🔴 Sooners 2021 thread

Mr. P

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

Oklahoma is going to have to figure out which FCS school they want to play in November now.

I've heard rumblings of Midwestern State, or Commerce jumping to the Southland and could use some money...

On 7/23/2021 at 1:25 PM, Valhalla said:

Oklahoma is going to have to figure out which FCS school they want to play in November now.

Still have never understood the whining about this. 

Whether you play that extra "cupcake" game earlier in the season or whether you move it to later in the season as an "off" week to recover from conference, what's the issue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Whether you play that extra "cupcake" game earlier in the season or whether you move it to later in the season as an "off" week to recover from conference, what's the issue?

In late season, ranking movement can be very vital in who makes the playoffs and who doesn’t.  If the #4 team has to play #7 and loses the #5 team benefits while playing a whipping post team and blowing them out.  If you can’t see that, it’s because you don’t want to

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

In late season, ranking movement can be very vital in who makes the playoffs and who doesn’t.  If the #4 team has to play #7 and loses the #5 team benefits while playing a whipping post team and blowing them out.  If you can’t see that, it’s because you don’t want to

I cringe to say this but he’s actually making a good point. It doesn’t have to be two top ten teams, but I do think it should still be conference games. I can recall a few times that A&M screwed up our season with an upset win on Thanksgiving. 

4 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

It's not a hill I'd ever die on, but I feel like something should "lock down" once you start conference, league, or district play. 

Sure, it's probably an outdated high school mindset, but that's just my preference. Save the cupcakes for "pre-season" play. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LOL said:

It's not a hill I'd ever die on, but I feel like something should "lock down" once you start conference, league, or district play. 

Sure, it's probably an outdated high school mindset, but that's just my preference. Save the cupcakes for "pre-season" play. 

I get this standpoint. Otherwise, you play everyone on your schedule and your body of work shows it, no matter when you played them. Sounds like people have an issue with the playoff committee. 

22 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I get this standpoint. Otherwise, you play everyone on your schedule and your body of work shows it, no matter when you played them. Sounds like people have an issue with the playoff committee. 

The SEC is the only conference that does this and it is an advantage. Whether it’s basically guaranteeing you don’t slide in the rankings that week or say the main advantage is it’s basically glorified practice, there are two distinct advantages SEC teams have in November every season that other conferences do not.

59 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

I cringe to say this but he’s actually making a good point. It doesn’t have to be two top ten teams, but I do think it should still be conference games. I can recall a few times that A&M screwed up our season with an upset win on Thanksgiving. 

I understand that, but how many of the sec powers actually play a team with a pulse that weekend.  It has worked in their favor almost always.  

47 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

It’s all about timing.  Always has been. When other conference teams possibly get knocked off,  the sec teams were getting guaranteed wins.  IF the other guys list, it propelled the sec teams up the rankings.  

7 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Instead of half your conference getting another loss late in the season they all win while half of the rest of the P5 is talking a loss. It’s ranking manipulation.

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Instead of half your conference getting another loss late in the season they all win while half of the rest of the P5 is talking a loss. It’s ranking manipulation.

That’s unfair and practically cheating!…….

Count me in!

17 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Not even close. 

Let's say A&M was going to play Auburn in Week 10 but instead plays them in Week 3. 

Half the conference is getting losses in Week 3 instead of Week 10. Why does it make a difference when the loss is? 

Are you saying that late-season losses count more in rankings? If so, then again, it sounds like you have an issue with the ranking system that puts an emphasis more on late-season. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 9:04 AM, Stoney said:

$40? You can buy a lot of keystone and $1 scratchers for that.

Lol, imagine spending actual money to watch a scrimmage. 

I'll be relying on Russian hackers for this'n, thank you very much. 

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/09/oklahoma-sooners-football-bob-stoops-big-12-sec-expansion/

“The Big 12 is last in line for all TV contracts”, Stoops stated. “In fact we’re the only conference that doesn’t have a Big 12 network, like the SEC Network, the ACC Network, the Big Ten. All ours is just live-streamed. So in the end this is an opportunity to protect our financial interests for the years to come and our brand. The University of Oklahoma is a top-five brand in football.”

