🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

LOL

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Yeah, some guy who purports to be a UT insider is claiming that he talked to an OU staffer who said Rattler's gonna be in the Transfer Portal in the next few days. Meanwhile literally none of the actual OU insiders, who typically break stories like this, know what he's talking about. 

miiC56V.gif

Thanks for dispelling things. 

Would you be surprised if he entered the portal after this season?

1 minute ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I could see Caleb Williams being compared to these two guys leadership qualities. But Rattler?

I remember watching Rattler in that QB1 documentary on Netflix. Granted it was high school, but he has always come off to me as a ME over TEAM player. I've been overly critical of him because I just think the kid has an entitled attitude because he was QB1 for OU. But Baker, Kyler, Jalen, all the guys before him earned that swagger and entitlement. Rattler hasn't. He was due for a big slice of humble pie. And he's having to stuff his face with it this week.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Thanks for dispelling things. 

Would you be surprised if he entered the portal after this season?

Actually, I think he goes pro this season even if he doesn't get another snap. I think he's so confident in his "measurables" that he believes he'll win over the scouts during Pro Day and the Combine.

It's not an altogether foolish thought. Dude is absolutely amazing throwing a football in controlled environments. 

17 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I could see Caleb Williams being compared to these two guys leadership qualities. But Rattler?

I'm trying to be hopeful. For all my upbraiding of Rattler, I do believe he's still just a kid, and that it's still possible for him to turn it all around. 

13 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Baker, Kyler, Jalen, all the guys before him earned that swagger and entitlement. Rattler hasn't. He was due for a big slice of humble pie. And he's having to stuff his face with it this week.

And that right there is the source of my consternation...  those three were all humble. Oh sure, they were confident in their abilities, but they were humble before the game itself. It's something I see so woefully lacking in Rattler: he seems to think he's bigger than the game. But none of us are, not even the greatest of us. 

Everything in sport must be earned, nothing is given. 

• Thanks 1

For those of you nerds who appreciate a deeper analysis into player performance, this is an excellent article on Caleb Williams that has former NFL quarterback Sage Rosenfels breaking down five key plays Williams made during RRS: https://archive.ph/iNB2q

Sage Rosenfels first met Caleb Williams at a “QB Collective” camp more than five years ago and was immediately impressed by not only his physical skills but also his mental capacity. From the moment they met, Williams wanted to learn how to approach the game like a professional.

Rosenfels worked with Williams at approximately six camps throughout his high school career at Gonzaga College High in Washington, D.C.

Read the whole thing. 

5 minutes ago, LOL said:

And that right there is the source of my consternation...  those three were all humble. Oh sure, they were confident in their abilities, but they were humble before the game itself. It's something I see so woefully lacking in Rattler: he seems to think he's bigger than the game. But none of us are, not even the greatest of us. 

Everything in sport must be earned, nothing is given. 

Nailed it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Goodness I never thought we'd be talking about this stuff in college football. Rattler is making the news in all the worst ways. The sad part is, I think the kid is amazing. If they could protect him, I have no doubt he can sling the ball as well or better than Caleb Williams. He just doesn't have the legs. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/spencer-rattler-becomes-case-study-for-nil-return-on-investment-with-oklahoma-starting-job-in-flux/

i haven't read the referenced article yet but I think I know where it goes.  There is no way that I would "fund", "sponsor" etc. a high school or college player.  Should the athletes get paid?  Sure, but it should be a flat salary across the board.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LOL said:

Yeah, but it's a crying shame we can't have a good defense and a good offense at the same time. 

That’s like dating Miss October and being upset that she can’t discuss the finer points of “All The Pretty Horses” with you. You can’t have it all. 

• LOL! 1

3 hours ago, Stoney said:

That’s like dating Miss October and being upset that she can’t discuss the finer points of “All The Pretty Horses” with you. You can’t have it all. 

At this point I'd settle for Miss Rusk County and the DaVinci Code.