🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

Mr. P

Oklahoma RB Transfers Continue to Make Progress Digesting the Offense:
https://archive.ph/FVsHs

Both of Oklahoma's running back transfers are getting acclimated to life in Norman, albeit on very different timelines.

NORMAN — Getting a transfer up to speed is never easy.

Not only is the player getting acclimated to new coaches and teammates, they’re having to digest a new play book while learning a new city, all on the deadline of trying to earn a starting job or a major role on the team before the season kicks off.

It’s a process DeMarco Murray is learning first hand, as he’s gotten to bring in a pair of transfer running backs in Eric Gray from Tennessee and Tre Bradford from LSU.

For a guy like Gray though, he’s had the spring and summer to get up to speed.
Transferring in at the turn of the new year, Gray has quickly established himself as one of the top guys in the OU running backs room, alongside Kennedy Brooks.

“He has a great mindset about him. A great work ethic and just a great demeanor overall. You talk about a guy who’s a pro. You don’t have to say much to him, you don’t have to get him revved up,” Murray said during a press conference on Tuesday afternoon. “You talk about a guy who does it the right way on and off the field, he’s definitely high up there.”

Eric Gray joins Tre Bradford as OU's pair of SEC transfer running backs in 2021

Eric Gray joins Tre Bradford as OU's pair of SEC transfer running backs in 2021

And while the Sooners have been hard at work developing quality depth, the pecking order is clear at the top, Murray said.

“We’ve got all the confidence in the world in those guys,” he said of his running back room, before adding “our top two are our top two.”

Bradford is making strides, but there are no illusions about the hill he has to climb.

Deciding to enter the transfer portal in June, Bradford has months of catching up to do just to achieve the same understanding of the offense as Gray.

“(Bradford’s) only been here for about two months so he has to pick up the offense and continue to study, which he’s doing. He’s doing a great job at that. He’s made a lot of good plays for us,” Murray said. “He has to just kind of put it all together and he’s headed that direction.”

As he digests the playbook, Murray said Bradford still has a big role to play in Lincoln Riley’s offense.

“His versatility is extremely important for our room. He does some things that the other guys can’t do so he’s continued to learn,” Murray said. “He give us a lot of really good speed. He’s really good with the ball in his hands."

DeMarco Murray said he's pleased with Tre Bradford's progress learning the OU playbook

DeMarco Murray said he's pleased with Tre Bradford's progress learning the OU playbook

The process of picking up a new playbook is different for every player, Murray said.

“Obviously guys learn different ways. Some guys are more reps, some guys are more visual learners,” he said. “It’s up to me as a coach to find out how those guys learn the best way.”

Murray is no stranger to picking up new playbooks either. During his NFL career, Murray underwent the process at least three times as he moved from Dallas to Philadelphia and eventually Tennessee.

But despite the difficulty of adjusting to a new place, especially on a truncated timeline like Bradford’s, Murray said he’s still really pleased with how Gray and Bradford are coming along.

“They’ve both done a great job. It’s obviously on them once they leave the building and study on their own and watch the film,” Murray said. “But while we have no school and things like that we get a chance to obviously watch a ton of film and get a bunch of reps… It’s helped both of those guys.”

While Gray is expected to get a bunch of touches in 2021, Murray said he knows Bradford will get opportunities as well to not only provide depth, but make a difference on Saturday’s.

“I mean he wouldn’t be here if he didn’t (have a chance to play),” Murray said. “His versatility is extremely important for our room.

“He does some things that the other guys can’t do.”

15 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Just thought this was the best to say that I am taking a smoaky sabbatical for the foreseeable future. 

I just have a limited amount of time and I’m using too much on nonsense like this lol.

Always a good decision. Best of luck in all your pursuits!  👍

9 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

I gotta give Oklahoma credit. The Tulane game is moved from New Orleans to Oklahoma. Tulane is technically the home team and will have all the sales go to them. Sure Ou has an extra home game in a game that not competitive anyways but this was good move.

Yeah, it's a classy move for sure. And I got an email saying they're encouraging OU fans to cheer for Tulane as well. Really classy if they do. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2021 at 3:57 PM, LOL said:

Yeah, it's a classy move for sure. And I got an email saying they're encouraging OU fans to cheer for Tulane as well. Really classy if they do. 

Right on. I remember during Katrina we housed their students and a lot of their athletic teams. They had their home games at A&Ms facilities and they asked us students to go there and cheer for them. I went to a few events. 

Not happy with the stupid penalties or the blown coverages. Tulane's multiple shifts are putting the defense out of position repeatedly. That's not entirely unexpected for Week 1 but it's still not acceptable. Gotta clean that #### up PDQ. 

Riley is still playing too damn cute for me. Delayed handoffs out of the shotgun, double-reverse passes...  GTFOH! Why can't he just line up and run with power? 

Spencer needs to chill out and stop always looking for the big play. Sometimes ya gotta check down and take the easy completion. 

6 minutes ago, LOL said:

Not happy with the stupid penalties or the blown coverages. Tulane's multiple shifts are putting the defense out of position repeatedly. That's not entirely unexpected for Week 1 but it's still not acceptable. Gotta clean that #### up PDQ. 

Riley is still playing too damn cute for me. Delayed handoffs out of the shotgun, double-reverse passes...  GTFOH! Why can't he just line up and run with power? 

Spencer needs to chill out and stop always looking for the big play. Sometimes ya gotta check down and take the easy completion. 

Agree, but OU still looks good. Early on they looked suspect but they're playing well now. 

19 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Man. It's Game 1 and I know that OU will get it together, but they've looked suspect at times. 

Spencer needs to stop throwing off his back foot and into coverage. I don't know what he's trying to prove. Playcalling continues to be questionable. 

Defense is just getting beat, scheme-wise. The only thing in OU's favor is the talent disparity. 

This is a two- or three-loss team right now. 

8 minutes ago, LOL said:

Spencer needs to stop throwing off his back foot and into coverage. I don't know what he's trying to prove. Playcalling continues to be questionable. 

Defense is just getting beat, scheme-wise. The only thing in OU's favor is the talent disparity. 

This is a two- or three-loss team right now. 

Nah. Iowa State and Texas are the only two teams who will threaten OU and I figure they'll be ready to go or those. Deifnitely have work to do though. 

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Nah. Iowa State and Texas are the only two teams who will threaten OU and I figure they'll be ready to go or those. Deifnitely have work to do though. 

Disagree. This team has no fire or focus. 

Maybe next year. 

4 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I’ll say it. I don’t understand the Rattler hype at all. 

At this point he's far more Landry Jones than Baker Mayfield. He looks great against inferior competition, but when we need him to rise above, he comes up short.

Granted, he's still young, but consider me unimpressed as well. Thus far he's shown little growth from this time last year. 

• Mr. P locked this topic