🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

Mr. P

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Maaaaan I've been cheering against OU all year...... Right up until they put in Caleb Williams you could just see how the team responded to him. You can just tell that he's a team player that they guys love. Unlike Rattler who is on Team Spencer, not OU. 

I hope they start Caleb Williams the rest of the way- I'd be a fan, for one. 

Based on conversations with my connections, Caleb won over the locker room early. Very early. During offseason workouts Caleb drew multiple comparisons to Baker before he even stepped on the field... NOT because of anything athletically, but in how he related to the other players.  

See, from the get-go (even before NIL) Spencer was always Mr. "Business Decisions." Concerned about his "brand" and draft rankings. I heard it from people that sometimes it seemed like he viewed his time at OU as merely incidental to upping his draft stock. 

Caleb is one of the guys. He mixes it up and cracks jokes, encourages and cajoles, accepts blame for mistakes. Spencer tries to give off the impression that he's cool under pressure, but it comes off that he's just cold. 

According to a source I trust 100 percent: during the RRS when Caleb led his first drive as starter (with 6:36 in 2nd Quarter), OU went down and kicked a field goal. Once they were on the sidelines he went to each position group and said it was "on him" that the drive stalled. He praised each group for their play and apologized for letting them down

He also said, "Lean on me y'all, I got this. We're gonna win this game."

23 minutes ago, LOL said:

Based on conversations with my connections, Caleb won over the locker room early. Very early. During offseason workouts Caleb drew multiple comparisons to Baker before he even stepped on the field... NOT because of anything athletically, but in how he related to the other players.  

See, from the get-go (even before NIL) Spencer was always Mr. "Business Decisions." Concerned about his "brand" and draft rankings. I heard it from people that sometimes it seemed like he viewed his time at OU as merely incidental to upping his draft stock. 

Caleb is one of the guys. He mixes it up and cracks jokes, encourages and cajoles, accepts blame for mistakes. Spencer tries to give off the impression that he's cool under pressure, but it comes off that he's just cold. 

According to a source I trust 100 percent: during the RRS when Caleb led his first drive as starter (with 6:36 in 2nd Quarter), OU went down and kicked a field goal. Once they were on the sidelines he went to each position group and said it was "on him" that the drive stalled. He praised each group for their play and apologized for letting them down

He also said, "Lean on me y'all, I got this. We're gonna win this game."

I believe every word of this just from what I know about each of them. Like I said, it’s hard not to cheer for Williams, similar to how it was hard not to cheer for Sam Ehlinger. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 1:16 PM, LOL said:

Enhance...  enhance...  enhance...

FBR-h4q-UUAIc-LJh.jpg

Say what you want about the impact NIL has on the integrity of the game, it's sure making Christmas shopping easy for my Okie in-laws.  :woot:

4 hours ago, LOL said:

Say what you want about the impact NIL has on the integrity of the game, it's sure making Christmas shopping easy for my Okie in-laws.  :woot:

I gotta give props. I can't find any good UT apparel lol. Bijan's store is non-existent right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Smart. I don't agree with Saban's "rat poison" comments, but media make it HARD for coaches. So do fat little girlfriends. 

Yeah, I'm kinda torn on this... 

I mean, I get why Riley is upset with the OU Daily pretty much breaking down the exact snap ratio. They could've used weasel words to communicate the same sort of info. "Sources say Williams appeared to get more snaps on Tuesday." But no, they went for the big headline. They wanted the Twitter traction. Now it's bit them in the ###. I guarantee you their access will be curtailed significantly going forward. Hope it was worth it. 

On the other hand, Riley's being pretty petty about it. I mean, c'mon, surely he doesn't think he's gonna be able to surprise Patterson with Williams now. That ship's done sailed. For all his hedging language, everyone in Fort Worth knows that Williams is getting at least 50 percent of the snaps on Saturday, whether of not he's "starting." I guarantee you Patterson already had interns compiling game films on Williams all the way back to Pop Warner ball. 

2 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Heard that as well. I believe he should it was apparent when he didn’t celebrate with his team. Quitting mid season doesn’t really reflect leadership. Kid got talent so I expect him to succeed. 

Leadership is an intangible that fosters success. Having talent does not always equal success. Leadership AND talent most often leads to success. If his apparent attitude remains “as is” then “success” will most likely evade him.

