would say minny for third because of the qb and Pendergrass coming back. Potts will be looking for reamp their offense next season. Rains shows some promise coming into this season.Β 

I don't think district 5 will be as stacked as this past season.Β 

Imo, region 2 is anyone's to take again this up coming season. There's not a clear favorite. My favorite will be Tatum.Β 

Β 

• 3 weeks later...

I think there will be alot of intriguing story lines. New coach in MV will definitely inherit some talent and it will be interesting to see which route he goes offensively based on there not just being a clear cut #1 qb returning. Winny will return a good number of talented players but will have to replace several key guys that have been contributors for the past 2-3 years. Coach Finneys son will become the qb and he brings a passing dynamic as well as the ability to run so it will be interesting to see how the offense looks next year. The defense should be a strength with the addition of younger players from the JV that hasnt lost a game the past 2 seasons. Minny should be solid again. In my opinion, the top 4 teams will be very similar to this past years top 4 with the order a toss up

On 1/1/2021 at 9:31 PM, Tiger03lb said:

Imo,

I could see it going

W-Mv/winny

R-Winny/Mv

3rd-4th-Minny/Potts/rains (any one of these teams could take it) I would say minny for third because of the qb and Pendergrass coming back. Potts will be looking for reamp their offense next season. Rains shows some promise coming into this season.Β 

I don't think district 5 will be as stacked as this past season.Β 

Imo, region 2 is anyone's to take again this up coming season. There's not a clear favorite. My favorite will be Tatum.Β 

Β 

You gone upset those GW girls again.Β 

23 hours ago, Tatum_DirtyBird said:

You gone upset those GW girls again.Β 

Man y’all should be a favorite. You’ve had the same set of kids for the last 4 years. If they don’t do something this year y’all will be out of excuses. Y’all can win the region out of the 2 spot in district. Good luck.Β 

• 5 months later...
42 minutes ago, chevyman said:

We should have turf on the ground pretty soon here in Winny. The project is coming along nicely and there is a lot of excitement for the stadium and also for the football team this coming up year.

That’s awesome. I’m happy for y’all. I’m even happier for us because we will eventually play there again. Β Lol

For the first time in a while,Β  Pottsboro will have athleticism problems.Β  Was fairly easy to see during track season.Β  Coach Poe has an outstanding track program,Β  but they showed very little this last spring.Β  ( ofcourse with pandemic, who knows )

3 hours ago, chevyman said:

We should have turf on the ground pretty soon here in Winny. The project is coming along nicely and there is a lot of excitement for the stadium and also for the football team this coming up year.

I’m still dreaming of the day they say we’re getting turf.Β 

On 6/28/2021 at 7:14 AM, chevyman said:

Over the years I would have bet a 100 dollars that Winnsboro would have been the last school to ever get turf....CongratsΒ  Β 

What will become of the old field? I have memories of doing PPK and a baseball throwing contest on that field back in the early 70's

12 hours ago, gamewatcher63 said:

Over the years I would have bet a 100 dollars that Winnsboro would have been the last school to ever get turf....CongratsΒ  Β 

What will become of the old field? I have memories of doing PPK and a baseball throwing contest on that field back in the early 70's

As far as i know, it will still be used in some manner during the short term. I am not sure long term what the plan is for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Winny schedule

Β 

8/13Β  Β  New DianaΒ  Β  Β AwayΒ  Β (scrimmage)

8/19Β  Β  CommunityΒ  Β  AwayΒ  Β (scrimmage)

8/27Β  Β  PewittΒ  Β  Β Home

9/3Β  Β  Β HooksΒ  Β  Β  Home

9/10Β  Β  Hughes SpringsΒ  Β  Away

9/17Β  Β  Β Bye

9/24Β  Β  Β MINEOLAΒ  Β  Β  Β AWAY

10/1Β  Β  Β  HOWEΒ  Β  Β  Β  HOME

10/8Β  Β  Β BONHAMΒ  Β  Β HOME

10/15Β  Β  RAINSΒ  Β  Β  Β AWAY

10/22Β  Β MT VERNONΒ  Β  Β HOME

10/29Β  Β COMMERCEΒ  Β AWAY

11/5Β  Β POTTSBOROΒ  Β HOME

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2021 at 6:30 PM, gamewatcher63 said:

Mount Vernon will be the last school to get turf unless someone just donates the funds to do it. Β They have tried several times to vote for a bond to get it done but lake cypress falls as Franklin county and all of the Dallas people that own lake houses out there always vote it down. Β 

28 minutes ago, Jeepster89 said:

Mount Vernon will be the last school to get turf unless someone just donates the funds to do it. Β They have tried several times to vote for a bond to get it done but lake cypress falls as Franklin county and all of the Dallas people that own lake houses out there always vote it down. Β 

That's a shame...we are fortunateΒ in Mineola to have the Β Meredith foundation that helps with so many projects around the school and community.Β 

• gamewatcher63 changed the title to 🏈🏈🏈2021 Dist. 5-3A Div. 1 Football 🏈🏈🏈