🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

Mr. P

Grinch has turned the defense almost completely around, but can he take us to the next level?

Rattler is no longer the inexperienced rookie, but is he ready to become a Heisman candidate?

We're losing a few key guys, but we've also got a lot of young talent that was battle-tested in 2020. 

How's the recruiting outlook heading into the off-season?

New year, new thread...  BOOMER SOONER! 

23 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Don’t understand this one unless he is following Daddy.

Yeah, he had the inside track to starting once Rattler goes to the NFL. Granted, I doubt he would've beaten Williams out, but he would've had more than a fair shot. 

That said: this is probably the best move for him in the long run. He'll likely start day 1, and being able to play for his dad is an extra bonus. 

10 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Just for fun, scroll back into the toxic hellscape of Sooner game threads from the Mike era...   then come back and enjoy the warm glow of satisfaction that comes form reading this post. 

Don Castiglione needs to make Grinch an offer he can't refuse. Money, title, stock options, or hell, erect a sculpture of him in the South Oval. Just keep him here!

4 hours ago, Valhalla said:

C40A39BB-DFBA-48A2-A6D6-7389DB27F76E.jpeg

sigh

A big loss, to be sure, but can't say I blame him. I think he would've stood to make even more money by coming back, but with all the uncertainty in *everything* these days, I can see why he'd want to cash in his chips now. 

On 1/1/2021 at 7:27 PM, LOL said:

Yeah, he had the inside track to starting once Rattler goes to the NFL. Granted, I doubt he would've beaten Williams out, but he would've had more than a fair shot. 

That said: this is probably the best move for him in the long run. He'll likely start day 1, and being able to play for his dad is an extra bonus. 

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

Most important guy that need to return in my opinion.

Yeah, he can play himself right into the first round if he continues on the current trajectory.

Still a bit rough around the edges, but he has a forward push like we haven't seen since Tommie Harris. 

17 hours ago, Valhalla said:

I don’t know if it was expected, but it is not surprising.

He has been recruited over.

Not surprising, just disappointing. I wish him well, but I also wish these kids would try to see the bigger picture. 

Unless he's being courted by some bigger program (or being promised to be the featured wideout at a smaller programs), I don't understand why he makes this jump. It's not like OU doesn't have a track record of sending wideouts to the NFL.

If he stays in the program, continues to develop, he'll continue to see targets. I know he's probably a little butthurt about the emergence of younger guys, but there's so much that can happen. Injuries, other guys flaking out, etc. He's a RS-junior who has three years of eligibility. That's a lifetime to establish yourself as an early first-round pick. 

7 minutes ago, LOL said:

Not surprising, just disappointing. I wish him well, but I also wish these kids would try to see the bigger picture. 

Unless he's being courted by some bigger program (or being promised to be the featured wideout at a smaller programs), I don't understand why he makes this jump. It's not like OU doesn't have a track record of sending wideouts to the NFL.

If he stays in the program, continues to develop, he'll continue to see targets. I know he's probably a little butthurt about the emergence of younger guys, but there's so much that can happen. Injuries, other guys flaking out, etc. He's a RS-junior who has three years of eligibility. That's a lifetime to establish yourself as an early first-round pick. 

Riley seems to be handling the extra year of eligibility for the players differently than other programs. 

Instead of letting the scholarship numbers inflate up to the temporary 110 limit he is still trying to stay at the 85 limit. I guess he would rather have hard conversations now than risk the ability to have room for the transfer portal guys or even recruits eventually.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Riley seems to be handling the extra year of eligibility for the players differently than other programs. 

Instead of letting the scholarship numbers inflate up to the temporary 110 limit he is still trying to stay at the 85 limit. I guess he would rather have hard conversations now than risk the ability to have room for the transfer portal guys or even recruits eventually.

Hmm, I guess I haven't been following that too closely. Do you anticipate something like that happening? It seems disingenuous to rollback certain restrictions, only to come back and re-impose them "after COVID."

Like raising the speed limit to 75 for a year, then coming back and lowering it to 55. You'd basically be setting people up to be pulled over. 

6 minutes ago, LOL said:

Hmm, I guess I haven't been following that too closely. Do you anticipate something like that happening? It seems disingenuous to rollback certain restrictions, only to come back and re-impose them "after COVID."

Like raising the speed limit to 75 for a year, then coming back and lowering it to 55. You'd basically be setting people up to be pulled over. 

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/Ramifications-if-Scholarship-Limit-Returns-to-85-for-2022-151810273/

This is a good article about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Valhalla said:

2021 was about winning something bigger than that.

It's a shame, but not entirely unexpected. The world is different today. 

But it's still a shame. 

• Mr. P locked this topic