Yep, in the end it's not about tradition or history or anything other than tv deals and money and managing the brand. It's something the Big XII leadership couldn't (or wouldn't) understand. 

It ain't show friends, it's show business. 

An interesting read about how Mike Woods came to his decision to transfer from Arkie: https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/2021/08/15/ou-football-how-arkansas-transfer-mike-woods-fits-sooners-wr-corps/5550676001/

It all happened so fast for Michael Woods.

On April 17, the senior wide receiver was sprinting down the right sideline and hauling in an over-the-shoulder touchdown reception during Arkansas’ spring game.

On April 20, he was making headlines by announcing his intention to enter the transfer portal.

“It was just something that was on my mind, and I felt it was the best move for my career to just find another opportunity,” Woods said. “It was very, very hectic. Had many teams reaching out to me.”

But Woods didn’t need to hear every teams’ pitch.

Just three days after entering the portal, the veteran wide receiver announced his commitment to Oklahoma in a decision he claims didn’t need much second-guessing.

“As a wide receiver, you look at OU every year putting out these big numbers and every receiver wants to be in an offense like this,” Woods said. “So it was pretty easy when they reached out to me.”

Now a Sooner, Woods joins a receiver corps that has plenty of depth.

Atop the list is Marvin Mims, a 5-foot-11 sophomore who made an immediate name for himself last season. Mims recorded team-highs of 610 yards and nine touchdowns, but expectations are even higher for him this time around.

“(Last season) definitely came as a surprise to me,” Mims said. “But coming into this year it's a whole other mindset. You know, I've done it for a year. Now I'm coming in, I'm ready to build.”

Then there's Theo Wease.

The 6-foot-3 junior tied with Mims for a team-high 37 receptions last season, which he converted into 530 yards and four touchdowns. In addition to being a top target this season, Wease is embracing his role as a vocal leader.

“I would definitely say I've stepped up a little bit, being more of a leader, more vocal,” Wease said. “I have some of the most experience in the room. I've played some of the most in the offense. So definitely being in leadership, taking the young guys under the wing, teaching them the offense, the ins and outs.”

'Takes a player to know one': Why OU's tight end trio is a great homecoming gift for Joe Jon Finley

Meanwhile, Jadon Haselwood is the X-factor of the group.

The 6-foot-3 redshirt sophomore is a former five-star recruit who only played in three games last season due to a knee injury, but he should be a big-play threat in 2021 now that he's fully healthy.

“I’m just really excited for the season because I feel like some people forgot,” Haselwood said. “So I’ve got to show them what I can still do, you know what I mean?”

OU also has a group of freshmen who hope to contribute right away.

Mario Williams is a speedster who can make guys miss in the open field, Jalil Farooq is a versatile prospect who could also get opportunities out of the backfield and Cody Jackson has a knack for tracking deep balls.

Throw in Woods, who recorded career-highs of 619 receiving yards and five touchdowns last season with Arkansas, and OU quarterback Spencer Rattler has plenty of weapons at his disposal.

"I feel like it's no ceiling, like the sky is really the limit," Haselwood said. "And I feel we're gonna do numbers this year. I'm really excited."

OU receiver depth chart

Name, Year, Ht., Wt., Hometown (Last School)

X receiver
Theo Wease, Jr., 6-2, 200, Allen, Texas
Mike Woods, Sr., 6-1, 198, Magnolia, Texas (Arkansas)
Jalil Farooq, Fr., 6-1, 203, Landham, Maryland

Y receiver
Jadon Haselwood, RSo., 6-3, 202, Ellenwood, Georgia
Drake Stoops, RJr., 5-10, 190, Norman, Oklahoma
Brian Darby, So., 6-0, 200, College Station, Texas

Z receiver
Marvin Mims, So., 5-11, 177, Frisco, Texas
Mario Williams, Fr., 5-9, 186, Tampa, Florida
Cody Jackson, Fr., 5-11, 180, Richmond, Texas

• Mr. P locked this topic