8 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Rumor has it Rattler is in the transfer portal. 

Yeah, some guy who purports to be a UT insider is claiming that he talked to an OU staffer who said Rattler's gonna be in the Transfer Portal in the next few days. Meanwhile literally none of the actual OU insiders, who typically break stories like this, know what he's talking about. 

miiC56V.gif

Goodness I never thought we'd be talking about this stuff in college football. Rattler is making the news in all the worst ways. The sad part is, I think the kid is amazing. If they could protect him, I have no doubt he can sling the ball as well or better than Caleb Williams. He just doesn't have the legs. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/spencer-rattler-becomes-case-study-for-nil-return-on-investment-with-oklahoma-starting-job-in-flux/

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Yeah, some guy who purports to be a UT insider is claiming that he talked to an OU staffer who said Rattler's gonna be in the Transfer Portal in the next few days. Meanwhile literally none of the actual OU insiders, who typically break stories like this, know what he's talking about. 

miiC56V.gif

Thanks for dispelling things. 

Would you be surprised if he entered the portal after this season?

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I could see Caleb Williams being compared to these two guys leadership qualities. But Rattler?

I remember watching Rattler in that QB1 documentary on Netflix. Granted it was high school, but he has always come off to me as a ME over TEAM player. I've been overly critical of him because I just think the kid has an entitled attitude because he was QB1 for OU. But Baker, Kyler, Jalen, all the guys before him earned that swagger and entitlement. Rattler hasn't. He was due for a big slice of humble pie. And he's having to stuff his face with it this week.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Thanks for dispelling things. 

Would you be surprised if he entered the portal after this season?

Actually, I think he goes pro this season even if he doesn't get another snap. I think he's so confident in his "measurables" that he believes he'll win over the scouts during Pro Day and the Combine.

It's not an altogether foolish thought. Dude is absolutely amazing throwing a football in controlled environments. 

17 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I could see Caleb Williams being compared to these two guys leadership qualities. But Rattler?

I'm trying to be hopeful. For all my upbraiding of Rattler, I do believe he's still just a kid, and that it's still possible for him to turn it all around. 

13 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Baker, Kyler, Jalen, all the guys before him earned that swagger and entitlement. Rattler hasn't. He was due for a big slice of humble pie. And he's having to stuff his face with it this week.

And that right there is the source of my consternation...  those three were all humble. Oh sure, they were confident in their abilities, but they were humble before the game itself. It's something I see so woefully lacking in Rattler: he seems to think he's bigger than the game. But none of us are, not even the greatest of us. 

Everything in sport must be earned, nothing is given. 

• Thanks 1

For those of you nerds who appreciate a deeper analysis into player performance, this is an excellent article on Caleb Williams that has former NFL quarterback Sage Rosenfels breaking down five key plays Williams made during RRS: https://archive.ph/iNB2q

Sage Rosenfels first met Caleb Williams at a “QB Collective” camp more than five years ago and was immediately impressed by not only his physical skills but also his mental capacity. From the moment they met, Williams wanted to learn how to approach the game like a professional.

Rosenfels worked with Williams at approximately six camps throughout his high school career at Gonzaga College High in Washington, D.C.

Read the whole thing. 

5 minutes ago, LOL said:

And that right there is the source of my consternation...  those three were all humble. Oh sure, they were confident in their abilities, but they were humble before the game itself. It's something I see so woefully lacking in Rattler: he seems to think he's bigger than the game. But none of us are, not even the greatest of us. 

Everything in sport must be earned, nothing is given. 

Nailed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Goodness I never thought we'd be talking about this stuff in college football. Rattler is making the news in all the worst ways. The sad part is, I think the kid is amazing. If they could protect him, I have no doubt he can sling the ball as well or better than Caleb Williams. He just doesn't have the legs. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/spencer-rattler-becomes-case-study-for-nil-return-on-investment-with-oklahoma-starting-job-in-flux/

i haven't read the referenced article yet but I think I know where it goes.  There is no way that I would "fund", "sponsor" etc. a high school or college player.  Should the athletes get paid?  Sure, but it should be a flat salary across the board.

• Like 1

• Mr. P locked this topic